Preview Round 3, 2020: Richmond v Hawthorn, 18 June 2020, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarko has given us a structure that makes it hard to recover if we lose a lot of clearances, so Martin out for them and JOM in for us is massive. If we can prevent their runners from running it inside their forward 50 too often, a tall defence isn't so bad against Richmond. They tend to do a lot of kick-and-hope entries, so if we can stop those balls hitting the ground and hand it quickly to Sicily (or even Frost who seems to like to move the ball quickly out of defensive 50) we might be ok.

On the other hand, if we get smacked in the midfield again like we did last week, I can see this getting uglier than the Geelong scoreline. I reckon our midfield stack up pretty well given the outs and ins for each team, so fingers crossed.

We seemed to have been somewhat unlucky with copping the hardest part of our draw early. With Mitchell and Patton not having been on the park consistently for a very long time, it would have been nice to have some easy games early while they got up to speed. I reckon we'll be looking much better late in the season (which always seems to be the case with us these days). With Mitchell and Patton getting games under their belt, and Impy not far away, I think we have a lot of upside. The question is can we grab enough games in this period to be close enough to have a decent shot at finals by the end of the year. The answer in the odd numbered years appears to have been no lately, but this is an even year, and we haven't missed finals in an even year since 2006 I believe!
In fact since 2006, we've only missed out on top 4 (after H&A) once in an even year, and that was 10 years ago (ok, so I've chosen a period where we were largely dominant no matter what the year, but it's my story, and I'm sticking to it!).

O’Brien gets to contest after contest after contest. Not sure Lewis has developed sufficient tank to do that.

He has Bris, running the time trial well into the 6s, tank is now a strength. It’s more about understanding the game and the flow, he needs to play and continue to develop. We’ve given TOB 4-5 years of consistent chances and the rewards has been minimal, time to change.

We will struggle to kick 10 goals tonight, Clarko will be drumming home the defensive structure after last weeks avalanche. Expect a snooze fest, I’m tipping it’ll be another game when I look down at the clock and can see only 5-6 min left in a quarter and hoping for us to score.

The tricky part about our side is that the team looks solid on paper through all lines.
I think this might be the reason why clarko is hesitant to change it around too much so early in to the season. But , I'm still confused wıth the non selection of Lewis and scrimshaw.

Here’s a fun fact for everyone.. Tonight’s selected 22 is the OLDEST in VFL/AFL history. Are we expecting this side to develop more?

11/22 playing tonight are either turning 30 or are 30+ years old. We have 4 guys who are emergencies that have enough talent and excellent upside missing out.

Scrimshaw - 21
Lewis - 21
Jones - 21
Morrison - 21

We also have CJ - 21 and Finn - 19 who are physically ready and need to be developed.

Adding 3-4 of these 19-21 year olds will not hurt us, they are professional athletes, they know the system and we have enough experience around them to ensure they can assimilate and adapt with little concern.

Who comes in for Mitchell when he pulls the pin later today?

I feel like sometimes footy can be pretty simple - you still win if you kick more goals than the opposition. O'brien has kicked 51 goals in 64 games (0.79 a game) in his sixth season. Conversely, Lewis has 20 goals over 14 games (1.42/game) in his second season.

If they're hell bent on a mobile forward, let Gunston be that...
Gunston can’t play as the long kick down the line. It kills him. O’Brien is providing a structural role, not a third tall role. Lewis is fighting for Patton’s spot.

11/22 playing tonight are either turning 30 or are 30+ years old. We have 4 guys who are emergencies that have enough talent and excellent upside missing out.

Scrimshaw - 21
Lewis - 21
Jones - 21
Morrison - 21

We also have CJ - 21 and Finn - 19 who are physically ready and need to be developed.

Adding 3-4 of these 19-21 year olds will not hurt us, they are professional athletes, they know the system and we have enough experience around them to ensure they can assimilate and adapt with little concern.
Scrimshaw and Lewis should be in the side.

Still expect to get done though, we are treacle slow

Pace won't matter if you play it in the air which is what hawks are planning to replicate the pies game plan

All my money is on hawks by 7 goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back