Review Round 3, 2021 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watching some of the replay I thought Ballenden used his body a lot better in the ruck. Fullarton has talent but his natural instinct is clearly to avoid body contact. I’d be tempted to give Ballenden a few games in the second ruck position at Fullartons expense until McStay is back.

I think Fullartons work in the ruck was deliberate and planned. Probably why he did well in clearances.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
aahh what a BEAUTIFUL start to the weekend.

a lot of great points on here. Super happy for McCluggage. I want Berry to be back with that hunger too.

The contest of McCluggage vs Noble was a thing of beauty. It didn't lead to a goal (Lyons missed), but thats probably the pure definition of wanting the ball more.

oh, and for all us without fox/kayo or whoever knows what, the replay is up on the afl site. might make this good friday even better with a re-watch :D

well considering the real fixture was to be at the Gabba I’m not sure why they’re so disappointed.

L O G I C
O
G
I
C
Fixture was swapped with Rd22. This WAS a Pies home game, and the R22 will now be at the Gabba.

Of course, it's not our fault that their home game was at Marvel... Rd22 was at Marvel as their home game anyway... This is just the fixture.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah , nah

Considering he played for the Pies , I thought his "call" of the closing stages was pretty good.

He also called out the disgraceful umpiring howler that cost us a win in the Geelong game.....and immediately

Back in the studio after the game, Lyon and Reiwoldt did their best to sweep it under the carpet even though it was clear that Browny was fuming

BT does tend to waffle sometimes and he's not the most technically accurate caller you'll ever hear.

Other than that, I find him pretty even handed and entertaining.

Yeah he can be annoying but calls it as he sees it

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The way Lester was called to play on and had to handball quickly reminded me of the start of the final play in this:

Just had to go in both circumstances and we did. Some real similarities between the two endings.

The survivors >

Still at the club- Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko, Ryan Lester. > Jed Adcock and Dan Merrett coaching.

Still playing elsewhere- Sam Mayes, Jack Redden, Tom Rockliff, Sam Docherty, Elliot Yeo.

Justin Clarke- Mr Clarke plans to do a Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Science at Oxford's Thermofluids Institute, modelling hypersonic pulse tunnels :eek: .

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Really nice win but for me it was a game we should have won. Collingwood are not a good side. Personally I thought we played poorly and were lucky to get the win. We are still playing way too slowly and just are not moving the ball as we need to do.

On some of the players:

Adams - interesting how many people thought he was fantastic and Payne was ordinary. Both made a couple of howlers in the first half that cost goals. Overall though both were good and their direct opponents did not much all night. Adams improved as the game went on and was very good in the last quarter. Payne had a couple of poor kicks in the first but was otherwise rock solid with the ball and was actually more composed with ball in hand than Adams. Adams threw his body around late and was effective in neutralising quite a lot of contests in the second half.

Rich - BOG for the Lions. Great game and most of the good stuff from the Lions started with him. Got to contests defensively.

Robertson - looked ready for AFL football this time around. Played well both inside and outside and stood up physically a fair few times when he needed to. He does need to improve his running as he was found out a few times with his man running away from him. The other thing he needs to do is move the ball on quicker. Every time he got it last night the game ground to a halt and he let Collingwood recover. Historically he has had issues with his kicking and I think he was trying to be safe with the ball. Overall though you can't be other than very happy with his game last night.

Andrews - I thought was actually pretty good. He got a tough job on Cox who was actually getting some pretty good ball last night and he was doing well. He made a few good intercept marks. There has been a lot of talk about Moore being AA level this year but really Andrews looked just as good and I expect has conceded less goal.

Starcevich - was another who I thought was fairly ordinary in the first half but pulled his game together in the second and by the end was playing very well.

Cameron - did not look interested most of the time and only put in short efforts over the match. Another poor game from him and based on the first three weeks he is one I would be dropping if a message needed to be sent.

Berry - showed up Cameron big time with his effort. Looked more comfortable at this level than last year and worked his arse off all game. Got to better spots to receive this time around and was more dangerous as a result. Nice game from him.

Hipwood - worked hard and provided both a link and a goal scoring threat. I would still like him to be one clutching his marks more but he was good last night.

Fullarton - was out of his depth against Grundy and Cox. He worked hard around the ground but even there he was smashed by Grundy. With guys to come back in I would be dropping Fullarton and rucking Daniher.

Ah Chee - gave nothing up forward and was a liability there. Was moved back and did a few things defensively but was not a factor going forward. He is another I would be dropping.

Good analysis there mate, but have to disagree with your first point that it was a game we should have won. There were a few hurdles in front of us. Poor preparation, our number one ruck out against an AA quality player in Grundy, fear of the unknown about what was happening in QLD with their families, the pressure of potentially facing a 0-3 start to the season and playing at a ground we haven’t been to in a long time. Just felt that lots of things were against us and we made no excuses and managed to fight tooth and nail to get the job done. I’m a very, very proud supporter today.

Collingwood not as poor as I thought they would be this year watching them live. Not saying they are a top 8 side, but certainly not easy beats.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Justin Clarke- Mr Clarke plans to do a Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Science at Oxford's Thermofluids Institute, modelling hypersonic pulse tunnels :eek: .

I like to think in the future when Dr Justin Clarke is accepting his Nobel Prize and they ask him his most exciting moment he will simply say, “Miracle on Grass”.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I like to think in the future when Dr Justin Clarke is accepting his Nobel Prize and they ask him his most exciting moment he will simply say, “Miracle on Grass”.

Justin’s first words when he takes humanity’s first step on to the surface of Mars.

“Yeah. Feels pretty amazing but not as good as when Ash McGrath...”

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
“It’s to do with my back. I had a scan and it wasn’t a great result. There’s a little bit in there but that’s something that I’ll deal with. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to really say too much, it wasn’t a great result on the scan,” Neale said.

That doesn't sound good at all :huh:

I think we might need to rest Neale for a couple of matches IMO right now and not risk him having a long-term injury in the latter stages of the season/finals where we most need him playing.

Plus, it can also give more experience to someone like Robertson for example who will only blossom from more game-day experience as a result and allow us to improve our midfield depth from Neale not playing a couple of matches.

How long is Lachie likely to be out for, assuming he is? And if he's out, who takes his place?

Zacs_Magic_Tooth

Senior List
Apr 1, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was there again last night.

HOW GOOD WAS THAT!!!

Only thing better than beating Collingwood is beating them by a point, only thing better than that is beating them after the siren.

Also, karma is real.
There is still a requirement that a legitimate high tackle on Joel Selwood in the square goes unrewarded in the dying stages, allowing Hawthorn to hold on in a nail biter, for the karma bus to complete its route.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Danaher plays like a guy who is a superstar who got signed by last year's wooden spooners. He's needs to realise he has done absolutely nothing the last couple of years and is only there because McStay was the weakest player in a prelim final from last year. Someone needs to tell him to pull his ******* head in I don't care how many cheapies he kicks.

WTF.. he was great?

So I'm away ATM and can't watch the replay so maybe someone can check this out.

there was a tackle on Harris early on in the game, it was a legit holding the bag call against him. As he stood on the mark he made a comment to the umpire along the lines of 'that wasn't holding the ball lasts week'.

I'd love if someone knows the exact quote if they could post it. I want to use it as the bottom bit (whatever is called) with my posts. It was awesome.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I'm away ATM and can't watch the replay so maybe someone can check this out.

there was a tackle on Harris early on in the game, it was a legit holding the bag call against him. As he stood on the mark he made a comment to the umpire along the lines of 'that wasn't holding the ball lasts week'.

I'd love if someone knows the exact quote if they could post it. I want to use it as the bottom bit (whatever is called) with my posts. It was awesome.
That was exactly what he said. "That wasn't holding the ball last week".

Im not sure its a good option. I hated hearing him say it. Just a small crack of immaturity coming from someone the group calls 'Dad'. I didn't like it one bit.

Back