Review Round 3, 2021 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nic Nat currently showing Bucks how dominating the hitouts can actually benefit the team.

I was surprised how ineffectual that huge hit out/ ruck differential was for Collingwood

I was expecting that Grundy would sooner or later start roving his own hit outs and hurt us more that way.

It just didn't seem to happen though

Whether that was because of the good work of our on ballers in nullifying him or Collingwood just didn't know how to set up properly I'm not sure

So I just finished watching a full replay of the match and as a result, gained a new appreciation of what absolute rocks in defence both Andrews and Lester were.

Anyone who reckons Andrews is "out of form" should go and have a good look at how many times he took relieving marks or otherwise defused dangerous situations deep in our back half.

I gave Lester a vote in the afterglow of the win but now I feel almost ashamed that I didn't give Andrews one as well

Mitch Robbo had his best game for 18 months I reckon. He took his time with his kicks.
Birchall and Lester good down back.
Really proud of the team after a difficult week👍👍
Mitch has showed over the last 2 weeks that he is actually a decent kick when he needs to be. Clearly been told his hack kicks are not needed as much this year and playing a different role to last year where he can now pinpoint his kick a bit more.

Grundy was fantastic around the ground and is an extra midfielder... his massacre of Fullarton in the ball ups/throw ins didn't translate to an overall domination by their team though, that is why I agree with Buckley, hit out wins irrelevant and to advantage are fine but can be covered quite easily if your set up at stoppages is adequate, which it wasn't a couple of times last night.
So.... is Bucks now questioning the big $'s he is on.

I just mentioned the same thing. Ballenden kept initiating body contact whereas Fullarton avoided it and actually would've been far better off just staying down and helping to shark Grundy.

Everyone said Ballenden was our worst player but he showed more than I expected off his last performance.
Yea, thought Ballenden was a lot more physical in ruck than he has been previously. Was thinking he would not develop but he may be a slow burn as he learns how to use his big frame. Fullarton will be a ripper in years to come when he strengthens up. Great hands for a big bloke.

So.... is Bucks now questioning the big $'s he is on.
We'll find out if it starts leaking that Grundy's partner is based in Timbuktu or something.

So I just finished watching a full replay of the match and as a result, gained a new appreciation of what absolute rocks in defence both Andrews and Lester were.

Anyone who reckons Andrews is "out of form" should go and have a good look at how many times he took relieving marks or otherwise defused dangerous situations deep in our back half.

I gave Lester a vote in the afterglow of the win but now I feel almost ashamed that I didn't give Andrews one as well

I heartily concur.

People usually rate the offensive areas above the defensive. Our mids still have a bit to do in defensive running and pressure around the contest and I think the two you mentioned showed their experience that more or less won us the game in spite of that. Andrews in particular was huge.

I've been a staunch supporter of Froggy over the years. People focus on his lack of pace, but it's actually not that bad - it just takes him a bit longer than most to get to top speed. But it's his work once the ball hits the deck that is most impressive. Rarely gets muscled off the ball and usually nullifies the contest to allow help to arrive.

Rohan Connolly, absolute idiot. Stay away from his twitter feed. Other bloke in an Iron Maiden hoodie and backwards cap. What the?

Nah, Connolly’s Twitter feed is 🔥

intelligent, articulate and generally speaks truth to power...only thing you can really knock him for is being a Pie fan, which is a massive blind spot for him!

intelligent, articulate and generally speaks truth to power...only thing you can really knock him for is being a Pie fan, which is a massive blind spot for him!

How could you possibly think he is a Collingwood supporter ? All he ever talks about is Essendon. He is a decent footy journo but his political commentary is so left sided I'm stunned he can stand up straight. Another who is happy to call out one side which more often than they deserve lately but goes missing in action when his side is at fault.

Joe is an unconventional player and the sooner people accept that the better.

If you expect him to play conventionally you are going to neuter him significantly. Having different expectations and requirements of an individual player might go against what we think is “lions footy” but this is what we signed up for.

We haven’t gone all in on a player like this since Aker. For your own enjoyment and sanity... strap yourself in and enjoy the ride and don’t harp on every single moment that doesn’t quite come off.

I love the Joe show.
It might not have been clear in my previous post, but absolutely this.

You need players on your team to be points of difference, and the forward line is the best place for this. Joe is a great one and he is actually another smart footballer with a massive kick which can give him excellent delivery into the forward line.

The kick when he was on the 50 and purposely kicked it flat over the centre corridor to the fat side for Charlie (not the one where Charlie wrecked Howe) is a perfect example of what a great key forward brings to the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heartily concur.

People usually rate the offensive areas above the defensive. Our mids still have a bit to do in defensive running and pressure around the contest and I think the two you mentioned showed their experience that more or less won us the game in spite of that. Andrews in particular was huge.

I've been a staunch supporter of Froggy over the years. People focus on his lack of pace, but it's actually not that bad - it just takes him a bit longer than most to get to top speed. But it's his work once the ball hits the deck that is most impressive. Rarely gets muscled off the ball and usually nullifies the contest to allow help to arrive.
The backline was under a lot of pressure early and looked slow because of Grundy's dominance which was hard to defend when they were getting first use of the ball.

But they stood up fairly well and got better as they game wore on once things evened up in the M/F. They were very good on the defensive side of things with many pressure acts ,strong tackling an great teamwork/backing each other up when the ball was in dispute . The one negative was they were too slow bringing it out on occasions but not being at the ground it's often hard to tell what the field ahead really looks like, nor what instructions they were under.

Mitch has showed over the last 2 weeks that he is actually a decent kick when he needs to be. Clearly been told his hack kicks are not needed as much this year and playing a different role to last year where he can now pinpoint his kick a bit more.

Mitch is also an important momentum starter. Doesn't sound like much but, like in this game, is a pivotal role that changes the course of the game and makes up for some clangers along the way.

Disagree but we all welcome to our opinion. Speaks truth to power... does not hold an opinion that goes against the twitter mob, not exactly brave. Hardly difficult to stick the boot into news corp or scomo on twitter right now.

Finished watching the game last night and concur re Andrews and Lester - both very solid in defense. As was Adams who was very impressive

Also love the dynamic that is developing between Charlie and Joe. Combined for just the one goal but should have been two

Finished watching the game last night and concur re Andrews and Lester - both very solid in defense. As was Adams who was very impressive

The abuse Harro and Rich were copping in our match thread was baffling. Genuinely made me wonder if I was watching a different game.

Have we ever lost a match without Lester being mentioned by some of the experts around here as an "OUT for next week"?

The fact of the matter is that he does all the little things consistently well and most of the more difficult acts in an understated but professional manner.

The most criminally underrated player in our side.

Have we ever lost a match without Lester being mentioned by some of the experts around here as an "OUT for next week"?

The fact of the matter is that he does all the little things consistently well and most of the more difficult acts in an understated but professional manner.

got to agree about Lester, he's just a no frills sort of guy who backs up week after week. Harris on the other hand was slow, nervous , and early on
looked really scared. We need to watch out that we don't do the same thing to him as we did with big sauce. He carried our defence and lived with constant pressure till he didn't want to do it anymore. maybe getting Gardiner back can settle him down. But Gardiner coming back leaves us with a very slow and too big defence.

I think it’s pretty easy to sum up Froggy.

A player not as talented as many others on the list, but a player that gets the absolute best out of himself.

A great leader, professional and well liked by other players. The type of bloke that can really help to develop and ingrain a positive culture at the club.

Some may say he is too vanilla, but rarely gets beaten and just plays his role each week. Just bleeds maroon, blue and gold.

Every club needs a player like Froggy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't think he's underrated overall. Like all role players when the team doesn't go so hot the spotlight falls on them because they don't appear to be doing much.

I never thought he'd make it as a regular player and I was wrong . He's improved his skill level consistently every year the last 3 or 4 years and shows what discipline and tenacity can achieve . Each player in the back line cops criticism from time to time but every one of them is a good player.

Lester had a fantastic year last year.. I say his best since being at the club.
Although seems he is the first out of the side each week on BF.. No idea why.
Payne does some good things and young although not the consistency and cool head yet like Lester

Back