Review Round 3, 2021 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A cool head yes, that's Lester. Always seems calm and composed and makes the right decision while some around him lose their heads a bit

The abuse Harro and Rich were copping in our match thread was baffling. Genuinely made me wonder if I was watching a different game.

You know what's weird? I thought Rich was very sloppy watching it live, but upon watching the replay he and Birch were great. The issues they had were thanks to shallow entries and poor turnovers up the field.

Lester had a fantastic year last year.. I say his best since being at the club.
Although seems he is the first out of the side each week on BF.. No idea why.
Payne does some good things and young although not the consistency and cool head yet like Lester
Yep agree, and Jack Payne is only 21 years of age, very young for a KPP, he has shown enough for me to think he will be a very good player for us in a couple of years. Harris and Jack will be fantastic twin talls to build our defence around for the next 7-8 years.

The abuse Harro and Rich were copping in our match thread was baffling. Genuinely made me wonder if I was watching a different game.

You must have been. Dan Rich's defensive efforts were piss poor all night. His last QTR was huge attack wise but only because Collingwood had gone defensive. Massive liability when we don't have the ball

You must have been. Dan Rich's defensive efforts were piss poor all night. His last QTR was huge attack wise but only because Collingwood had gone defensive. Massive liability when we don't have the ball

Disagree. Didn’t gave a great defensive night but nothing close to warranting the scapegoating he was copping.

He was influential otherwise, and not just in the 4th quarter.

If Rich did the attacking thigs he does and was great defensively as well he'd be one of the greatest of all time . You can't expect someone of his athletic abilities which are only average to get up the ground a bit so we can get the ball in his hands and then be able to double back defensively super quick. He's also not got a great leap so he's susceptible to someone getting over the top of him or someone bigger or quicker controlling the contest in front of him.

He's made the absolute most of his strength and power and his elite kicking skills plus his judgement as when to go and when not to to become one of the best half backs in the game. And just about the most damaging when he's on song. So for that we should be grateful.

I think it’s pretty easy to sum up Froggy.

A player not as talented as many others on the list, but a player that gets the absolute best out of himself.

A great leader, professional and well liked by other players. The type of bloke that can really help to develop and ingrain a positive culture at the club.

Some may say he is too vanilla, but rarely gets beaten and just plays his role each week. Just bleeds maroon, blue and gold.

Every club needs a player like Froggy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
One of Melbourne's many mistakes back in the tanking days was getting rid of James McDonald

Disagree. Didn’t gave a great defensive night but nothing close to warranting the scapegoating he was copping.

He was influential otherwise, and not just in the 4th quarter.

It's not his defensive skills that is bothering me. It's his laziness when the ball comes down from packs. He just stood there and let others run past him all night. I saw it live and I saw it again watching it this afternoon. The fact we won and mainly from his boot is hiding it. Can't do that against the Dogs, they will shred us.

Finally getting around to watching the game. Just finished the first half.

Gifted them a couple of goals coming out of defence kicking to a two on one. Couldn't believe what I saw but easily fixed.

Forward entries not to our forwards advantage a little frustrating.

Robbo was a shining light for mine in the first half. Effort personified, even a couple of lace out passes in there too lol.

Impressed with Collingwood's pressure from the start of the game till about half way through the second qtr.

Have we ever lost a match without Lester being mentioned by some of the experts around here as an "OUT for next week"?

The fact of the matter is that he does all the little things consistently well and most of the more difficult acts in an understated but professional manner.

The most criminally underrated player in our side.

Actually he gets mentioned as an OUT for next week after we win matches as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't notice any of that TBH. A couple of basic skill errors but thats it. I didn't see any hanger attempts that were out of place, I didn't see any look away passes, didn't see any selfish shots at goal. Saw him working hard up the wing for 18 possessions and 9 marks and saw him kick 3.3 on Moore. A bit lost with this angle.
If he had kicked 5 ( he missed some sitters ) on Moore - in the votes. He is impactful and can only get better imo. Penetrating kick ..

Yep, already looks like Hippy is benefitting. Getting more goals and can go up the ground more if he isn't seeing it much
He's a high forward that leads up, connects with defenders and offers options. He's 204 cms and athletic - set him free. Loved his set shot preparation - long run up and steady on impact. And straight thru'. Touch of the JB's.

Mitch has showed over the last 2 weeks that he is actually a decent kick when he needs to be. Clearly been told his hack kicks are not needed as much this year and playing a different role to last year where he can now pinpoint his kick a bit more.
Mitch is the firestarter. His 2nd qtr efforts got all fans buzzing. Up and about.

Disagree but we all welcome to our opinion. Speaks truth to power... does not hold an opinion that goes against the twitter mob, not exactly brave. Hardly difficult to stick the boot into news corp or scomo on twitter right now.

Not sure why you’re talking about bravery but since you are, it’s much braver to call out both Newscorp and Scomo’s shitshow than it is to take shots at those who do

Re: opinions, remember that there’re not two sides to every debate; sometimes ppl are just too lazy to do the reading to have an informed opinion and should be called out

But whatever, you’re entitled to express an opinion and others are entitled to point out the flaws in it 😎

meh, Collingwood or Dons...either way his football judgement is rekt

Also, people who make ‘both sides’ arguments are generally politically illiterate...I’m sure you’re an exception but it is what it is 🤷‍♂️
There are absolutely things for which there is a clear right and a clear wrong. Those almost always involve a body count. For everything else, being able to tolerate alternative viewpoints is a necessity.

There are absolutely things for which there is a clear right and a clear wrong. Those almost always involve a body count.

Good West Wing quote.

But then there is also the Paradox of Intolerance.

Not sure why you’re talking about bravery but since you are, it’s much braver to call out both Newscorp and Scomo’s shitshow than it is to take shots at those who do

Re: opinions, remember that there’re not two sides to every debate; sometimes ppl are just too lazy to do the reading to have an informed opinion and should be called out

But whatever, you’re entitled to express an opinion and others are entitled to point out the flaws in it 😎
Don't want to derail a footy thread into politics so I'll just say you are clearly smarter and more well informed than the rest of us, you say so yourself.

Don't want to derail a footy thread into politics so I'll just say you are clearly smarter and more well informed than the rest of us, you say so yourself.

Apologies, I thought the emoji would be enough to show I was being a bit cheeky...

carry on...

If Rich did the attacking thigs he does and was great defensively as well he'd be one of the greatest of all time . You can't expect someone of his athletic abilities which are only average to get up the ground a bit so we can get the ball in his hands and then be able to double back defensively super quick. He's also not got a great leap so he's susceptible to someone getting over the top of him or someone bigger or quicker controlling the contest in front of him.

He's made the absolute most of his strength and power and his elite kicking skills plus his judgement as when to go and when not to to become one of the best half backs in the game. And just about the most damaging when he's on song. So for that we should be grateful.
Agree with what you say above but it's a little sad NOT to see him play fully fit. It's obvious to most that he's carrying more weight than he should & that is his only negative. His attacking game is deadly & creates many scoring opportunities during a game for us. I have loved watching Bam Bam his whole career and was shattered when he hurt his knee just when he was about to go to another level of brilliance. I often wonder how even better his last few years would be if he shed 3-4 kg's off his gut & butt. That said, he's one of the first picked in my best 22 every week.

Back