Preview Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 3rd April, 4:35PM AEDT *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 51 85.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Long and Hunter don’t deserve to be dropped. Dropping highmore for Carlisle or Hunter for Carlisle makes sense. Dropping both and bringing in wood makes no sense.
Dropping long makes absolutely no sense.

unnecessary overreaction to last weeks performance. Clearly the team selectors all read this sh*t.
Hunter is lucky that Abbott retired and Bell got the flick... poor bloke isn’t up to this grade.

We are in strife if he plays another AFL game.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hate Collingwood and bulldogs supporters the most but as I’ve mentioned numerous times it’s three ******* st kilda supporters that are the reason I refuse to go to marvel stadium again.

I've noticed there are a subset of fans who will not tolerate any "criticism of the boys" (at least from certain people - standards also seem flexible) no matter how accurate said criticism is, or if it is being discussed with a visitor or partner to help educate them about the game.

Not talking about abusing the players ... but discussing our failings with the person next to me during the diabolical performance against Brisbane in 2019 (my personal pick for worst game of the season - more traffic cones than a VicRoads maintenance depot). Was confronted, and told in no uncertain terms that I was not to criticise our players at all.

Suffice to say I watched the rest of that game from the concourse rather than return to my seat ...

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hunter is lucky that Abbott retired and Bell got the flick... poor bloke isn’t up to this grade.

We are in strife if he plays another AFL game.

and Mckernan is? Been delisted twice by Essendon who desperately need good talls. What does this tell you?

Long and Hunter don’t deserve to be dropped. Dropping highmore for Carlisle or Hunter for Carlisle makes sense. Dropping both and bringing in wood makes no sense.
Dropping long makes absolutely no sense.

unnecessary overreaction to last weeks performance. Clearly the team selectors all read this sh*t.

I don't mind it, I would have dropped half the side though so I'm not a great judge.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just having a look at long’s stats from last week and a couple of things stuck out to me:

4 one percenters. I still don’t know what that is but I know it’s to do with things that don’t constitute a possession like spoils, chases etc.

4 pressure acts which is ridiculously low. Bad hill had 25 I think which shows effort and intensity to put pressure on the player. If long didn’t put enough pressure that makes sense.

Four disposals in the first half is poor especially considering how poor we were early. He stepped up in the second half but only had seven effective disposals.

so when the game was alive he was disappointing and he put on little pressure and effort was low.

the Week before I thought he was solid though. At least we’ve dropped him for a like for like replacement.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've noticed there are a subset of fans who will not tolerate any "criticism of the boys" (at least from certain people - standards also seem flexible) no matter how accurate said criticism is, or if it is being discussed with a visitor or partner to help educate them about the game.

Not talking about abusing the players ... but discussing our failings with the person next to me during the diabolical performance against Brisbane in 2019 (my personal pick for worst game of the season - more traffic cones than a VicRoads maintenance depot). Was confronted, and told in no uncertain terms that I was not to criticise our players at all.

Suffice to say I watched the rest of that game from the concourse rather than return to my seat ...

Ever been to saintsational? Holy crap! Like a militant arm of the saints fan base and behave exactly as you described. Few on here too, but overall pretty good.

Place is bi polar, last week going ape over the performance, this week melt over selection.

Stronger team. Jones will bounce back, Crouch will make us stronger. Carlisle gives flexibility.

Jones deserves a chance at redemption along with his mate Hill but they are running out of chances if they don't perform.

Just having a look at long’s stats from last week and a couple of things stuck out to me:

4 one percenters. I still don’t know what that is but I know it’s to do with things that don’t constitute a possession like spoils, chases etc.

4 pressure acts which is ridiculously low. Bad hill had 25 I think which shows effort and intensity to put pressure on the player. If long didn’t put enough pressure that makes sense.

Four disposals in the first half is poor especially considering how poor we were early. He stepped up in the second half but only had seven effective disposals.

so when the game was alive he was disappointing and he put on little pressure and effort was low.

the Week before I thought he was solid though. At least we’ve dropped him for a like for like replacement.

He did look very casual last week.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Also, was it his job to be on Pickett? If it was, that could contribute to it as well.

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like the potential for Carlisle in the ruck. If he can nullify their ruck, on ground balls and general play he will shine.

Carlisle drifting one kick behind the play at all times is very reassuring and could be a game changer.

If he grabs this opportunity, he could be more than serviceable.

Highmore needed a rest.
Long is reckless and needs a lesson.
Hunter needs a rest too, tough induction.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda

Stories like this make me sick.

and yes that game was abysmal. It’s actually the reason for my hiatus from this site.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Place is bi polar, last week going ape over the performance, this week melt over selection.

Stronger team. Jones will bounce back, Crouch will make us stronger. Carlisle gives flexibility.
I doubt it. Most of the melting was about hill jones long and Hunter. As two of those have been dropped (and the other two were no chance to be dropped) surely that makes everyone happier!!

Also, was it his job to be on Pickett? If it was, that could contribute to it as well.

Honestly I'm not sure anyone played on an opponent, they had more space than a car park at 4 in the morning. They had better win tomorrow, I'm way more nervous than I should be. Things just don't seem to be aligning this season.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
With Webster out injured, it’s a big statement dropping long.

I dare say we're going to see a pause to the clark playing as a mid experiment and he'll play HBF all game in long's spot.

A situation I'm not adverse to; despite me wanting to see clark be our pendlebury asap.

Clark's time will come, but for this year I'm happy to see him play half back all year given long hasn't come on and sinclair is still very much hot and cold.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ever been to saintsational? Holy crap! Like a militant arm of the saints fan base and behave exactly as you described. Few on here too, but overall pretty good.

I think I logged in there once ... but didn't stick around. I like the discourse here - at least when people disagree they tend to engage in discussion.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t mind the changes. Hunter clearly not up to it. I don’t think we will see him in the seniors ever again. I am a Long fan but he’s always teetering on best 22. Bytel a bit unlucky but he will prob be sub again. Webster out injured.

For mine the players that really need to redeem themselves are Jones, Hill, Lonie & Butler. I think the balance is off with too many small forwards. Butler has credits but they will only last so long. Lonie may have snagged a few goals but he is the most under pressure.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly I'm not sure anyone played on an opponent, they had more space than a car park at 4 in the morning. They had better win tomorrow, I'm way more nervous than I should be. Things just don't seem to be aligning this season.
We are a much better side than last week suggested.

We've added some experience back in which should help us keep our structure which was completely missing last week.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Stories like this make me sick.

and yes that game was abysmal. It’s actually the reason for my hiatus from this site.

I should make it clear that I removed myself so there wasn't a continuation throughout the remainder of the game - very much my choice. I've also been back to the footy on every possible occasion since, without an issue - primarily because we've not been that dreadful at the games I have attended - it takes a lot to rile me up about a performance.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is 150 games of evidence to show that's not him as a player.

This is starting to wear pretty thin.

We keep hearing how the 'real brad hill' is a gun, yet he's never yet looked like one in a saints jumper aside from pre-season games.

Even his best games for us have just been 'good' for a bloke on 800k a year and cost a top 10 draft pick.
And his multitude of bad games have been dmac level bambi on ice-skates bad.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
We are a much better side than last week suggested.

We've added some experience back in which should help us keep our structure which was completely missing last week.
Reckon the 2 experienced KPD's helps out Coff with his intercepting too. Means he doesnt need to be as tight and gets left to drift off his player.
Having Highmore in seemed to put him out of that role as they played too similar. Thought Highmore looked ok but not convinced it was our ideal structure.
Betting we see the resurgence of 2020 Coffield this week assuming Carlisle spends most of his game in defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back