Preview Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 3rd April, 4:35PM AEDT *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 51 85.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whats extraordinary about someone who finished to 6 in our bnf getting a chance to redeem themselves after 1 bad game?

And Bytel getting a full game in the twos.
( hopefully not injury sub, I reckon that might be Long.)

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Long and Hunter don’t deserve to be dropped. Dropping highmore for Carlisle or Hunter for Carlisle makes sense. Dropping both and bringing in wood makes no sense.
Dropping long makes absolutely no sense.

unnecessary overreaction to last weeks performance. Clearly the team selectors all read this s**t.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
We are in Caulfield North too so just drive down kings way turn left at Flinders and on the corner the last lane to the left before Spencer there is Care parking that has a flat $10 rate. About 5 minute walk to the stadium and cheaper than the train. Always has parks available and only about a 15 minute drive. I think this is it.

Decided to take my daughter to the aquarium before the game so that should work well. Thanks!

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I've never been as confused about selections as this.
Zac Jones plays and Bytel doesn't is extraordinary.
Highmore after 2 very good games dropped.
Long who has had a few undisciplined moments but has been very good dropped.

Incredible stuff IMO
Highmore two very good games? Didn't see it that way myself, looked pretty far off it to be honest.

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not bagging Hunter as he has had no AFL pre season but he should have been dropped. Long and Highmore far from our worst last week.
I was happy with Hunter being dropped for Carlisle but dropping him and highmore is overkill. Says to me smack is going to be main ruck all day.

and yes long did not deserve to be dropped. Would have rather seen Lonie or Higgins out and I didn’t want either of them dropped either.

Had the pleasure of a night in a bay of Collingwood fans at Marvel last night.

They seem to have maintained their classy standards through the pandemic.

Bloke two rows down punched a solid metal fence bar when Brisbane got a free. Had to have broken his hand.

Bloke behind me is worse..."Fn dog maggot prick mongrel arsehole"...and that was one of his nicer comments about the umpires.

Kids everywhere.

I'd be a bit selective about what games I took young kids to.

At our game against Melbourne a Saints fan who was probably about 60 was calling one of the umpires a * and a NTTAWWTter and swearing really loudly near kids. He'd stop for a while and start back up. Some fans of all clubs are an embarrassment.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tippa will have a field day against us. Three or four goals I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
I am surprised we changed so many. Maybe on the track some weren't looking great. Or physically they are struggling. Highmore a bit stiff. (Sad for my SC team). But if Carlisle is ready he is clearly a better player.

I am a McKenzie fan to an extent. Think he's been harshly dealt with by our fans. Got a couple of very difficult 'last man standing' jobs against dangerous small forwards a couple of years ago. That set people against him. But it was down to him being in the wrong position due to our lack of depth at the time. Hope he has a great game.

Interested how Wood goes. Multiple threats forward now. Crouch should hopefully win us some ball in tight. Anyway, looking forward to it. Would love King to replicate Josh Bruce's effort today.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
At our game against Melbourne a Saints fan who was probably about 60 was calling one of the umpires a ****** and a NTTAWWTter and swearing really loudly near kids. He'd stop for a while and start back up. Some fans of all clubs are an embarrassment.
I hate Collingwood and bulldogs supporters the most but as I’ve mentioned numerous times it’s three ******* st kilda supporters that are the reason I refuse to go to marvel stadium again.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Good to see the selectors making changes, if we want to play finals we have to swap & change players to not only get games into them, but to keep them keen & interested.
I like Long, but he had an undisciplined moment in the last quarter last week, so dropped. Hopefully not only him, but others learn from this.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Long and Hunter don’t deserve to be dropped. Dropping highmore for Carlisle or Hunter for Carlisle makes sense. Dropping both and bringing in wood makes no sense.

unnecessary overreaction to last weeks performance. Clearly the team selectors all read this sh*t.

I strongly disagree with the outs but we must back Ratten in, he deserves our respect at this point in time.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like some of what Long brings to the table but he is a limited player who hasn’t taken his game to any levels of note at either end of the ground. I was shot down after the GWS game for saying he should maybe be in the gun for his spot but clearly he has some work to do. Happy that Ratts is driving high standards.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
D Train will hold him to 3 possessions, none of them goals.
Forgot about d train. His time to shine.

I feel better now :p

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls

unnecessary overreaction to last weeks performance. Clearly the team selectors all read this sh*t.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him dropped for discipline. Just some stupid stuff in the heat.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bytel I can take or leave because he’s not technically an out as he was injury sub and only played because we had an injury (as the sub generally does) and I’m happy to see him in the vfl to get some much needed practice in the twos.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him dropped for discipline. Just some stupid stuff in the heat.
Did he give away a couple of frees? That might be a good point.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Overall, good changes.

Would rather Carlisle just plays back rather than this forward/ruck experiment but really just glad to have him back in the side.

A full VFL game will be good for Bytel.

Glad to see D Mac get another go. He was good against GWS and is likely more suited to being a lock down defender than Long is. He was pretty good at it in the back half of 2018, so hopefully he can recapture that form under Ratts. Guessing we will see Clark spend more time back as well

Highmore stiff but structure wise, its better we have 2 genuine key backs rather than Wilkie playing undersized. Seems like Battle might end up being that extra key back, which is surprising given him saying prior to rd1 he was going to settle up forward this year, but structurally is makes more sense.

Also looking forward to Mason Wood getting a run. Looked good in the preseason and could be that marking forward we were missed. Is also more suited to running up onto the wing that Battle, so he might fulfil Ratts desire to play a key forward up there and help keep Battle in a position he is more suited too.

FB: Wilkie Howard Coffield
HB: DMac Carlisle* Clark
C: Hill Steele Billings
HF: Higgins King Membrey
FF: Butler Battle* Lonie
R: McKernan, Crouch, Gresham
I/C: Ross, Wood, Sinclair, Jones
SUB: either Long or Kent

*Sounds like Carlisle and Battle will be swapped but I think they should play in their normal position.

That's a strong, balanced team. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back