Preview Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 3rd April, 4:35PM AEDT *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 51 85.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy enough with the changes. Certainly very interesting and unpredictable, so will be good to see where everyone lines up.

Looks like we realised some things weren’t working (like Battle on the wing) and that we need to mix things up a bit, so looking forward to seeing how well it all works.

Some other guys are probably on notice.

Hopefully a good win coming up and a confidence and percentage boost.

Essendon’s team on paper looks one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. Reckon if they’d played the Dogs today they too would have lost by 100+.

Last edited:
Reckon the 2 experienced KPD's helps out Coff with his intercepting too. Means he doesnt need to be as tight and gets left to drift off his player.
Having Highmore in seemed to put him out of that role as they played too similar. Thought Highmore looked ok but not convinced it was our ideal structure.
Betting we see the resurgence of 2020 Coffield this week assuming Carlisle spends most of his game in defence.
It should help Wilkie be at his best as well. He has been fine the past two games but not at his usual level.

We are a much better side than last week suggested.

We've added some experience back in which should help us keep our structure which was completely missing last week.

Have we added structure though? We seem to have added some experience I guess.

Long does something undisciplined nearly every game. I wouldn't mind if there was a reason for it...but there generally isn't. He needs to get a handle on, and better utilise, his aggression. So I agree with him being dropped. Highmore hasn't done much to be dropped, but he hasn't done much to be gifted games either. He looks good, but a couple of games in the reserves won't hurt. I would've given another match to Bytel, but can understand why he wasn't selected...another kid that will benefit with a spell in the reserves. Marshall is meant to get game time with Sandy apparently, having Hunter play alongside him can only be good. In a few weeks he'll probably play a reserves match with Paddy. Good learning curve for the big fellah.

Reckon the 2 experienced KPD's helps out Coff with his intercepting too. Means he doesnt need to be as tight and gets left to drift off his player.
Having Highmore in seemed to put him out of that role as they played too similar. Thought Highmore looked ok but not convinced it was our ideal structure.
Betting we see the resurgence of 2020 Coffield this week assuming Carlisle spends most of his game in defence.

The defence is under a lot of pressure with the ball coming in quicker. D Mac looked at home in the chaos against GWS, he might actually be the best addition to the backline, he won't dodge a contest and he plays frenetic as his normal state. Carlisle as the bigger patrolling backline general like May was last week. Crouch pushes Ross probably back out so has to play as well as Ross plus some to be a net gain.

Long does something undisciplined nearly every game. I wouldn't mind if there was a reason for it...but there generally isn't. He needs to get a handle on, and better utilise, his aggression. So I agree with him being dropped. Highmore hasn't done much to be dropped, but he hasn't done much to be gifted games either. He looks good, but a couple of games in the reserves won't hurt. I would've given another match to Bytel, but can understand why he wasn't selected...another kid that will benefit with a spell in the reserves. Marshall is meant to get game time with Sandy apparently, having Hunter play alongside him can only be good. In a few weeks he'll probably play a reserves match with Paddy. Good learning curve for the big fellah.

I didn't mind his aggression it was a couple of really dumb kicks that turned over that gave me the shits and he looked like he was watching the game rather than going to the action. Agree on Highmore, he was pretty solid without being incredible.

Can’t wait for the game tomorrow. Last week was horrendous but it was so good just to be back at a Saints game.

I’m feeling pretty calm and expecting us to win and win well.

There is a nagging feeling I have that this year might be 1 step back before another 2 forward. Nothing but a convincing win will do otherwise I reckon we will be up against it to really be considered a chance of making finals and going deep.

Excited to see Crouch debut. We have a pretty solid midfield barring a recognised ruck - lucky they don’t have one either and hopefully both Marshall and Ryder are back next week.

Not sure why Dmac is in.

There’s a kind of weird reverse reaction now on this board with Dmac where people stick up for him.

Reality is his disposal is poor, his decision-making worse and he doesn’t accumulate possessions.

If you think he can lock down on a small forward, watch his games when he was playing more regularly for us against the Crows and the Lions a couple of years back and you’ll be reminded he can’t play that role either.

He was ok against GWS a couple of weeks back but the ball was a bar of soap and the ground was heavy; it brings others back to his level and he can just crash bodies (the kid has courage, I’ll give him that).

Our team was dreadful in disposing of the footy and making decisions last week and Dmac isn’t the answer to improve in that area.

Not sure why Dmac is in.

There’s a kind of weird reverse reaction now on this board with Dmac where people stick up for him.

Reality is his disposal is poor, his decision-making worse and he doesn’t accumulate possessions.

If you think he can lock down on a small forward, watch his games when he was playing more regularly for us against the Crows and the Lions a couple of years back and you’ll be reminded he can’t play that role either.

He was ok against GWS a couple of weeks back but the ball was a bar of soap and the ground was heavy; it brings others back to his level and he can just crash bodies (the kid has courage, I’ll give him that).

Our team was dreadful in disposing of the footy and making decisions last week and Dmac isn’t the answer to improve in that area.
He’s in because Geary, Paton, Webster aren’t available and Pickett tore us apart last week... obviously he has limitations but I reckon some of his efforts in contests against GWS were vital in getting us over the line.

He cops more flak on here than is warranted, he’s not a first choice player but is an elite athlete and his effort and commitment can’t be faulted. Provided he plays within his limitations he’ll be a good choice this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why Dmac is in.

Probably one of the last fit shut down smalls we have

He’s in because Geary, Paton, Webster aren’t available and Pickett tore us apart last week... obviously he has limitations but I reckon some of his efforts in contests against GWS were vital in getting us over the line.

He cops more flak on here than is warranted, he’s not a first choice player but is an elite athlete and his effort and commitment can’t be faulted. Provided he plays within his limitations he’ll be a good choice this week.
Problem is he’s been ripped apart by Charlie Cameron and Betts in the past and shown he can’t play the shutdown role. You’re better off trying anyone there.

Add to that his kicking (his % is decent because he literally kicks sideways 15 meters now when he does it to not * up... which is the last thing we need) and he shouldn’t be near the team.

The worry is he’ll likely play in a winning team and stay in against the Eagles: that’s when he’ll be exposed and do us more serious damage.

Have we added structure though? We seem to have added some experience I guess.
I think Carlisle (or at least a 2nd true sized KPP) provides us with a better structure down back and allows the likes of Wilkie/Coffield to play their natural positions. And he also adds some direction to a backline that looked lost last week too.

Problem is he’s been ripped apart by Charlie Cameron and Betts in the past and shown he can’t play the shutdown role. You’re better off trying anyone there.

Add to that his kicking (his % is decent because he literally kicks sideways 15 meters now when he does it to not fu** up... which is the last thing we need) and he shouldn’t be near the team.

The worry is he’ll likely play in a winning team and stay in against the Eagles: that’s when he’ll be exposed and do us more serious damage.
Whoever we play in that role against the Eagles is going to be embarrassed by Liam Ryan.

We've had a lot of players find a new lease on life since Ratts has taken over. Might as well give DMac a chance as well since everyone else who can play that role is either injured or already performed poorly.

Not sure why Dmac is in.

He's not Robinson Crusoe with his disposal. Perhaps he's improved with a more composed set up around him. He's worth a shot, none of our defenders are doing much to hold their spots right now.

Add to that his kicking (his % is decent because he literally kicks sideways 15 meters now when he does it to not fu** up... which is the last thing we need) and he shouldn’t be near the team.

So he’s been beaten by two of the best small forwards of the last decade while playing in a bottom 4 side, leaking inside 50’a like a sieve.
If we have any better options we’d be trying them, who else do we even have fit?
I don’t think we should blame him for chipping small kicks sideways if kicking is his biggest weakness, if he goes long and it gets turned over then people go ballistic.

Last edited:

To me we play him or a Seb Ross type on the small forwards. Charlie Cameron and Betts embarrassed better players than DMac too. He'd make a decent concussion sub too, he can play okay in a few roles.

So he’s been beaten by two of the best small forwards of the last decade while playing in a bottom 4 side, leaking inside 50’a like sieve.
If we have any better options we’d be trying them, who else do we even have fit?
I don’t think we should blame him for chipping small kicks sideways if kicking is his biggest weakness, if he goes long and it gets turned over then people go ballistic.

I think the short pass is a Ratts game plan. Savage couldn't hold a spot because he wanted to clear the ball out.

Even with a 100% fit list, we still seem short on attacking rebound defenders.

I know Carlton paid a premium for Williams and Saad, but we could really use a player like that.

Geary, Paton, Webster don't fill that need. Sinclair is clever but not sure if he is going to own that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back