Preview Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 3rd April, 4:35PM AEDT *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 51 85.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
The midfield battle:

McKernan/Snake- Wright/Hooker?
Steele- Langford
Crouch- Ham?
Gresham- Merrett
Jones- McGrath
Ross- Parish
Clark- ?
Sincs- ?
Hill- Cox
Billings- ?

The ruck battle/cripple fight looks about even overall and so does this group:

Gresham- Merrett
Jones- McGrath
Ross- Parish

But after that we look streets ahead, in both depth and quality:

Steele- Langford
Crouch- Ham?
Clark- ?
Sincs- ?
Hill- Cox
Billings- ?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Even with a 100% fit list, we still seem short on attacking rebound defenders.

I know Carlton paid a premium for Williams and Saad, but we could really use a player like that.

Geary, Paton, Webster don't fill that need. Sinclair is clever but not sure if he is going to own that role.
Sounds like we plan on rotating some mids through there instead of having dedicated running backs, apart from Coff.

We should see all of Clark, Jones, Sinclair, Ross in that role this season. Plus we tried Hill in it last week as well.

But I agree, I can see that being a position we look to fill this off season.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
So he’s been beaten by two of the best small forwards of the last decade while playing in a bottom 4 side, leaking inside 50’a like a sieve.
If we have any better options we’d be trying them, who else do we even have fit?
I don’t think we should blame him for chipping small kicks sideways if kicking is his biggest weakness, if he goes long and it gets turned over then people go ballistic.
Well, look ahead at our fixture: Liam Ryan looms next week. We likely win this week and we face the terrifying prospect of DMac on Ryan.

I’d try literally anyone ahead of Dmac, I’d keep Long in and force him to play tight. Dmac shouldn’t be on an AFL list with his skill-set.

If Dmac is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question in my opinion.

Tyrian Lonestar

All Australian
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I know Carlton paid a premium for Williams and Saad, but we could really use a player like that.

Geary, Paton, Webster don't fill that need. Sinclair is clever but not sure if he is going to own that role.
How can this be? We drafted about 50 HBF'rs a few years ago now.

We should have tried Hind there.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
He's not Robinson Crusoe with his disposal. Perhaps he's improved with a more composed set up around him. He's worth a shot, none of our defenders are doing much to hold their spots right now.
Nah, I reckon his disposal and decision-making is probably worst in the league outside of ruckmen.

Nah, I reckon his disposal and decision-making is probably worst in the league outside of ruckmen.

His composure has definitely been an issue in the past but under a different coach and a much less systemised structure. I would love for him to have a redemption story, it might be a hope and pray situation but he's eared the right at another game after his last outing. Like playing Hunter in the ruck, it's just a matter of playing the players you have. He might get a bit of a touch up if Tippa is playing. Stringer needs a big game from Wilkie too, I know I'm the forum pessimist but I'm not as comfortable pencilling this in as some. Our injuries have hurt a lot more than I imagined they would.

That’s what his mum said on here every week last year... where has she gone, bombers board?

He’s fast, but I don’t think he reads the game very well and makes poor decisions.

Was she really on here?

Well, look ahead at our fixture: Liam Ryan looms next week. We likely win this week and we face the terrifying prospect of DMac on Ryan.

I’d try literally anyone ahead of Dmac, I’d keep Long in and force him to play tight. Dmac shouldn’t be on an AFL list with his skill-set.

He wasn't in the side last year and Ryan pretty much beat us on his own. Who ever is in is going to get touched up if they aren't on their game.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sounds like we plan on rotating some mids through there instead of having dedicated running backs, apart from Coff.

We should see all of Clark, Jones, Sinclair, Ross in that role this season. Plus we tried Hill in it last week as well.

But I agree, I can see that being a position we look to fill this off season.
Coff definitely has scope to be an awesome rebounding defender and probably Sincs too. I think playing with 1kpd down had made it hard for Coff to get off the chain

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda

Highmore would match up well on Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back