Game Day Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
H6SFu5Z.png

Get the job done boys.

Go Saints. Probably a good idea for Long to go out- stupid free kicks he gives away in front of the umpires are not on. DMac I guess will be HBF or even on a wing. Bytel a bit stiff, but Crouch is one of our big signings and needs to be played. A good game for our forwards to pull their fingers out against ordinary oppositon.

Interesting mix of changes. My line up

B McKenzie Howard Wilkie
HB Coffield Battle Clark
C Hill Ross Billings
HF Membrey King Gresham
F Butler Carlisle Lonie
Foll McKernan Steele Crouch

Int Wood Sinclair Higgins Jones

McKernan over Hunter surprises me based on actual outputs for the year but McKernan is up against a team that delisted him twice, has a more hardened AFL body so that probably swung it his way.

Highmore out is reasonable. Came as an intercept marking player but yet to fully adjust to AFL and has only taken 5 marks in his two games. Allows us to play Battle as a CHB and use Carlisle as a deep forward/ruck option.

Crouch over Bytel is obvious.

Mason Wood gives a us bit more height and flexibility.

Long out - have no problems with this - he gets cut a lot of slack on here. At times very poor decision making and more importantly for this game - not the greatest defensively.

It was either him of DMac for Tippa and while may get of the chain and kick a few I'd hate to think what might have happened if Long was expected to pick him up.

Expect Kent to be the injury sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the corresponding thread on the Essendon board:

“St Kilda have kicked 24.12 so far this year... most accurate team in the comp, though not the most prolific scorers (closely followed by Sydney on 37.19). Meanwhile, we've had 32.15 kicked against us – which is the most goals against for any team, and has our opponents collectively as the most accurate in the league. 🤔

I guess that's what you get for having an entire backline with only one guy over 50 games experience? (No defender over 50 games at all this week!)

St Kilda are also 7th for clearances but 17th for hit outs, so I guess they're decent enough at reading the opponent's ruckman..”

So none of their named back 6 have played 50 games yet (average of 32 games each) and neither of the two on the bench who might play back there have either.

If we’re able to dominate the midfield battle our forwardline could have a bit of a field day.

Last edited:
Off the topic, but just been thinking how nice it would be for us to snare B.King & F.MCasey over the next two years. I reckon we then win premierships in 2023-4 &5. Go Saints!

And a ruckman. We look like we need 2 KPPs...which I don't know what we do with Battle then. Perhaps Marshall would have to play solo ruck to make room for King up forward.

What I would give to have Cain Ackland about now.

From the corresponding thread on the Essendon board:

“St Kilda have kicked 24.12 so far this year... most accurate team in the comp, though not the most prolific scorers (closely followed by Sydney on 37.19). Meanwhile, we've had 32.15 kicked against us – which is the most goals against for any team, and has our opponents collectively as the most accurate in the league. 🤔

I guess that's what you get for having an entire backline with only one guy over 50 games experience? (No defender over 50 games at all this week!)

St Kilda are also 7th for clearances but 17th for hit outs, so I guess they're decent enough at reading the opponent's ruckman..”

So none of their named back 6 have played 50 games yet (average of 32 games each) and neither of the two on the bench who might play back there have either.

If we’re able to dominate the midfield battle our forwardline could have a bit of a field day.

Stringer and Tippa are my only concern. Forwards in the Stringer mould seem to do well this season and our small back stocks are thin and could struggle to contain Tippa.

Interesting mix of changes. My line up

B McKenzie Howard Wilkie
HB Coffield Battle Clark
C Hill Ross Billings
HF Membrey King Gresham
F Butler Carlisle Lonie
Foll McKernan Steele Crouch

Int Wood Sinclair Higgins Jones

McKernan over Hunter surprises me based on actual outputs for the year but McKernan is up against a team that delisted him twice, has a more hardened AFL body so that probably swung it his way.

Highmore out is reasonable. Came as an intercept marking player but yet to fully adjust to AFL and has only taken 5 marks in his two games. Allows us to play Battle as a CHB and use Carlisle as a deep forward/ruck option.

Crouch over Bytel is obvious.

Mason Wood gives a us bit more height and flexibility.

Long out - have no problems with this - he gets cut a lot of slack on here. At times very poor decision making and more importantly for this game - not the greatest defensively.

It was either him of DMac for Tippa and while may get of the chain and kick a few I'd hate to think what might have happened if Long was expected to pick him up.

Expect Kent to be the injury sub.
I’d go with long. Probably needs a rest anyway. Kent probably needs game time. Also long is more versatile

Stringer and Tippa are my only concern. Forwards in the Stringer mould seem to do well this season and our small back stocks are thin and could struggle to contain Tippa.
If as we should dominate around the ball they should get slow ball movement most of time. I’m not being arrogant but if are a half decent side we really should smash them. No excuses at all not even the ruck. We are bad as them in that position. Neither club could say as good as them.

The midfield battle:

McKernan/Snake- Wright/Hooker?
Steele- Langford
Crouch- Ham?
Gresham- Merrett
Jones- McGrath
Ross- Parish
Clark- ?
Sincs- ?
Hill- Cox
Billings- ?

The ruck battle/cripple fight looks about even overall and so does this group: