Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
To be fair, we don’t have the personnel that can play this hand ball happy game and I can’t recall we ever adopted this game style in the last 20 years.. to do this, you need pure mids (e.g. good at contest, used to break tackles and handball accurately under pressure) or players with speed and composure... apart from Steele, Gresham and maybe Clarke, I struggle to find another player who’s suited to this style, most of our players avoid contact like a plague when they have the ball, often prefer to give the hospital hand pass or bomb it long..

So I don’t think we are suited to this run and gun handball happy game style.. our best bet is structure the team to set positions and unclog space e.g. forwards and Backs stay home (we tend to play a swarm game like the aus kick where a huge pack develops around the ball), get the inside mids (Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Dunstan) to actually hunt the ball, when they get it, instruct them to beat his man by take on the tackler/s them release the outside runners like Hill, Sinclair and Billings. Ask all forwards to lead (not just talks) to different spot.. This movement should create opportunities for a clean forward entry..
Yep, agree. Watching bits of staurday's game again the biggest thing I noticed is that when we get the any form of run from out of defense all our players are sprinting towards goal. I can barely recall anyone except maybe Billings actually hitting up at the ball carrier for that short 15-20m kick.

1. It is extremely hard even for an elite footballer to hit a target that's running away from the kicker
2. It's easy for oppo teams to defend if they park 1 or 2 behind the play to cut off any longer kicks 35+ meters.
3. It exposes us badly if we do turn it over, as all our players have to stop turn around and chase arse.

If you look at the teams having success early this year (Sydney, Adelaide, Essendon, West Coast) they constantly hit up at the ball carrier and honour those short hit up kicks. with the new man on the mark rule, they can easily wheel and go or give off to a runner if oppo defenses break down. Otherwise they can hold it up and wait for more targets to present themselve's up field. By all means if there's space out the back to run onto then go for the long bomb forward but it's risky if it's not a deep entry into forward 50m

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Hill is our "quarterback" so i dont want him taking short chip options. Literally anyone can do those.

He needs to be biting off the difficult 45 degree, inside 50s etc etc. Id rather his efficiency is lower because he is trying to create.

Its personal opinion but i think Hill tried some stuff against Melb but could barely drop the ball to his foot, he tried nothing against Essendon and looks bereft of confidence.
100% agree and include Billings in the same vein, but you need players moving and leading forward of the ball for this. It feels like most of the time you look forward of the ball and we look very stagnant. MrFoster touched on this earlier and I mentioned it in the preview thread. We need players moving and leading even if they don't think they will get the ball - selfless running. This will create space. We seem to often look so congested forward of the ball and then most of the time have to bomb it long or try and hit risky kicks in congestion

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Butler decision 😂
How about Marshall and Ryder or Highmore
You might have told me something last night but once again you were wrong
Yes I was wrong but you said I get upset when people say I’m wrong. I couldn’t give a rats. That was my point of saying butler but clearly went over your head. And you say at least he talks footy but then you write a post that wasn’t footy and had nothing to do with you. The irony. It’s actually funny. And how was I wrong when I said ex players or current players at the time said the public wouldn’t understand. You do realise that wasn’t me saying it. Anyway as I said you rather find a reason to knock me even though I’m sure you agreed that it was lack of effort. Now for once try giving some opinions. It’s ok to give an opinion and be wrong rather than not giving anything. Have a nice day anyway. At least you are liking some of my posts so not all is lost.

Yes I was wrong but you said I get upset when people say I’m wrong. I couldn’t give a rats. That was my point of saying butler but clearly went over your head. And you say at least he talks footy but then you write a post that wasn’t footy and had nothing to do with you. The irony. It’s actually funny. And how was I wrong when I said ex players or current players at the time said the public wouldn’t understand. You do realise that wasn’t me saying it. Anyway as I said you rather find a reason to knock me even though I’m sure you agreed that it was lack of effort. Now for once try giving some opinions. It’s ok to give an opinion and be wrong rather than not giving anything. Have a nice day anyway. At least you are liking some of my posts so not all is lost.
Gee that took a long time for response LOL you do make me giggle

This is the 2nd time in the space of about 6 matches that Ross has had one of his poor efforts broadcast through the media. The other being his efforts on Josh Kelly in our embarrassing loss last year.

It's not a great sign for one of our leaders and being at the game he was definitely one that stood out to me to not be working defensively.

He didn't seem that bad on TV but plenty of others were standing around. It is a bad look though.

I think the criticism is that Brad gives you nothing when its not going well, added to the fact that his kicking game (which is essentially all he has) has been awful.

Not too many in here are saying he needs to win more contested ball BUT unless hes getting 15-20 kicks a game and slicing up oppo defenses then he needs to be doing more than he currently is defensively and otherwise.

He's even stopped running now just to really s**t it up.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He didn't seem that bad on TV but plenty of others were standing around. It is a bad look though.
Live at the game he looked to just be trailing behind Essendon players for most of the night.

He wasn't on him Pat Malone that's for sure but he wasn't pushing back hard when Essendon were streaming forward.

Essendon just ran up and down the ground so much harder than us, didn't matter if they were running forward or defence they just out worked us.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Live at the game he looked to just be trailing behind Essendon players for most of the night.

He wasn't on him Pat Malone that's for sure but he wasn't pushing back hard when Essendon were streaming forward.

Essendon just ran up and down the ground so much harder than us, didn't matter if they were running forward or defence they just out worked us.
That’s exactly what happened. We couldn’t run forward quicker than the opposition. I felt for the defence. No mid trying to help at all.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jesus, sounds like Ess are back on the juice

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
People ragging Ratten need to realize if the team doesn't bring effort it doesn't matter who is coach.
It does if the reason they’re not making the effort is that the game plan stinks under the new rules, and they know it’s futile to put in a huge effort, when playing a zone etc just makes you a moving witches hat, that the other team can bypass at will.

Giving up may be a message to Ratts that he needs to change things up ASAP.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It does if the reason they’re not making the effort is that the game plan stinks under the new rules and they know it’s futile to put in a huge effort when playing a zone etc just makes you a moving witches hat that the other team can bypass at will.
I agree with that , but if you can't get the football in the middle throw any game plan out - we only had one player with over 20 possessions , they had over 10 and even Hind had 25 and he never played a full game.
In saying this Ratten and co did make some stupid moves with players out of position

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It does if the reason they’re not making the effort is that the game plan stinks under the new rules, and they know it’s futile to put in a huge effort, when playing a zone etc just makes you a moving witches hat, that the other team can bypass at will.

Giving up may be a message to Ratts that he needs to change things up ASAP.
So let’s get this straight. We won both praccy games and our first match with the current game plan but out of the blue the players have decided we are giving up because the current game plan doesn’t work. Do you understand how silly that sounds. And how pathetic it makes the players sounds. I can’t have that. I won’t have that as a reason.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
So let’s get this straight. We won both praccy games and our first match with the current game plan but out of the blue the players have decided we are giving up because the current game plan doesn’t work. Do you understand how silly that sounds. And how pathetic it makes the players sounds. I can’t have that. I won’t have that as a reason.

this is a good point. It can’t be the game plan. Certain things about the game plan are working but it’s more about effort and efficiency inside fifty. We’re getting it in a lot but not doing anything worthwhile either because of what we’re doing when it gets there or how we’re getting it in there.

Did you watch the game and see how pathetic the players looked ?
Worst i have seen for many years

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Did you watch the game and see how pathetic the players looked ?
Worst i have seen for many years
I did. I was there. Their lack of effort was shocking. I’ve said that since Saturday. I’ve also said no one would know the game plan because of lack of effort and I stand by why would the players actually think the game plan isn’t working when the win both practice games and the first game. Had they lost 2 or 3 of them it could make sense but they didn’t. I still don’t think players as a group would give lack of effort because they didn’t like game plan even if we did lose 2 or 3 games.

this is a good point. It can’t be the game plan. Certain things about the game plan are working but it’s more about effort and efficiency inside fifty. We’re getting it in a lot but not doing anything worthwhile either because of what we’re doing when it gets there or how we’re getting it in there.
This is where stats don't tell real story imo
Our inside 50s were very poor and very shallow compared to the Bombers
Would like to have inside 30 stats I know it was big difference against the Dees

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
The arrogance that you think you can understand game plans but ex players and the media can’t astounds me To me you lose all credibility saying something as arrogant as that. I’m sure you will get a few who agree especially those who also think there knowledge is better than players who have been in the system. And then to say the majority have the brains of a tree stump is just more arrogance. It’s pathetic actually. I agree you do understand game plans if a game plan is writing in riddles.

anyway the whole topic is irrelevant if we are talking about the Essendon game. Any single person who went to the game could see it was lack of effort. If you could see a game plan in that game you are seriously making it up.
I always enjoy reading your footy stuff, and often agree with you, or if I don’t, it makes me think, but what you’re saying about ex-players and the media etc. flies in the face of what’s been happening with sport globally for a while.

More and more, sport is understanding you don’t need to have played at the highest level to understand tactics and be able to contribute towards a successful team. Just take Liverpool in the Premier League as one example: interestingly, the data analyst got his job without ever watching the action live or on video (long article, don’t expect you to read it all but it’s there if you want to (https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.amp.html)

Aussie Rules going forward is going to get more and more analysts into the system pushing ex-players out and that makes complete sense. Just like the fact only a fraction of great soldiers can be generals, the same goes for sport coaches and tacticians. It’s inevitable and the clubs that embrace it and have the coaches that understand how to leverage and interpret the data will have a big jump on the competition.

In Rath and O’Shaughnessy, hopefully we are well positioned but the way we are playing since the new rules kicked in has me worried.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I did. I was there. Their lack of effort was shocking. I’ve said that since Saturday. I’ve also said no one would know the game plan because of lack of effort and I stand by why would the players actually think the game plan isn’t working when the win both practice games and the first game. Had they lost 2 or 3 of them it could make sense but they didn’t. I still don’t think players as a group would give lack of effort because they didn’t like game plan even if we did lose 2 or 3 games.
It's a fair point you make, but do you have a theory why the effort was that bad by nearly all players? Even Steele was flat footed at times.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Would like to have inside 30 stats I know its was big difference against the Dees
I agree inside 50 is rubbish. A lot are even the opposition going into the 50. That game proves inside 50 is overrated.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I always enjoy reading your footy stuff, and often agree with you, or if I don’t, it makes me think, but what you’re saying about ex-players and the media etc. flies in the face of what’s been happening with sport globally for a while.

More and more, sport is understanding you don’t need to have played at the highest level to understand tactics and be able to contribute towards a successful team. Just take Liverpool in the Premier League as one example: interestingly, the data analyst got his job without ever watching the action live or on video (long article, don’t expect you to read it all but it’s there if you want to (https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.amp.html)

Aussie Rules going forward is going to get more and more analysts into the system pushing ex-players out and that makes complete sense. Just like the fact only a fraction of great soldiers can be generals, the same goes for sport coaches and tacticians. It’s inevitable and the clubs that embrace it and have the coaches that understand how to leverage and interpret the data will have a big jump on the competition.

In Rath and O’Shaughnessy, hopefully we are well positioned but the way we are playing since the new rules kicked in has me worried.
I’m not saying you have to be an ex afl player to understand the game or to coach the game. I’m saying ex afl footballers do understand the game That doesn’t make them good coaches or even mean they want to coach but when someone like roo blames lack of effort and not structures I’m listening to him more than anyone on here. We don’t even real names on here so how the hell do we know anyone’s qualifications. I do know Roos though.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would like to have inside 30 stats I know it was big difference against the Dees
I agree with you. That’s what I mean. We’re getting the ball in there but not in an effective way. It’s not good enough.
Last year we were getting it in deep and far (mmmmm) and really giving our forwards a better chance to kick goals.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It's a fair point you make, but do you have a theory why the effort was that bad by nearly all players? Even Steele was flat footed at times.
No idea. It makes zero sense whatever reason you come up with. I thought it was only lack of effort on Saturday but some have said it was also against the dees. That makes even less sense

Did Rath ever play AFL ?

Back