Preview Round 3, 2021 GWS Giants v Melbourne Demons - Manuka Oval, Sunday 4 April, 6.10 pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Melbourne has defeated Fremantle - to whom we lost woefully - quite handsomely, and soundly beat St Kilda, who squeaked past us at home.

We can change personnel, or we can stick fairly closely to the team we've put out (few options to change), but the bottom line is that there's not really much hope for a GWS win given the coaching tactics and the player attitudes we've seen the last two weeks.

There will be at least one enforced change, assuming Sam Reid is suspended. But there should be a few others as well.

giphy.gif

Taranto, Hopper and Kelly should be on the firing line if there's anyone to drop again - definitely not Tom Green

In - Green Finlayson Riccardi

Out - Sproule Reid Keefe
Not sure those changes are ideal for balance. Two defenders go out and none come in. Reid is actually a big out with Pickett in his current form.

I get the attraction of playing Tom Green but not sure where else he can play other than slow inside mid and there's a million of those in there already. That said I'd have him in instead of Coniglio or DeBoer but those two aren't getting dropped.

The other problem is the backline is miles too tall. Davis should likely make way as Keefe has been decent - but again that's not happening.

For me:

In: Buntine, Riccardi, Shipley
Out: Reid (Susp), Sproule (Omit), Kelly (Omit)

I think we need to swing some changes here as well

my thoughts are that the bottom third of the list are t performing at the standard. I would keep backing in the Kelly’s and cogs of the 22 and replace some of the bottom 6 to give them a different level of support

out: bruhn, Reid, sproul
In: green, Riccardi and one of the draftees to go down back. Maybe wehr or someone similar

no 2’s stats makes it hard

Well, interestingly after playing 3 tall forwards for years and many on here calling for a smaller forward line ... we've done that and not been any better these last two weeks.

I'd agree with others in that I'm not seeing any outstanding qualities in Zach Sproule, and if Riccardi is OK to play, then I'd like to see him included. He should largely play closer to goal, with Harry roving further - although they can certainly switch roles.

If Lachie Keeffe is retained as spare ruck, primarily playing back, then I'd keep the two-KPD forward line and surround them with speedy smalls.

We are still suffering from poor distribution from our D50, but until Lachie Whitfield returns (to help but not entirely solve) I don't really see a solution in the short term with any replacement players from the sideline. We need the players to just play better and also need more speed to provide options running out of defence. Therefore, I'd like to see Lachie Ash move back into defence - perhaps the couple of weeks on the wing has helped him get his hands on the ball a bit more (which seemed to be last year's deficiency).

I'd then like to see Xavier O'Halloran be given another chance - he has speed and endurance, which we need, although his ball distribution from memory does need to have improved. I'd also be happy to swap Buckley for Finlayson if the latter is OK to come back from whatever has been holding him back. That gets some speed and penetration onto our wings ... technically!

Then swap out Matt de Boer - I'm not seeing a tagging role for him against Melbourne and we need to just play Tom Green FFS. I'd be prepared to give Tanner Bruhn another chance - we need to be giving the kids a chance, and it's not like the losses are down to his failings!

While I agree some of the senior players (Cogs, Kelly, Hopper, Taranto ) need to take some responsibility ... I don't see that we'll drop them 3 rounds into 2021, and really, we just need them to find some form, which with no second tier games yet they're not going to be able to do away from first grade.

So ...

Harry Perryman, Phil Davis, Nick Haynes
Isaac Cumming, Sam Taylor, Lachie Ash
Jack Buckley/Jeremy Finlayson, Josh Kelly, Xavier O'Halloran
Tim Taranto, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene
Bobby Hill, Harry Himmelberg, Brent Daniels
Matt Flynn, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio
Tanner Bruhn, Callan Ward, Tom Green, Lachlan Keeffe (Sub - Nick Shipley)

Out: Sproule, Reid, de Boer, maybe Jack Buckley

In: Riccardi, O'Halloran, Green, maybe Jeremy Finlayson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, interestingly after playing 3 tall forwards for years and many on here calling for a smaller forward line ... we've done that and not been any better these last two weeks.

I'd agree with others in that I'm not seeing any outstanding qualities in Zach Sproule, and if Riccardi is OK to play, then I'd like to see him included. He should largely play closer to goal, with Harry roving further - although they can certainly switch roles.

If Lachie Keeffe is retained as spare ruck, primarily playing back, then I'd keep the two-KPD forward line and surround them with speedy smalls.

We are still suffering from poor distribution from our D50, but until Lachie Whitfield returns (to help but not entirely solve) I don't really see a solution in the short term with any replacement players from the sideline. We need the players to just play better and also need more speed to provide options running out of defence. Therefore, I'd like to see Lachie Ash move back into defence - perhaps the couple of weeks on the wing has helped him get his hands on the ball a bit more (which seemed to be last year's deficiency).

I'd then like to see Xavier O'Halloran be given another chance - he has speed and endurance, which we need, although his ball distribution from memory does need to have improved. I'd also be happy to swap Buckley for Finlayson if the latter is OK to come back from whatever has been holding him back. That gets some speed and penetration onto our wings ... technically!

Then swap out Matt de Boer - I'm not seeing a tagging role for him against Melbourne and we need to just play Tom Green FFS. I'd be prepared to give Tanner Bruhn another chance - we need to be giving the kids a chance, and it's not like the losses are down to his failings!

While I agree some of the senior players (Cogs, Kelly, Hopper, Taranto ) need to take some responsibility ... I don't see that we'll drop them 3 rounds into 2021, and really, we just need them to find some form, which with no second tier games yet they're not going to be able to do away from first grade.

So ...

I really like this

want a job at the giants?

I’ve suggested it before, but I really think now is the time Coniglio should be moved down back and tried against a small forward. Would be an opportunity to show some leadership, do what’s best for the team and beat his opponent. He’s not much use anywhere else at the moment anyway.
Would also love to see O’Halloran given a go, ideally for a few weeks.

So ...

Riccardi = heart

That’s all I want at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve suggested it before, but I really think now is the time Coniglio should be moved down back and tried against a small forward. Would be an opportunity to show some leadership, do what’s best for the team and beat his opponent. He’s not much use anywhere else at the moment anyway.
Would also love to see O’Halloran given a go, ideally for a few weeks.
Look for the wage he is on he can’t be a half back flanker

he is a midfielder and we need to help him be the player he should be (somehow)

Look for the wage he is on he can’t be a half back flanker

he is a midfielder and we need to help him be the player he should be (somehow)
I like the idea of making Cogs accountable ... but agree that I don't think HBF works for us.

My humble opinion, but if we replace MdB with a young inside mid such as Tom Green, then Cogs should pick up some run-with type roles to get him into games. If he can't get the ball, at least tackle the guy with the ball. That might inspire some team mates. For Melbourne, start with Clayton Oliver or Petracca; and if Petracca (for example) takes a spell forward, Cogs can go forward for us. His goal-scoring was down last year, and he needs to find that aspect of his game too!

Why have we become beyond woeful in the midfield, given the talent we have in there?

I really do think Leon used the covid break to completely change the way we play the game, or tried to.
Unfortunately his plan B became a new plan A and it was worse than our run and gun at all costs plan a we used to use.

I like the idea of making Cogs accountable ... but agree that I don't think HBF works for us.

My humble opinion, but if we replace MdB with a young inside mid such as Tom Green, then Cogs should pick up some run-with type roles to get him into games. If he can't get the ball, at least tackle the guy with the ball. That might inspire some team mates. For Melbourne, start with Clayton Oliver or Petracca; and if Petracca (for example) takes a spell forward, Cogs can go forward for us. His goal-scoring was down last year, and he needs to find that aspect of his game too!
I agree

I wouldn’t play MDB, I would have cogs as a def mid

not a tagged but that accountable role he is good at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back