Preview Round 3, 2021 GWS Giants v Melbourne Demons - Manuka Oval, Sunday 4 April, 6.10 pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think our forward line isn’t going too bad. It’s the rubbish that is being delivered (kick it to our advantage please!) to them which is the issue. With Greene, Daniels, Hill, HH and Riccardi to come back in it’s a nice mix.

I would like to see Briggs and Wehr come into the side this week.

Perryman Davis Haynes
Wehr Taylor Ash
Kelly Hopper Ward
Greene HH Daniels
Hill Riccardi MDB
Flynn Coniglio Tarranto

Briggs Buckley Bruhn Cumming

Flynn & Briggs to rotate forward. Flynn in particular is a very solid forward.

I really do think Leon used the covid break to completely change the way we play the game, or tried to.
Unfortunately his plan B became a new plan A and it was worse than our run and gun at all costs plan a we used to use.

I think something is wrong with the internal dynamic of the playing group.

I really do think Leon used the covid break to completely change the way we play the game, or tried to.
Unfortunately his plan B became a new plan A and it was worse than our run and gun at all costs plan a we used to use.
The crazy part is that gun and run would be having more success with the new rules and would be better to watch than this new "style". Only round 2. By round 6 we will know how much this year will hurt...

In regard to the midfield it was really obvious we are either being out coached on that line or players aren’t listening

we are constantly getting sucked in to contestants, often committing 2-3 players to the inside. If you compare that to Richmond, they back in the player to make the tackle and are always outside of their i
Direct opponents. If they lose the ball, they are ready to tackle and can limit quality ball forward but if they are winning those contests then they are getting faster spread and usage as a result.
It happened a lot on the weekend... we got murdered on the outside because the brayshaw and the Serong played back shoulder and when we lost that inside contest, we were chasing for the rest of the play

Our midfield balance is way out of whack. We should trade Hopper or Taranto at the end of the year. Get some speed in there.

As for this week... does it really matter what we do? Gawn and their kids will have a field day.

I think Bruhn needs some time in the twos. XOH can take his spot.
The only cover we have for Reid in the small defender role is Buntine (Wehr is not ready - 70kg). Kozzy Pickett will kick five.

This could get really ugly.... our mods aren’t good enough kicks to not turn it over to May and Lever.

What’s most surprising is how much the club has their head in the sand about it.
FWIW here is my lineup:
Haynes Davis Ash
Buntine Taylor Perryman
Kelly Cogs Taranto
Greene Riccardi XOH
Hill HH Daniels
Flynn Hopper Green

Keeffe DeBoer Ward Cumming

This list needs to shed Ward, DeBoer and one of Hopper and Taranto for three quick players. We also need to get a small running defender who is ready to go. Hard to believe we recruited Wehr... he’s not ready to go and hes already 22.

Our midfield balance is way out of whack. We should trade Hopper or Taranto at the end of the year. Get some speed in there.

As for this week... does it really matter what we do? Gawn and their kids will have a field day.

I think Bruhn needs some time in the twos. XOH can take his spot.
The only cover we have for Reid in the small defender role is Buntine (Wehr is not ready - 70kg). Kozzy Pickett will kick five.

This could get really ugly.... our mods aren’t good enough kicks to not turn it over to May and Lever.

What’s most surprising is how much the club has their head in the sand about it.
FWIW here is my lineup:
Haynes Davis Ash
Buntine Taylor Perryman
Kelly Cogs Taranto
Greene Riccardi XOH
Hill HH Daniels
Flynn Hopper Green

Keeffe DeBoer Ward Cumming

This list needs to shed Ward, DeBoer and one of Hopper and Taranto for three quick players. We also need to get a small running defender who is ready to go. Hard to believe we recruited Wehr... he’s not ready to go and hes already 22.
I share your frustrations, but Buntine? Slower than most and a poor kick. Is it really this dire?

Not holding out much hope for the win but an improved performance especially in contested footy
In my eyes The team has always been to easy too draw to the ball leaving it exposed to the players a handball out of the contest and the Dockers exposed this and the team was unable to correct
I think Buckley was hugely exposed last week and more impact is needed from Bruhn and I would like to see him given another game but I think it would depend on team balance and Sproule should come out if Riccardi is fit
Not sure why Ward hasnt been tried in defence as he has the experience and characteristics to be a good defender and it frees up a mid spot for Green
With no news on TOJ and not sure if anyone has seen him in any team footage he might have some personal, family issues going on so hope he is well and back soon if that is the case

Perryman Davis Haynes
Cumming Keefe Taylor
Kelly Coniglio Ward
Greene Riccardi MDB
Hill HH Daniels
Flynn Taranto Hopper
Ash Bruhn Green Idun/O'Halloran

Not sure who gets that last spot but Idun may come in as the 7th defender

It will be interesting to compare age and experience of the named teams as I think the Giants will be very inexperienced

Any news on whose playing in your practice game this weekend. Basically what I'm getting to.. is Connor Idun going to play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on whose playing in your practice game this weekend. Basically what I'm getting to.. is Connor Idun going to play?

It was mentioned in a article that the club didnt have a practice game this weekend and would have a intense training (Hogan specific but I am taking it to mean non squad members for the Demons game)

Look for the wage he is on he can’t be a half back flanker

he is a midfielder and we need to help him be the player he should be (somehow)

Coniglio needs to do something for the wage he's on.

We paid him a small fortune not to go to Hawthorn, made him captain, and what we got was 2020.

He needs to make an impact in proportion to his pay packet.

Just saw some insta video from the Giants featuring Buckley Sproule O’Halloran and Shipley so they might be in the team which is great for them but not much hope for the team unless the experienced miss play out of their skin

In: Matt Buntine, Connor Idun, Tom Green, Xavier O’Halloran
Out: Harry Perryman (illness), Sam Reid (suspension), Zach Sproule, Tanner Bruhn (omitted)

Emergencies: Zach Sproule, Kieren Briggs, Conor Stone, Nick Shipley

In: Matt Buntine, Connor Idun, Tom Green, Xavier O’Halloran
Out: Harry Perryman (illness), Sam Reid (suspension), Zach Sproule, Tanner Bruhn (omitted)

Emergencies: Zach Sproule, Kieren Briggs, Conor Stone, Nick Shipley

Say what?

No Riccardi or Finlayson on a bone dry home deck?

Is the R3 line-up any stronger than that from R2?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back