Preview Round 3, 2021 GWS Giants v Melbourne Demons - Manuka Oval, Sunday 4 April, 6.10 pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Matt Buntine, Connor Idun, Tom Green, Xavier O’Halloran
Out: Harry Perryman (illness), Sam Reid (suspension), Zach Sproule, Tanner Bruhn (omitted)

Emergencies: Zach Sproule, Kieren Briggs, Conor Stone, Nick Shipley
84637E45-D85B-486E-98C5-BA46809E52FB.jpeg

Could get messy
Not sure what the go is with Riccardi unless he has had a setback with a soft tissue injury
TOJ I feel must be on personal leave
Perryman out leaves a big hole in defence and looking at the Demons line up they are so much stronger and experienced

Going to be interesting.

And by interesting I mean horrifying.

I hope I’m wrong.

It all just points to the fact Cameron doesn’t seem to know what he is doing. Even playing Briggs/Flynn and resting one forward is far more logical that the current method. Give support in the ruck and let a ruckman bring the ball to ground up forward. Why draft a number of running backs and then when you need them just play talls cause they have experience

Sam Taylor 36, Lachlan Keeffe 73, Matt Buntine 59
Isaac Cumming 12, Nick Haynes 147, Lachie Ash 14
Josh Kelly 134, Stephen Coniglio 151, Jack Buckley 4
Tim Taranto 76, Toby Greene 160, Matt de Boer 202
Bobby Hill 15, Harry Himmelberg 83, Brent Daniels 50
Matt Flynn 2, Jacob Hopper 86, Callan Ward 226

Phil Davis 178, Tom Green 7, Connor Idun 4, Xavier O’Halloran 2

And just so you can see the spread of experience, Keefe and Buntine are veterans but the games played does not indicate that status

Avg games played 78

Melbourne 95

>200
2 Ward, De Boer
1 Jones
150-200
3 Davis, Greene De boer
4 May, Tomlinson Mcdonald Jetta
100-150
2 Haynes, Kelly
5 Viney, Gawn, Salem, Petracca, Oliver
50-100
6 Keefe, Buntine, Hopper, Taranto, Daniels, HH
6 Fritsch, Brayshaw, Hunt, Neal-Bullen, Langdon, Lever
20-50
1 Taylor
1 Spargo
<20
8 Cumming, Ash, Buckley, Hill, Flynn, Green, Idun, O'Halloran
5 Jackson, Rivers, Jordan, Pickett, Sparrow

Sam Taylor 36, Lachlan Keeffe 73, Matt Buntine 59
Isaac Cumming 12, Nick Haynes 147, Lachie Ash 14
Josh Kelly 134, Stephen Coniglio 151, Jack Buckley 4
Tim Taranto 76, Toby Greene 160, Matt de Boer 202
Bobby Hill 15, Harry Himmelberg 83, Brent Daniels 50
Matt Flynn 2, Jacob Hopper 86, Callan Ward 226

Phil Davis 178, Tom Green 7, Connor Idun 4, Xavier O’Halloran 2

And just so you can see the spread of experience, Keefe and Buntine are veterans but the games played does not indicate that status

Avg games played 78

Melbourne 95

>200
2 Ward, De Boer
1 Jones
150-200
3 Davis, Greene, Coniglio
4 May, Tomlinson Mcdonald Jetta
100-150
2 Haynes, Kelly
5 Viney, Gawn, Salem, Petracca, Oliver
50-100
6 Keefe, Buntine, Hopper, Taranto, Daniels, HH
6 Fritsch, Brayshaw, Hunt, Neal-Bullen, Langdon, Lever
20-50
1 Taylor
1 Spargo
<20
8 Cumming, Ash, Buckley, Hill, Flynn, Green, Idun, O'Halloran
5 Jackson, Rivers, Jordan, Pickett, Sparrow

Very simple, but effective analysis. Just looking at some of those numbers tells you we're re-building (and using some very old bricks down back).

This team doesn't know itself yet, that's why we're struggling.

Who else can defend an opposition small forward?
I don’t know who can do the job. Seems to have been little development in this area over the past couple of years. The club must have had some idea Shaw and Williams were going last year. With Whitfield and now Perryman out the pressure is on.
I hope Buntine can do the job. Would be great to see Cumming loosen up and play more on instinct. I’d try XOH in a stopping role. He’s quick and tough.

if the mids and forwards don’t lift their defensive effort it won’t matter who’s in defence. They’ll have no chance anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you guys reckon is the 'med sub' for this round? Just hoping it isn't Briggs for my fantasy side, haha

I like some of the ins here. I reckon x will be great for us. Like others I’d like to see another tall up front but I assume Keefe and HH are teaming up there

melb have a similar style of midfield to us... pretty slow and rely on contested ball to win games

I like some of the ins here. I reckon x will be great for us. Like others I’d like to see another tall up front but I assume Keefe and HH are teaming up there

melb have a similar style of midfield to us... pretty slow and rely on contested ball to win games

Just my two cents - given how awful Saints were today against a genuine Bottom 4 side in Essendon, I don't think Melbourne is as good as has been touted. Essendon smacked St Kilda today, and Melbourne barely beat them last week. Reckon you guys should win this one, given how much heat you've been under this week/how much Melbourne is probably drinking their own bath-water after their 2 wins.

Send De Boer to shut down Oliver as their extractor, place a decent stopper on Pickett - probably Buntine being brought in for that I'd say - and don't bomb it into the forward 50 but lower your eyes to prevent May and Lever intercept marking - those are the keys IMO

Just my two cents - given how awful Saints were today against a genuine Bottom 4 side in Essendon, I don't think Melbourne is as good as has been touted. Essendon smacked St Kilda today, and Melbourne barely beat them last week. Reckon you guys should win this one, given how much heat you've been under this week/how much Melbourne is probably drinking their own bath-water after their 2 wins.

Send De Boer to shut down Oliver as their extractor, place a decent stopper on Pickett - probably Buntine being brought in for that I'd say - and don't bomb it into the forward 50 but lower your eyes to prevent May and Lever intercept marking - those are the keys IMO
All good - we're just concerned that the group is so down on confidence and the coach seems to be out of ideas to be able to execute any of that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back