Review Round 3, 2021 GWS Giants v Melbourne Demons - Manuka Oval, Sunday 4 April, 6.10 pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Giants’ burning question: Can they kiss their finals hopes goodbye with a loss?

Of course, mathematically, they could still make the top eight. But history suggests otherwise. Of the 35 times in the past 10 years a team has begun a season 0-3, only one has flipped their fortunes and made the finals. And that was a genuine outlier in the Swans, who somehow recovered from 0-6 to win 14 of their next 16 games to finish sixth on the ladder. The Giants are in danger of going 0-3 for the first time since their second AFL season (2013) — and it’ll be a hard win-loss ratio to avoid, considering they face an undefeated Melbourne side that’s developing confidence in its ability.

Demons’ burning question: Can they deliver with a third win on the trot?

This has been the frustrating aspect for Dees supporters over the past two years. Their side undoubtedly has had the talent and capabilities to deliver consistent success, but simply hasn’t executed. However Melbourne has shown terrific grit in its opening two wins over Fremantle and St Kilda. This weekend, the Dees travel to Canberra to face a winless Giants side that’s severely under the pump. If they beat the Giants, it’ll be the first time the Demons have held a 3-0 record since 2005. Of course if that happened, Melbourne supporters would be keeping a firm lid on the inevitable hype.

Capture - GWS v MEL.PNG
Capture - GWS v MEL 2.PNG

I dislike being pessimistic, but I just don't have a lot of confidence given what we've seen in the first two rounds ... and the blowout scores we've seen this weekend make me concerned for this game. I'll be at the game with my family, so I'm hoping for the best. Good luck Giants - I think you'll need as much luck you can get.

Proven game style in the small sample provided this year is rapid movement ending in targeted passes to key forwards.
Our movement is slow
Our inside 50s are bombs
Our key forwards are 1

Feels like a heavy loss coming unless we change our gamestyle.
We have the players, do we have the leadership and strategy required?

Proven game style in the small sample provided this year is rapid movement ending in targeted passes to key forwards.
Our movement is slow
Our inside 50s are bombs
Our key forwards are 1

Feels like a heavy loss coming unless we change our gamestyle.
We have the players, do we have the leadership and strategy required?
To be fair if you rewatch that first half of the pre season game we were fast and efficient. It was exciting to watch and it beat a swans Outfit which is proving to be impressive this year

We have shown we DO have the Ability to do this... we just need to turn up on the day

To be fair if you rewatch that first half of the pre season game we were fast and efficient. It was exciting to watch and it beat a swans Outfit which is proving to be impressive this year

We have shown we DO have the Ability to do this... we just need to turn up on the day

Yes, and that's the big question, why haven't we been turning up on the day?

Last edited:
I have a good feeling about the game. Going to be tough for Flynn but hoping he can at least go with Gawn, or we can at least cherry-pick Gawn's taps. Great day for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a good feeling about the game. Going to be tough for Flynn but hoping he can at least go with Gawn, or we can at least cherry-pick Gawn's taps. Great day for it.

Im hoping they come out like the dogs final in 2019 and hit them hard and target Petracca (picture his head as Bontempelli)

I have a feeling GWS might win. It's that kind of round.
If Riccardi was included I would feel that way but 5 smalls and HH have me nervous but we need to win the contested ball in the middle before anything else

Im hoping they come out like the dogs final in 2019 and hit them hard and target Petracca (picture his head as Bontempelli)

They really need to otherwise it might be a long season :(

Yeah, looking good so far. Amazing what happens when you bring the intensity...

Brent Daniels is a game changer on ball. Dynamic.

And XO with a bullet pass to Himmelberg. Green amongst it too, good signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back