Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Hawks lose to Cats, Easter Monday

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Haven't actually watched the game on tv yet and yes some of the things you can't see on the tv but still What did ppl pick up from the broadcast that hasn't been mentioned?

Shiels' inside 50 in the last quarter? haven't seen much made of that but thought it was really poor

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Let the umps do their job, they make enough bad decisions without the unnecessary pressure by players trying to influence their decisions.
Maybe it's time for the AFL to stamp it out?
Reckon its time they stamped out the repeated howlers umpires make very game. They keep trying to 'improve' the game every year with rule changes they either pull out of their arse or ideas they just blatantly steal from football forums (10m now 15m extended goal square) but every year the quality of umpiring goes downhill. The rules and regulations in their entirety need to be reviewed, reduced and simplified. The umpire nearest the play makes the call, right or wrong, and thats it. No being overruled by some ego 50-100m away. Piss the video review off all together, goal umpires call and thats it. Finally I reckon the AFL could explore the notion of having a umpires academy exclusively for ex players. Players who finish their career because their bodies can no longer take the rigors of playing but can still run around ok and still want to be part of the game. I'm sure there are more than a few who would prefer to work for a living rather than join the insipid collage of media flab or bend over for an online betting company.

Sydney have great ball users. our 2013 to 2015 side would be devastating with this new rule

Sydney are dominant for scoring, score assists and marks I50. Of the 17 goals a game Sydney kick, 15 are assisted. Those are the three best publicly available indicators that you're working well together as a team, lo and behold PA, Doggies and Sydney make up the top 3 for those metrics.

On the other hand, we're poor and of the 10 goals we've kicked per game only 5 are assisted.

Doggies are looking the best pick this year because they're combining the offensive metrics with strong defensive results, intercepts and tackles I50.

Small sample size but these are areas we were very much dominant in.

Sydney are dominant for scoring, score assists and marks I50. Of the 17 goals a game Sydney kick, 15 are assisted. Those are the three best publicly available indicators that you're working well together as a team, lo and behold PA, Doggies and Sydney make up the top 3 for those metrics.

On the other hand, we're poor and of the 10 goals we've kicked per game only 5 are assisted.

Doggies are looking the best pick this year because they're combining the offensive metrics with strong defensive results, intercepts and tackles I50.

Small sample size but these are areas we were very much dominant in.
Great stuff mate

I praise the front of the guys but are people actually thinking Lewis played well? Big Boy did more in his small time dropping forward whilst being gassed from the ruck. I know he’s young but he’s sadly not come on and he’s two goals flattered him.

Highest rated player on the ground in the last quarter. He was poor for 3, but he showed enough in the last.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty entertaining game with the ups and downs of the game, you have to love the effort. Feels like we are doing double the work for 50% of the reward at the moment. If we can tidy up those errors we will look a million times better.

We had a really young forward line that was a bit off early but really worked back into the game well, thought that came from taking the game on more. Our defence is actually unreal - we should just play all out attack every game - its great to watch and we defend exceptionally well with the current mix.

Omeara was unreal his second half felt like a real future captains game. Felt like we gave him or he took more of a license in the second half.

We look bloody exciting - bring back Gunston for that young forward line and boy oh boy.

The bad - Howe well I don't know where he fits in high pressure games, to slow by foot (not in the contest he seems to gain a step). Ceglar isn't just the whipping boy he stinks, obrien is perfect for this role real bamboozling stuff at selection. Worpel & Mitchell - They are their own worst enemies, a number of times mitchell runs in to try get the ball from a hawks player on the bottom of pack just no awareness at all - Worpel isn't handling the new role and working in with every but he should be able to play his way out of it, more concerned with Mitchell his on field awareness, attitude, age and team dynamic.

Frost needs a note from hodgey on his palm - do the basics right and he is an absolute weapon

When we find the right team balance (I think that comes with speed and attack/less mistakes - bring in Downie on a wing - Obrien in second ruck and third tall role) we will look a lot better.

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Howe kick to Burgoyne was a good option. Open up fat side of the ground, frost was already pushing into space on the assumption silk takes the mark.

Howe needs to take some of the blame for not executing a kick as well as he could but mostly reckon Burgoyne should have come at the ball & also need to gcredit to the cats for cutting it off and making us pay. Great goal.

if it was anyone other than Howe taking that kick, we wouldn’t be so focused on the kicker. Just another chance to have a crack at the whipping boy.

there are other errors made by him and other players that were worse.

we need to keep going for those kicks, not revert to down the line rubbish and long bombs to established defensive structures.

same goes for a couple of frosty’s kicking errors, the intent was good just need to be better at the execution.

The Frosty error where he tried to grab a completely loose ball on the half-back line, at a very comfortable height, with one hand...and missed it completely. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can't remember if it ended in a goal for them or not.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tex is having a blinder of a year. I’d love our forwards to be leading like he does and trying to create space. I would hope the coaches want players to lead. But we’ve seen no movement from our forward half to provide options.
Gunston will do it , that will create space for the other forwards. Just having him there will make a big difference.
At the minute we have two very inexperienced key forwards who are finding their way in the game

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Coach's votes for this game interesting.

Both camps in lockstep except with who they thought was 2nd best on ground. And who they thought, the other camp didn't even have in their top 5. Weird one.

O'Meara for one and O'Connor for the other.

The Frosty error where he tried to grab a completely loose ball on the half-back line, at a very comfortable height, with one hand...and missed it completely. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can't remember if it ended in a goal for them or not.
He looked upfield at the last second and missed the ball. Kinda like celebrating before you cross the finish line. Bad mistake.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw Brownless last night at the Duke of Wellington and was going to give him an earful but thought better of it.

If you happen to see him out on the town again, ask him what hurt more, losing the 89 grand final or losing his wife to Gary Lyon. Seems both are likely to remain open wounds.

This year I wanted to see better than last year. I am happy with what I am seeing.
We have improved.
We were good enough to win but couldn't quite. There is no shame in that.

Geelong are not as good as they would have hoped.
That is a good thing.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I praise the front of the guys but are people actually thinking Lewis played well? Big Boy did more in his small time dropping forward whilst being gassed from the ruck. I know he’s young but he’s sadly not come on and he’s two goals flattered him.
He was quiet for the first three quarters.
Funnily enough when we started peppering the ball in quickly in the last he improved significantly.

badboybobba

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 1 lead i saw was from kosi and took the mark. Ended up hitting the post from a tight angle. We had so many plays where we were streaming forward with no pressure and nobody lead at the ball carrier or they just bombed it long. Cj after his 50, shiels had cj open but kicked across ground instead, O'meara and wingard from clearances. Morrison from the wing a few times.

I don't know if the kicks are poor decisions or there is not enough forward craft but Jordan Lewis in those situations would just kick to space and force the forward to run to it rather than bomb onto the pack.

CJ’s shot on goal was just a rush of blood, he will learn from that.

The worst of the lot yesterday was in the third quarter when Mitchell was totally free in the centre square with the ball and Lewis was one on one with his defender, all Lewis had to do was run towards our goal then double back and take the simplest of marks 40m out directly in front. Instead he kept sprinting towards goal expecting Mitchell to kick it 60m which he can’t.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
If you happen to see him out on the town again, ask him what hurt more, losing the 89 grand final or losing his wife to Gary Lyon. Seems both are likely to remain open wounds.
Nice. I kind of felt for him, losing his missus that way but the way him and his friends carried on with Jeff, I say he can get ******! Maybe explains the type of person he is and maybe that is why his 'friends' have had no respect for him.

Nice. I kind of felt for him, losing his missus that way but the way him and his friends carried on with Jeff, I say he can get ******! Maybe explains the type of person he is and maybe that is why his 'friends' have had no respect for him.
Any man who says "Your wife is like your wallet" deserves no respect whatsoever.

Him and his 'froffies' and his fat, dumb head, his all-paid-for beer gut (of which he is undoubtedly proud), and the moronic guff that he spouts....he can rot.

What did Brownless say?
Not sure if he's publicly said anything (maybe Twitter?) but the bit that's doing the rounds is a short clip of him and a couple other Geelong blokes taunting Jeff Kennett from behind some glass at the game. Just drunk and being about as gracious in victory as you'd expect Billy Brownless to be.

But TBH, if Jeff Kennett was their president I'd probably bait him in those circumstances as well. :tearsofjoy:

Though also he may wanted to have considered that they were 5 goals up at one stage and are meant to be backing up having made a GF while we are a young side widely expected to finish bottom 4... :think:

Back