Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Hawks lose to Cats, Easter Monday

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No Danger, Cameron and Menegola. They are a much better team with those three in it. They also copped two injuries during the game so they were one down.

They will be a top four side again this year. Let's just hope it ends there.
We are better with Gunston and Sicily in , I would argue those two out hurts us more than Geelongs outs given where the two sides are currently at .

It was a gutsy effort on Monday , not sure why its seems to be downgraded a bit by giving the opposition excuses .
Tipping they dont do that for us .

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
We are better with Gunston and Sicily in , I would argue those two out hurts us more than Geelongs outs given where the two sides are currently at .

It was a gutsy effort on Monday , not sure why its seems to be downgraded a bit by giving the opposition excuses .
Tipping they dont do that for us .

It was a gutsy effort, no doubt. We didn't play particularly well and got within a kick of the second best team in the league last year. That's very encouraging - especially with guys like CJ, Morrison and Lewis being impressive.

Pointing out who was out doesn't downgrade it. It is just a fact that those players were missing (on both sides) though.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
We'd be much better with Sicily, Gunston and Day in our team. We also copped some really questionable umpiring and score review decisions.

Both teams played with the players they had available, and they dealt with what uncontrollable forces dealt them.

End of the day we barely lost and perhaps with a bit more composure (that will come with experience) or even just another minute on the clock we might have won.

Pretty much most of our AA candidates each year

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
No Danger, Cameron and Menegola. They are a much better team with those three in it. They also copped two injuries during the game so they were one down.

They will be a top four side again this year. Let's just hope it ends there.

They could be although I don't think it's a certainty, Richmond, Port, West Coast, Dogs and Sydney all strong candidates to finish top 4 IMO.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm taking Sicily over Dangerfield. Sicily plays like McGovern and moves the ball like Hurn.

Cameron is no better than Gunston.

Menegola is good but I think Day will be if not already better.

Hawthorn are missing their two best ball users. Take those away from Geelong and they'd struggle even more.
Gunston kicked more goals than Cameron last year with much worse delivery and less I50s.

Burgoyne is showing his age. I thought North Melbourne were pathetic, carrying Harvey to breaking Tuck's record. I hope that the club can make the tough but fair call on Burgoyne, because I'm not convinced that he's best 22 at the moment.
In all seriousness, he's better than Nash, Hanrahan, Bramble, Cousins, Hartley, Brooksby, Maginness, Pepper, Morris, Reeves, Jeka, Downie, Saunders & Greaves.

Taking injuries into account, he's best 22. There's no one on our list who isn't playing in the seniors at the moment that has the versatility of Burgoyne.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but that is the situation this year.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It was a great fightback, there were 3 kicks in the last quarter where we tried kicking across the ground and it cost us momentum and at least a goal, 2 by Howe and 1 by a confused Frost when he couldve roosted it into our f50 and let our talls and smalls try their luck in the forward line.

We had our chances after the green G sign which is likely the go for it and attack sign halfway through the 3rd, we went from 3 goals to 9 in that period of time and nearly snatched the win, wish we had gone for it in the 2nd when the players had full tanks?.

Last edited:

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Also copped a monster corkie, and 2 mins later took the huge contested mark and slotted the goal.
He was pretty terrible until someone stepped on his ankle and he thought he had to go off and he got angry about it and just attacked every pack so he wouldn't go off... and he was good.

He's a strange one Mitchell Lewis if u can get him angry he can be good. If he's his normal happy go lucky self, he seems to lack the urgency to want to win the ball at all costs. He's happy just to have a easy fair contest, best man wins.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In all seriousness, he's better than Nash, Hanrahan, Bramble, Cousins, Hartley, Brooksby, Maginness, Pepper, Morris, Reeves, Jeka, Downie, Saunders & Greaves.

Taking injuries into account, he's best 22. There's no one on our list who isn't playing in the seniors at the moment that has the versatility of Burgoyne.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but that is the situation this year.
Five points down in the last quarter, thirty seconds on the clock, ball up in the centre square.
I'd want Silk over Dusty.

But time catches up with us all and its he's getting tired easily.
We need to use him very judiciously.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I said it to a mate at the time but the dumbest play for me was frost late in the 3rd coming in board with a dinky kick. We’d just kicked a goal and all you have to do is bomb it down the line. It gets turned over and they score. Just a lack of footy IQ.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I said it to a mate at the time but the dumbest play for me was frost late in the 3rd coming in board with a dinky kick. We’d just kicked a goal and all you have to do is bomb it down the line. It gets turned over and they score. Just a lack of footy IQ.
Its obviously not apart of the game plan

We gave him no chance to compete with our forward 50 entries, not sure what you expect him to do.

It’s hard for any of our forwards to have an impact when we rank near the bottom in scoring, inside 50s, marks inside 50 and time in forward half.

Five points down in the last quarter, thirty seconds on the clock, ball up in the centre square.
I'd want Silk over Dusty.

But time catches up with us all and its he's getting tired easily.
We need to use him very judiciously.
Exactly.

But that's a completely different argument to not being convinced that he's best 22.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Its early doors but even at full tilt it looks like several sides have at worst made decent ground on them .
Pressure will be right on especially if they drop another 1-2 coming up.

Agreed, lets face it Geelong could easily be 0-3, should be 1-2 at best if only the umpires adjudicated incorrect disposal properly!

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was at the game and he certainly had a great last quarter, but the first half in particular he struggled.
thats putting it mildly. He barely competed when te ball was kicked to him. A purple patch in the last shouldn't hide the fact he was meek for the majority of the game and barely competitive one on one. It was he and Kosi running their defenders to the same spot and then both pull out of any contest. Infuriating it was.

He needs to find some intensity and mongrel in his game if he wants to be a genuine KP forward

Back