Toast Round 3, 2021: Sandringham v Box Hill, May 2nd, Trevor Barker oval @ 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Second Quarter Thoughts

Box Hill defence and midfield poor that quarter. Lot of stumbling and fumbling. Not many positives overall. Getting killed by Lonie & Dunstan forward.

Brockman great defensive work this quarter from limited chances. Good to see someone visibly chasing. Did unfortunately botch a good chance for a score with a poor kick.

Reeves & Brooksby were OK. The Zebra’s midfield ascendancy came from them outworking the BH mids rather than the taps being bad.

Hartley having a shocker handling the ball.

BH entry into the 50 was horrible – went to a St. Kilda defender almost every time. Really missing Jeka as a focal point.

Didn't see that second Q. No idea what went on there. 58-2 second quarter. Looks like Lonie, Dunstan, Highmore and others have just dominated.

At QTR time I was going to joke, IN: Box Hill OUT: Hawthorn for the WCE game. It seems that actually happened in the 2nd qtr. Wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ball goes out of bounce and commentator talks about Ross taking a mark which didnt happen.
That was funny.

kept talking for 30 seconds about the mark...which was actually punched clear in the marking contest over the boundary line.

That commentator sounds like a cross between Dave Hughes, and the nughttime talk radio host from Parks and Rec

Third quarter thoughts:

A lift from the BH lads sees them more competitive out of the middle. Still fumbly but it was a good fightback that sees us within 3 points. Still if I had a dollar for every time we kicked it to the chest of a St. Kilda defender I’d be able to afford a very good meal.

Once again Brockman showed composure with delivery into 50 and great defensive pressure. Applies plenty of physical pressure but can be a bit timid when on the receiving end. Should be playing seniors.

The opposition ruckman got a lot more physical with Reeves this quarter. I personally thought a lot of it was illegal and involved grabbing him but the umpires thought otherwise. As a result, he would get pushed under a few contests. But I thought his taps were better directed overall.

Downie is visibly trying but just can’t seem to find the ball. Visibly busts his gut chasing but seems to just lack that top-end speed.

Jai Newcombe is a good prospect that could find a home in the midseason draft. Very tough.

Nash higher up the ground was decent. Interesting move given we seriously lack talls. Morris MIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back