Review Round 3, 2021 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hartlett will be, particularly when Jones is fully recovered.
There has to be a level of realistic expectations when Jones debuts cause he's exactly that, a debutant. We tend to get over excited about our youngsters.

Would he offer better then Hartlett has the past two weeks, highly likely yes at the moment. But the expectations have to be realistic, he's a kid.

Personally I'd like him to debut Friday night, but what you don't want to happen is Dusty drag him deep into defence which is something Richmond would look to do I feel.

There has to be a level of realistic expectations when Jones debuts cause he's exactly that, a debutant. We tend to get over excited about our youngsters.

Would he offer better then Hartlett has the past two weeks, highly likely yes at the moment. But the expectations have to be realistic, he's a kid.

Personally I'd like him to debut Friday night, but what you don't want to happen is Dusty drag him deep into defence which is something Richmond would look to do I feel.
Playing one short would offer more than Hartlett did yesterday, personally after last night I recon I’d pick Lachie to take Dusty over Hamish.

I recon Jones would relish the opportunity if he knew he had the backing of his team mates and the coaches.

Jones was very poor Thursday V Redlegs. He should not be in the frame to replace Hamish. He did warm into the game and play far better late, but his early form was poor.

Ok. I have watched a bit more than 6’. The score is 4.1 - 0.0.

The match was pretty even at the beginning. We had 2 (bad) I50. But after their 2nd goal, things derailed.

They couldn’t do anything wrong.

To make things worse, there was a ridiculous no-call for a HTB; then they scored their 4th.

Freak stuff! I wouldn’t say we weren’t in it at this moment, but we could have broken after it. It was too soon to throw the towel, though.

We didn’t capitulate. We restored composure and started to play in equal footing with them. Marshall scores a behind after a good play. A no-call against Fantasia (holding the man) leads to a point for them. Then, we battle our way down the field and a sequence of good moves set Georgiades for our first goal.

The score is 4.2 - 1.1, with 7’25” to go in Q1. Still, I’m feeling good. There’s plenty of time, and we have shown that we may make a game out of it.

What on hell happened after that?!

Last edited:
So Bergman was the sub last night, and now his tally will show he’s currently played 3 AFL games, when in reality, he’s only played 2 if we’re being honest.

This is going to fudge so many players career games tallies.

“Oh, he played 50 AFL games but 20 of them were as the medical sub”

We were a better team than the Cats last year and we beat them in a final to prove it. The only difference between us and them is due to a quirk of the draw we got Richmond before they did.

If we had been on their side of the draw then I think Brisbane would probably have won the flag, or at least gone very close.

We havent won a prelim since 2007 and matched up worse against the Lions than the Tigers last year.

The match was pretty even at the beginning. We had 2 (bad) I50. But after their 2nd goal, things derailed.

To make things worse, there was a ridiculous no-call for a HTB; then they scored their 4th.

Freak stuff! I wouldn’t say we weren’t in it at this moment, but we could have broken after it. It was too soon to throw the towel, though.

We didn’t capitulate. We restored composure and started to play in equal footing with them. Marshall scores a behind after a good play. A no-call against Fantasia (holding the man) leads to a point for them. Then, we battle our way down the field and a sequence of good moves set Georgiades for our first goal.

The score is 4.2 - 1.1, with 7’25” to go in Q1. Still, I’m feeling good. There’s plenty of time, and we have shown that we may make a game out of it.

Playing a very good side on their home deck, you give them the space we did and let their midfield run riot that's what happens, especially with the forward line and the quality of set shots they have as well. They get their tails up in Perth it's basically game over which is what happened.

The second half we showed a bit, but the game was gone but we did show a bit then, but it was to little to late by then.

The second half was a better representation of who we are, but with the new rules it's nigh on impossible to stop a run on.

Until the third quarter, I didn’t think NicNat had dominated Lycett, rather their midfielders worked much better than ours. Ladhams on the other hand got smashed by Allen in the first half. After H/T, NicNat dominated and put on a clinic.
Yeah Lycett was decent up to half time. He equalled Nick Nat around the ground and it was those centre bounces, 2 or 3 straight down the throat and 3 or 4 taps into space that their mids ran onto because ours were too lazy to stay with their man, that was the real difference between the two. After half time Nick Nat's dominance meant we had no chance to make a comeback.

Last edited:
Well we will see the mettle of the team and if the talk is backed by action.

The list is sound and capable. We don’t have a Fyfe, Dangerfield or Martin who can drag us back in those situations, but we lack for nothing else.

Last night our stoppage set ups were terrible. Both our rucks were spanked. Add to that, everyone was suddenly incapable of marking or kicking, whilst WC could do no wrong.

Despite this we did force them to kick long regularly, our half forward play was good, our goal kicking was sound. If we break even at stoppages and cut those brain farts out, the gameplan looks ok.

As for no plan B, do many sides have a plan B? Are many sides able to get belted at the centre, have their defence torn to shreds, turn it over but still able to enact a strategy that seems them level it out? I would say most hang in there then pull their finger out to get it more on their terms after quarter/half time.

Now there are no excuses. We should have rocked up prepared and ready to play. We shouldn’t have just expected to just win. I don’t know why this happens to Port regularly, but many sides do appear to have slip ups. Saint Kilda, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane - all this year have had bad, unexpected losses.

Now I’m a believer that Hinkley should have been moved on years ago. But we are stuck with him and I desperately want a flag. It’ll be hard. We aren’t clearly better than the other five in the hunt - Tigers, Cats, Lions, Bulldogs, Eagles. If we are off by even a small margin, that’s it, the game is gone, but the same can be said for those other sides. The list is excellent, it’s capable. I can tell you that the boys are hungry for success. Port can do it and should do it.

Yeah. That first 6 minutes was a cluster*. Their third goal was that hack that landed on a forward’s chest. The lack of a HTB call on the fourth goal was ridiculous too. Two WCE players dropped the ball to keep it going.

The problem is how we stem the tide when a couple of things go against us. The way we set up in the centre for the rest of the game was not it.

So Bergman was the sub last night, and now his tally will show he’s currently played 3 AFL games, when in reality, he’s only played 2 if we’re being honest.

It also makes it harder to look at winning percentages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The second half we showed a bit, but the game was gone but we did show a bit then, but it was to little to late by then.
The first half was a pretty good indicator, were still a side that can’t be trusted to turn up and play 4 quarters.

It happened for 2 of the 4 quarters against North, the last against Essendon (who had what 3 or 4 injured players)

And when you do that crap against a good side like west coast, they punish you. It was game over at 1/4 time and looked on track for 100 points early in the second.

3 weeks straight we haven’t been to the level we should be. We got away with it abasing this s**t sides and got found out against the first decent side we’ve played this year.

Stuff letting the group respond, time to make the changes.

In 2 or 3 years time it will scrapped or completely different to what it is now. The tinkerers at the AFL cant help themselves but change it.

The other sub rule only lasted 4 maybe 5 seasons.

Where in the rules does it say you can’t evade a tackle so it slips high?

I don’t like it either, but to call it cheating is just flat out incorrect.
The rule was specifically changed to say that ducking to deliberately draw head high contact then it wasn’t a free.

Shuey and Selwood were the reason why.

Where in the rules does it say you can’t evade a tackle so it slips high?

I don’t like it either, but to call it cheating is just flat out incorrect.
Your precious boy already admitted to ducking in the 2017 EF. He's a cheat who isn't respected by opposition players. It was good to see a couple of Port players call out his cheating antics to the umpires last night, albeit to no avail by the complicit maggots.

Your precious boy already admitted to ducking in the 2017 EF. He's a cheat who isn't respected by opposition players. It was good to see a couple of Port players call out his cheating antics to the umpires last night, albeit to no avail by the complicit maggots.
I know he ducked, I never said he didn’t.

I’m sure his ducking played a huge part in your loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back