Review Round 3, 2021 vs West Coast

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players like Selwood and Shuey seem to be playing with weighted coins though.
Robbie Gray always plays for freekicks right?, so umpires learnt pretty quick to give him nothing. Yet other players can flop and get frees on demand. Hell Selwood has his own thread in the Bay with the leagues most free for count but the umps still oblige.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I turned the rubbish off at quarter time
You could set your watch to this shite
Sack Hinkley
It was so predictable
Loud mouthing about this and that
Only a dumb mother plucker backs into a post time and time again and wonders where it came from each time

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
First quarter really had to be seen to be believed. I mean in what world do you guard the centre corridor when you absolutely know the Eagles are going to use the wings to move the ball forward, it's what they do at home...and yet there was our gallant midfield making damn sure they weren't going through the centre. Pretty sure they were asleep too. I only watched the first then skimmed through the rest of the game because it was just deja vu of the past 6 years.

Econopower

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The first five minutes of the game were a real gut punch. Though most of us didn’t find the first two wins entirely convincing, the no-show of our midfield leaders was hard to swallow.

There has been a lot of criticism of certain defenders and forwards but Wines had two possessions in the first quarter, Boak three and Butters (he gets more of a pass) just one. Between the three of them they won just two clearances in the quarter.

As I said in the game day thread, the ball wasn’t coming into the 50 often enough to hold the forwards responsible for the lack of scoring and the defenders were left exposed by the lack of midfield defensive pressure.

That said, I do think we got our selections wrong for the conditions and we may find our defence exposed more often this season under the new rules. That will make it even more important for us to win the midfield battle each week and for our forwards to be more efficient than they were last season.

As disappointing as it was though I’m trying not to over-interpret the results. All teams are adapting to the new rules and will have days where they don’t bring the required intensity.

The next few weeks will tell us whether the game was an aberration within the context of the season (and last season) or more consistent with the longer pattern on display over the Hinkley years.

Personally I would not have granted the extension, and instead made Hinkley demonstrate that the side had more persistently turned the corner. But we are stuck now and just have to hope that we get back on track this week.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ken Hinkley should write BIG HEADS on the whiteboard and leave it there all week for the players to see it and accept it. That was shambolic against West Coast. Workrate and accountability was absent in the midfield and with only 40 inside-50s, what hope did the tactic of playing four tall forwards have of succeeding? Playing Georgiades, Ladhams, Dixon and Marshall didn’t work. Combined, they took three F50 marks, all of them taken by Marshall. The Eagles had 57 entries and Kennedy, Darling and Allen combined for eight goals and 17 marks. Clearly, the problems were generated in the midfield, but am curious to see if Hinkley plays the four talls against Richmond on Friday night. If his midfield can respond, the tactic could stretch a Richmond defence missing Nick Vlastuin. If the midfield is meek as it was against the Eagles, no tactic will work.

powerpowerpower

Team Captain
May 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember that loss against Geelong last year by 60, on the eve of the finals. Look what happened the next time we played them. We adjusted and had the opportunity to test it again a few weeks later.

I take zero relevance from the SANFL side to AFL level. Just have to look at 2019 for this.

It's round 3. Bit early to start ending careers of players, or calling for a sacking of a coach.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
The new rules mean one-on-one accountability is a priority rather than teams flooding their defensive half with bodies all day. Hence we need players who are good, consistent contested marks.

Also, standing "goal side" of the oppo at centre bounces and clearances, and letting them run full pelt through the gaps to hit the ruck tap at speed, and streak unfettered into their attacking 50m is stupid play. We need to stand on the defensive side of all centre bounces and around the ground ball-ups and throw-ins, to provide a roadblock to that uncontested mush we served up on the weekend. Plus it allows our guys to get a run at a ruck tap, and get quick forward entry, so it is an attacking ploy as well.

In terms of defence - Clurey is a consistent liability as a deep defender. He plays from behind too often, and when he is in front position, just stands and "feels" for the body behind, whilst the oppo forward just tiptoes around him and gets in front anyway. Keep Jonas and McKenzie on the deep tall forwards. Plenty of smaller key defenders have been successful (Grimes, Hurley, Scarlett, Barass, Stewart, Rutten, Wakelin, Michael, et al) through being good readers of the play, users of deft bodywork, and were astute tacticians. Cluery and Alliir further up the ground as intercept marks and breakaway attack starters is the way to get the best out of those two, not as contested beasts against taller and stronger bodies.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I was disappointed but Wet Toast were patient and chipped the ball around. We have to figure out a plan B rather than sitting back and letting them tempt us out of our zone defense. As long as we learn from this loss and bounce back next week we will be ok. The review will let the players know where they went wrong and this is how good teams are built. No need to panic just yet...

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I felt sorry for our defence On Saturday night, hard work when it’s coming out the midfield like that. I’m happy to cut them some slack, when the midfield is smashed our undersized defenders are always in trouble.

however saying that I was a bit disappointed in allir, this was the exact game we bought him in for and for me he was too ready to intercept rather than defend first and then intercept.

there are times to play the intercept game but there are times when u need to be body to body.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Ken Hinkley should write BIG HEADS on the whiteboard and leave it there all week for the players to see it and accept it. That was shambolic against West Coast. Workrate and accountability was absent in the midfield and with only 40 inside-50s, what hope did the tactic of playing four tall forwards have of succeeding? Playing Georgiades, Ladhams, Dixon and Marshall didn’t work. Combined, they took three F50 marks, all of them taken by Marshall. The Eagles had 57 entries and Kennedy, Darling and Allen combined for eight goals and 17 marks. Clearly, the problems were generated in the midfield, but am curious to see if Hinkley plays the four talls against Richmond on Friday night. If his midfield can respond, the tactic could stretch a Richmond defence missing Nick Vlastuin. If the midfield is meek as it was against the Eagles, no tactic will work.

Thanks Robbo

I remember that loss against Geelong last year by 60, on the eve of the finals. Look what happened the next time we played them. We adjusted and had the opportunity to test it again a few weeks later.

I take zero relevance from the SANFL side to AFL level. Just have to look at 2019 for this.

It's round 3. Bit early to start ending careers of players, or calling for a sacking of a coach.

9 years is not too early to be calling to sack the coach. Why people continue to fall into some weird bubble where they only count the last few games is beyond me.

Good sides don't lose two in a row.

Which of Port or Richmond will be the good side?
Friday night, media spotlight, home game, that is when we learn what this team and its coaches are made of.

Lol get ready for a Riewoldt masterclass as he shells peas on the way to 10+ while an exasperated clurey makes funny faces.

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh how our standards have fallen under Hinkley.
What were our standards before Hinkley arrived? We hadn't made the finals since 2007 and regularly got trounced as the club culture Choco had developed slowly disintegrated in the wake of that horrible Grand Final. Hinkley has galvanized the evolving playing group, got us playing tough, attacking football and set standards of performance and behavior that we rarely waver from. It's all well and good to slag the coach but premierships don't grow on trees. What's the alternative?

What were our standards before Hinkley arrived? We hadn't made the finals since 2007 and regularly got trounced as the club culture Choco had developed slowly disintegrated in the wake of that horrible Grand Final. Hinkley has galvanized the evolving playing group, got us playing tough, attacking football and set standards of performance and behavior that we rarely waver from. It's all well and good to slag the coach but premierships don't grow on trees. What's the alternative?

Oh boy you really do swallow the s**t Kochie feeds you.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was away all weekend camping so only got home last night. Managed to avoid the scores so i sat down to watch.

In the 1st quarter when the ball was hacked out the centre bounce and fell into Ryans lap and he goaled i knew it was over

Didnt want to put myself through it so i checked the score.. glad i did. Switched the game off and turned the playstation on

Looks like i saved myself 3.5 quarters of pain and frustration

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh boy you really do swallow the sh*t Kochie feeds you.
I couldn't care less about Kochie. How would you describe the years following the 2007 Grand Final? Do you think for yourself or just follow the week by week mood that swings from 'We'll win the premiership' to 'Sack Hinkley'.

Back