Review Round 3, 2021 vs West Coast

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I couldn't care less about Kochie. How would you describe the years following the 2007 Grand Final? Do you think for yourself or just follow the week by week mood that swings from 'We'll win the premiership' to 'Sack Hinkley'.
Can you please identify the standards or performance and behavior that we rarely waver from?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I couldn't care less about Kochie. How would you describe the years following the 2007 Grand Final? Do you think for yourself or just follow the week by week mood that swings from 'We'll win the premiership' to 'Sack Hinkley'.
The mood swings from 'can we keep winning on pure talent, in spite of the coach?' to 'no we can't'.

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
hack sinkley

it is a meme, if ya believe unironically that we should sack our coach in round 3 ny’all are a meme

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can you please identify the standards or performance and behavior that we rarely waver from?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Apart from lapses such as that against West Coast and Brisbane, our application to 50/50 contests throughout each game can not be questioned. Furthermore, our resolve to continually fight for the best possible result despite a poor period of play has ensured that we have developed the ability to perform well under pressure (Carlton in Round 6, Geelong in the preliminary final). Standards of behaviour are exemplified in the way Hinkley has encouraged our players to communicate with one another in order for each player to play to their full potential.

I was away all weekend camping so only got home last night. Managed to avoid the scores so i sat down to watch.

In the 1st quarter when the ball was hacked out the centre bounce and fell into Ryans lap and he goaled i knew it was over

Didnt want to put myself through it so i checked the score.. glad i did. Switched the game off and turned the playstation on

Looks like i saved myself 3.5 quarters of pain and frustration

I think everyone knew at that same point. The gameday thread dropped off at that stage too. We've seen it all before.

If success is measured by not being as s**t as the worst 5 year period in the club's 151 year history then sure, Hinkley is an outrageously successful coach and has had the club absolutely humming along for his entire tenure. If success is defined by competing for and winning trophies then Hinkley is a mediocre coach who has had plenty of opportunity to actually achieve something and has fallen short again and again.

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If success is measured by not being as sh*t as the worst 5 year period in the club's 151 year history then sure, Hinkley is an outrageously successful coach and has had the club absolutely humming along for his entire tenure. If success is defined by competing for and winning trophies then Hinkley is a mediocre coach who has had plenty of opportunity to actually achieve something and has fallen short again and again.
So what's your solution? Sack Hinkley? Who do we replace him with? It's all well and good to bag the bloke for his shortcomings but nobody is willing to brainstorm a practical alternative.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We didnt have one problem on Sat night we had all three ...
1] Midfield failed to get a first touch & clearance all game, with NicNat putting on a clinic while our mids watched on like admiring spectators
2] Defense crumbled under pressure, looking reactive, and fumbly
3] Our forward structure was terrible, with our talls often spoiling each other

Just have a look at Afl's Access All Areas 9:30 mark, as they show some vision of the Eagles forward structure. They constantly keep separation between the three talls, leaving open areas to lead into, and allowing opportunity to individually mark. None of that with our forward structure, which is a chaotic "all crowd together and hope for the best!"

I just cannot understand why we have Bassett as our forwards coach ... makes no sense whatsoever!

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That wrap around free against Aliir was bullshit.
Ryan grabbed his arm and held it to his chest.
I was still hopeful up until that point. Things changed very, very quickly after. As soon as Kelly crumbed the ball from the resulting kick, with Wines trailing him by 10+ m, it was clear that they were much more switched on and determined than we were.

In the 1st quarter when the ball was hacked out the centre bounce and fell into Ryans lap and he goaled i knew it was over

Every year we have at least one game where no matter what we do the footy gods just absolutely s**t on us, and that was the moment I knew this was gonna be one of those games. It was the Saints game last year.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So what's your solution? Sack Hinkley? Who do we replace him with? It's all well and good to bag the bloke for his shortcomings but nobody is willing to brainstorm a practical alternative.
Practical alternative #1.

Elevate Monty of Schofield.

Practical alternative #2

Splash cash at an experienced coach (less likely to succeed)

Practical alternative #3

Run a professional selection process and select the best available understanding that there is no guarantees they will be better but it is more likely than Ken suddenly getting better.

FYI I wouldn't take any of these alternatives until 2021 is a write off

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Practical alternative #1.

Elevate Monty of Schofield.

Practical alternative #2

Splash cash at an experienced coach (less likely to succeed)

Practical alternative #3

Run a professional selection process and select the best available understanding that there is no guarantees they will be better but it is more likely than Ken suddenly getting better.

FYI I wouldn't take any of these alternatives until 2021 is a write off

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Thank you for offering solutions rather than problems. I think Ken deserves to have his contract honoured and if we haven't won a premiership by the end of 2023, we unequivocally move on.

That wrap around free against Aliir was bullshit.
Ryan grabbed his arm and held it to his chest.
What about Nic Nats non holding the ball in the last, or Houston’s play on out of bounds?

they were clever, had very soft hands, felt a tackle ball was “dislodged”

Thank you for offering solutions rather than problems. I think Ken deserves to have his contract honoured and if we haven't won a premiership by the end of 2023, we unequivocally move on.

mate 11 seasons without winning a GF is two squad rotations in effect. The club is softer than butter on a 40 degree day if that’s the case kit to mention accepting mediocrity

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Every year we have at least one game where no matter what we do the footy gods just absolutely sh*t on us, and that was the moment I knew this was gonna be one of those games. It was the Saints game last year.
This wasn’t that.

Once again, we simply didn’t turn up. West Coast did and subsequently spanked us, that’s why WCE were almost 50 up early in the second.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This wasn’t that.

Once again, we simply didn’t turn up. West Coast did and subsequently spanked us, that’s why WCE were almost 50 up early in the second.

IMO the first few goals were near impossible to stop, especially that first one from Kelly. We've been able to do this to sides in the past.
The disappointing part was our inability to respond once 4-5 goals down.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2021-2004 = 17
If the AFL plan for the draft is that a conveyor belt of singular premierships to different teams is the aim, then this year or next is our turn, thank you very much.
Please play like we are following the plan.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I think everyone else just assumed that you would work out those obvious alternatives for yourself.

On what basis does he deserve 2 more years if he fails again in 2021?

Why don't other clubs (even the basket cases) endure a lack of success for so long?

10 years with no flags does not deserve more years at a club that claims it "exists to win premierships"

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Back