Review Round 3, 2021 vs West Coast

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
The WC set plays in the centre bounces hurt us. Natanui would tap the ball into open space with a WC midfielder picking the ball up and sprinting towards the forward line under little or no pressure. He wouldn't tap the ball in the same spot. He would mix things up but the designated mid knew exactly where the tap would go, and the other mids would stay clear of the designated space. I would have been impressed if I was a neutral watching the game. But as a Port supporter it was fustrating as hell to watch. We were outcoached on that part of the game. We seemed powerless to stop it.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Lefti93

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, AEK FC
midfield has a habit of not consistently turning up. we are lucky when we get away with not showing up for a quarter or a half against the likes North or Essendon, but Eagles rightly put us away for that insipid midfield display in the first half. chasing shadows.

as average as the defenders looked, prime Matt Scarlett would look average with the volume of inside 50's conceded against that forward line.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Doesn't affect the result but seriously, compare the pair

Apart from luck, the other themes when we have a game like the weekend are quite distinct differences in rule interpretations applied only to us. I'm not only referring to this but to the Duursma high tackle earlier in this thread. As someone also mentioned in the gameday thread, WCE players were allowed to tackle Port players even if they looked like going for the ball. Again, a theme in performances like Saturday's.

None of that is to absolve the players or coaches from all of the blame. Umpires can't be blamed for us letting their midfield run free for much of it, or for our defenders playing from behind, or not moving from our zone as they picked through it with no pressure, or the totally ineffective forward structure. It is just to note the uncanny similarity.

Bars

Debutant
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dunno if this was said before.
But just realised we flew up and played the same day.

Probably not the best idea. No wonder some of the players looked ridiculously slow. Makes sense to fly over and play the same day in the eastern states. But Perth would be too long of a trip

On GM1925 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno if this was said before.
But just realised we flew up and played the same day.

Probably not the best idea. No wonder some of the players looked ridiculously slow. Makes sense to fly over and play the same day in the eastern states. But Perth would be too long of a trip

On GM1925 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is that right. Well that was a stupid decision.

It isn't right. We flew out late Friday.
Ok I remember the club had a charter flight to Perth for supporters to travel on. Got an emIl about maybe 6 or 8 weeks ago. Will dig it up. Maybe that flew out Saturday morning.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The WC set plays in the centre bounces hurt us. Natanui would tap the ball into open space with a WC midfielder picking the ball up and sprinting towards the forward line under little or no pressure. He wouldn't tap the ball in the same spot. He would mix things up but the designated mid knew exactly where the tap would go, and the other mids would stay clear of the designated space. I would have been impressed if I was a neutral watching the game. But as a Port supporter it was fustrating as hell to watch. We were outcoached on that part of the game. We seemed powerless to stop it.
Schoey?

Hinkley has galvanized the evolving playing group, got us playing tough, attacking football and set standards of performance and behavior that we rarely waver from.

I promise this isn’t me doing a bit.

I challenge you to find any supporter who believes Terry Wallace was a good coach.

Wallace was a superb matchday coach and tactician who put a heavy emphasis on technique and skills training.

He was dreadfully unlucky to not take the Dogs into the 1997 Grand Final in his first full year as coach, and later masterminded Essendon’s only defeat in the 2000 season.

The all-time sliding doors of sliding doors for him was obviously Richmond’s 2004 draft where they took Brett Deledio (#1), Richie Tambling (#4), Danny Meyer (#12), Adam Pattison (#16) and Dean Polo (#20).

Now any club can have a perfect hindsight draft, but the parallel universe where they take Brett Deledio (#1), Buddy Franklin (#4), Angus Monfries (#12), Cameron Wood (#18) and Nathan Van Berlo (#20) is obviously a very different one to that which transpired.

Losing Nathan Brown to that horrific compound leg fracture when he was arguably the best player in the league with the Tiges flying in 2005 was also horrific luck, up there with Tredders’ knee in the 2006 preseason.

#apocalypseplough

Back