Review Round 3, 2022: Box Hill Hawks vs Sandringham Zebras, 10 April 2022, 12.00pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris, Shiels, T Phillips and Long have all impressed.

Callow competes hard too. Finally gets one himself from a strong contested grab.

BH 10.9: 64
S 2.12: 24

There's one thing that Callow needs at the moment to take the next step, and that is game time & lots of it.

Callow’s positioning as a forward is very good, always playing in front. He just needs to do it for four quarters though.

Long has really faded after half time, unfortunately. Probably not enough to keep up with Shiels and Phillips in the pecking order.

My only issue with Morris is that he doesn't get the ball a bit more. When he's had it, he's looked class.
Honestly still think Morris is a better forward, he puts on a lot of pressure, has solid hands and is generally a good kick.

Shiels is too good for VFL. What's Mitchell's reasoning? Is he trying to force him to request a trade at years end? If that's the case, don't expect too much in return.
Errr...no.

But thanks for trying...

I’m wishing him the best and admittedly watching this on tv from interstate, but I’m not seeing it - a great distance from a senior call up..

Also only watching on TV.

He moves well. Kicks it a mile. Follows up to try and get involved multiple times.
This is a kid who missed his entire under 18 year then impressed enough to be 'selected' in round 1 of his first season. Got Clarko'd and only played 1 game towards the end of the season where he looked tidy.

Dealt with injuries over this pre-season and today is his first run for 2022. Looked dangerous off half back.
We'll persist with him and he has all the athletic tools and footy fundamentals to make a go of it.

Sheils, Phillips were probably BOG. Seemed to try move it quickly every chance they got.

I'm really bullish on Serong. He moves well, gets to the right spots and has second and third efforts. Lots to work with.

Butler is low production (clearly held back by endurance) but saw some glimpses.

Long has enough tools to make it. Great size, great contested work and amazing defensive side. His offensive side is still developing. If he can add some acceleration he'll be weapon.

Morris is a different player across half-back. He's VFL Hardwick with his toughness and kicking. Tough area to break into though.

Think Callow ticks a lot of boxes for a key forward. Can take marks, competes well. Hope he gets some chances this year.

Downie was fairly good on return. Makes space and can kick 60 metres off a step. Leg speed remains a concern for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long has really faded after half time, unfortunately. Probably not enough to keep up with Shiels and Phillips in the pecking order.

My only issue with Morris is that he doesn't get the ball a bit more. When he's had it, he's looked class.
Long offered a ton more defensively than either Shiels or Phillips. Phillips especially didn’t seem overly bothered to defend from what I saw.

Long was constantly at the sandy players. He was always going to tire going at 110% all game. Still for a first year it’s crazy how fit he is given his size.

I think Long currently offers more than Shiels or Phillips. Especially given our mids defensive flaws. Won’t get the touches of the other 2. But would give our defence a much easier time of it.

Good win by the lads, and what a great day to be watching some VFL footy at the G before the seniors!

Phillips and Shiels were a class above, looked real easy for them out there today

Long has plenty of upside, gets himself involved with the defensive side in the midfield which is great. Still lots to work on like gathering the ball himself and seemed to run out of gas a bit in the last quarter. More of the same type of form for longer periods and he will debut this season

Downie was solid firstup after a while out. Used the ball well, but his outside running that often wasn't used but opened the ground was good. More gametime and confidence will be key for him

Callow is a competitor. Positions himself nicely in the contest and usually gets first hands on it. Had a hand in plenty of goals with his great contests. Reakon he may play at least 1 AFL game this season

Morris had some nice moments too, probably wasn't looking for him as much as the ones above, same goes for the other Hawthorn listed lads

Is it just me or does Long look and move exactly like Nick Blakey?

I was just texting a friend talking him up, I also said that he is the best rookie pick ever.. Not getting too far ahead of myself though.

Wow, so Long is going to be better than Breust. I'm excited.

Morris has got a nice leap and some burst speed. Hopefully, he gets some confidence up down back and then goes forward when he has a little more swagger.
He just hasn't had a clean run at it always getting injured. Always looks good on the track when he is out there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back