AFLW Round 3 2022: Pride Round v St Kilda, Saturday 22 Jan, @ Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pride Round v the Saints at Casey. Without wanting to be too cocky, this should be a big win barring some Homer at the Bat style misfortunes to half the squad, or a 13 goal wind picking up at Casey for the Saints in the last quarter.

The Pride guernsey looks cool too, imo. A bit power-rangery, but it works and is still very Melbourne.

Tickets, etc. Here: https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1048420/tickets-our-first-aflw-home-game

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think the guernsey looks power rangery at all. This is a true power ranger guernsey
images (2) (27).jpeg

Teams are out. Handy ins for us, I really like Heath as a small defender and rebounder.
Grieser has struggled for the Saints but a big omission given how poor they've been going up forward.

MELBOURNE

B:
L.Birch 9 G.Colvin 32
HB: S.Heath 30 S.Lampard 8 S.Goldrick 23
C: E.McNamara 22 T.Hanks 5 C.Sherriff 18
HF: T.Harris 7 K.Hore 10 J.Parry 19
F: D.Pearce - C 6 M.Fitzsimon 24
Foll: L.Pearce 15 E.Zanker 29 K.Paxman 4
I/C: B.Tarrant 20 M.Caris 21 E.West 11 A.Bannan 16 S.Scott 12

Emerg: L.Magee 26 A.Brown 28

In: S.Heath, S.Lampard, C.Sherriff, S.Scott
Out: L.Magee (Omitted), A.Brown (Omitted), K.Petrevski (Omitted), L.Mithen (HS Protocol)

ST KILDA

B:
T.Lucas-Rodd 18 R.Ott 20
HB: B.Jakobsson 8 J.Van Dyk 36 H.Priest - C 14
C: M.McDonald 1 T.White 29 C.Phillips 35
HF: D.Guttridge 5 K.Shierlaw 12 R.Dillon 25
F: A.Richards 22 J.Vogt 10
Foll: L.Cutting 26 N.Xenos 27 T.Meyer 34
I/C: L.Burke 30 O.Vesely 23 A.Burke 3 R.Watt 7 I.Shannon 11

Emerg: R.Saulitis 13 E.Friend 16

In: A.Richards, T.Meyer, R.Watt, I.Shannon
Out: A.Woodward (Omitted), C.Greiser (Omitted), R.Saulitis (Omitted), N.Exon (Injured

This had better not be the stupid loss that we have each season. I’m not in the mood

Ah yes our negativity and anxiety has fully transferred to the women's team.
Mine definitely has, although the Saints are going to be very, very big battlers this year so I'm confident we win by plenty today. No Patrikios or Smith leaves them without any class in the guts, to go with the other week-to-week injuries and COVID outs every team is having.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is the football interrupting your ability to show commercials ch 7 ? . Not content to mutilate movies hey !! Saints have been better than I thought and we have been a bit cavalier with possession so far .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is very similar to the start of the 2021 men's season - just doing enough to win without blowing a fuse. Would take a 1 point win over Adelaide next week rather than three dominant performances against nothing sides only to fall over against an actual contender.

*en smashed em in the last.
Wanted to post during the game, but the reception at Casey Fields is shithouse.

This is very similar to the start of the 2021 men's season - just doing enough to win without blowing a fuse. Would take a 1 point win over Adelaide next week rather than three dominant performances against nothing sides only to fall over against an actual contender.
Agreed. No 'complete' performances yet, but winning comfortably regardless is promising.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I didn’t think they handled the conditions well at all.

Tried the precision short kicking game that has worked well in less windy conditions and is a real point of difference from what I can see for Melbourne vs. who they have played this season.

Instead it meant missed opportunities in the second as they didn’t try to move it quick enough with the wind, and putting themselves under unnecessary pressure into the wind as when the mistake came the ball hadn’t moved far.

While the skill levels are chalk and cheese now compared to when the league first started, you can still be confident both teams will consistently fumble and drop marks (especially in windy conditions) and therefore play a style that expects both teams to make plenty of errors.

St.Kilda played the right game style for the conditions and to their credit their pressure was very intense for the first three quarters. I think Melbourne adjusted to use handball and run more, coupled with St.Kilda tiring, which is what led to the last quarter blow out (having the wind at their backs also helped!).

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Tried the precision short kicking game that has worked well in less windy conditions and is a real point of difference from what I can see for Melbourne vs. who they have played this season.

Instead it meant missed opportunities in the second as they didn’t try to move it quick enough with the wind, and putting themselves under unnecessary pressure into the wind as when the mistake came the ball hadn’t moved far.

While the skill levels are chalk and cheese now compared to when the league first started, you can still be confident both teams will consistently fumble and drop marks (especially in windy conditions) and therefore play a style that expects both teams to make plenty of errors.

St.Kilda played the right game style for the conditions and to their credit their pressure was very intense for the first three quarters. I think Melbourne adjusted to use handball and run more, coupled with St.Kilda tiring, which is what led to the last quarter blow out (having the wind at their backs also helped!).

Completely agree, just move the ball quickly when having the wind and good things will happen. Even if the opposition are set up well behind the ball, the conditions and skill level will increase the chances that ball will get back turned over creating scoring chances.

Agreed. Catches us out when teams play high pressure, contested games too where we invite too much pressure on ourselves. We've got enough good marks up forward now to be confident in a halved contest at worst most of the time so can afford to go more direct more regularly.

I don't think we played awful, the saints just played really well and brought it to a fighting scrappy contest, which happens in womens footy, it's a fairly contested game. If you've watched the other games you'll notice other developing teams will make it a hard fought game, as seen with richmond and geelong.

I think we've done alright, kinda like the mens last yearm our better fitness is what will catch sides late in the games

That said playing away to adelaide will be a big test next week, although i'm sure the girls know we lost a grand final spot to them last year

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed. Catches us out when teams play high pressure, contested games too where we invite too much pressure on ourselves. We've got enough good marks up forward now to be confident in a halved contest at worst most of the time so can afford to go more direct more regularly.
I mentioned our in-close skills being poor, in earlier games.

Our handball skills are next to atrocious under pressure. and we don't seem to be able to hit a handball with any power to get distance. The weak handballs are the start of our fumbling, under close pressure, because support has to get in too close to the contest to receive. Then its a scrap and then usually a stoppage.
The opposition are tying up the Pacman, with close manhandling around the stoppages, not allowing her to get away with the ball. This then leaves it up to Hanks and others to get in tight for a crumb.
Its good that Hanks is smart on her feet, in close attention.

So when we are in best position to win a clearance, they tie us up at the contest. Until when they win a clearance, the Saints were much better at getting first touch away wiith a good handball to an outrider.

This issue with our handball quality will come to burn us, until we get better at it.

The men's team had similar issues a few years back, before Tracca and Clarry got into the habit of moving off with the ball before spending it.
They were easily stopped in their tracks, when we couldn't get the ball out of the packs. Support back then was getting in too close for the receive. and being corralled.

The girls must get better at getting the footy out to outriders, with clean disposal. The rest should unfold from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back