AFLW Round 3 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure why or how 2 Giants players are wearing long sleaves, that must be so uncomfortable
Haneen Zreika is cultural - you might also notice the extra long (albeit skin colored) lycra shorts under the team shorts.

absolutely no idea why Jodie Hicks is in the long sleeves - doesn't always wear them so it's not habit.

Yeah they have done well Richmond. Weathered Giants storm when they came back in the third.

Fleur Davies has got to be one of the most immobile players I've seen... Seymour running rings around her. Think the Giants benched Davies for most of the third quarter when they did the most damage.

The little'uns getting the job done with that incredibly difficult mark by Rylie Wilcox and then Tyla Hanks slotting through a goal after the siren from further-out-than-it-needed-to-be (short 50m penalty paid). Overall the Bulldogs haven't looked as slow as the last 2 weeks.

Parker and Bannan went down with injury basically at the same time in their respective matches. Both looked bad initially, possibly neither is too serious though idk.

Hawthorn again not having the players to match the opposition in the air proving to be the decisive factor. Toogood in R1 and now Tighe having massive days out, and they won't be the last key forwards to manage those numbers against the Hawks this season (playing Melbourne next week btw).

Despite not tipping them to win, Fremantle are still somehow continuing to sink below my expectations of them. Not playing good team football at all. Going to have to improve to win away against Essendon and Richmond in the next fortnight, 8 crucial points for their finals chances.

Some winning streak stats doing the rounds yesterday included Melbourne's 12th win in a row, breaking the AFLW record previously held by Fremantle (11 wins from the start of 2020 through to R4 2021).

Also mentioned was that Brooke Tonon is now 13-0 (for those who don't know, Brooke Tonon plays for a little team called the Adelaide Crows who couldn't buy a win before she came along).

I assume that's the best streak to start a career, which got me thinking about who would have the best individual streak full stop. And I'm guessing that is the run Tayla Harris is currently on: 15 wins in a row (and also 21 H&A wins in a row).

And this is all coming to a head in R6 when the likely undefeated Dees and Crows play each other, which will be one of the last chances for the aforementioned players and teams to extend their streaks, before being smashed like guitars in rounds 8 & 9 by North Melbourne.

The pre-season impression I got about Hannah Ewings has certainly manifested in the early parts of the season proper. Pretty hard to tip Port on the road without confidence in their Rising Star.
3 touches to HT today.

Dal Santo gotta go now. They won't sack him though, at most he'll get the Harford ultimatum. Playing Boyd and Plane over Burke and Friend, only way to justify that is with 4 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if some of the Collingwood players might have some advice for Lambert and Chioci.
Runner up in their BnF and last seasons Captain.
So basically the same as Bri Davey leaving Carlton.

"West Coast are a great side" says Laloifi. Carlton don't wanna insult Ella Roberts while chasing her signature, I guess. No way she's gonna stick with West Coast beyond this season.

So basically the same as Bri Davey leaving Carlton.
They where tight not to give Bri Davey the bit more she wanted.
Davey is a Captain and a match winner.
Lambert could be a match winner if she stopped flopping and would have been opportunities with Chioci, probably not even in the leadership group if she stayed.

I don’t know if Lambert left for more money and that’s fair enough if she did but without Molloy there would have been a bit more to go round you’d think

First time a round has clocked 90 points per game (90.4; last week was 89.6).

Looked like football heaven this evening in Springfield, what a hell of a ground. Vibrant atmosphere for a Sunday 5pm game, and somehow Brisbane are still playing ok football (checkies, speccies, 50-point conseccies, etc) after losing one of their top 10 players from last season.

Sydney (despite getting towelled up, particularly in one quarter--like GWS last week) are starting to show quite a bit of development beyond just a couple of players, which further raises the question about whether it was worth playing Ham. In any case, they'll smash West Coast next week.

They where tight not to give Bri Davey the bit more she wanted.
Davey is a Captain and a match winner.
Lambert could be a match winner if she stopped flopping and would have been opportunities with Chioci, probably not even in the leadership group if she stayed.
Davey gets paid like a matchwinner even while being a benchwarmer for 2 seasons. If some ex-Pies were perplexed by that, I don't blame them.

Lambert's ability to win free kicks at a similar rate to Phillips and Kearney is hardly a hindrance. Her handling of pressure in big moments is what has narrowly kept her from occupying that very top tier.

I don’t know if Lambert left for more money and that’s fair enough if she did but without Molloy there would have been a bit more to go round you’d think
Kinda like saying "Collingwood have let go their 2 marquee players (Hope and King) so they should be able to pay more to keep their B&F runner-up (Garner)". No point using logic to interpret their list management, which has always been bad.

Sydney (despite getting towelled up, particularly in one quarter--like GWS last week) are starting to show quite a bit of development beyond just a couple of players, which further raises the question about whether it was worth playing Ham. In any case, they'll smash West Coast next week.
Yeah I think they have done well this season so far. From last season to now you can tell they've worked hard and developed a game plan that suits them.

Meanwhile my Saints are just going down the barrel here - I can't see many wins this season and I can't say there will be going forward either. Not a fan of Dal Santo, but we will be stuck with him rest of the season at least.

Davey as a benchwarmer is completely disingenuous @Teen Wolf . Would you prefer players out injured just be immediately struck off the books?
I don't know why that is disingenuous, and I don't know why you're asking that question. Collingwood decided to re-sign Davey on a marquee contract after she did her ACL last year.

I don't know why that is disingenuous, and I don't know why you're asking that question. Collingwood decided to re-sign Davey on a marquee contract after she did her ACL last year.
I don’t understand what issue you take with it? She’s clearly worthy of the contract irrespective of playing status - it’s recognition of her value and standing at the club.

Should they have just offered a minimum contract to a player injured in her line of performance for the club?

I don’t understand what issue you take with it? She’s clearly worthy of the contract irrespective of playing status - it’s recognition of her value and standing at the club.

Should they have just offered a minimum contract to a player injured in her line of performance for the club?
They shouldn't have brought in Carlton's captain to eat up a huge chunk of the outside-the-cap payments if they wanted players like Molloy and Lambert to stay for the remainder of their careers.

The issue I have is that clubs make bad decisions, then they (and their supporters) often blame it on players, expansion teams and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back