Review Round 3, 2023 - Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Footy saying we have massive issues, and if game went 2 kicks the other way they would be saying "absolutely flying"

To me it isn't so much about losing it is about how we play to lose. We played terribly and are a much better side than the Dogs. Just can't drop these types of games.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not jumping the gun just yet, but if this year we regress then some serious examination of the assistant coaches is required. We just don't seem to have a big name assistant coach. The Melbourne clubs seem to change their assistant coaches every few years. Fages has just extended so we keep him, but look at some of the assistants. Anyway I still think we will go well this year
Honestly I couldn't care if they are a big name or not. But we've had the same coaches and the same issues for some time. That's the big concern and why we need a relook at what's happening.

Either the coaches are out of date/ideas or they have lost the players

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This forum is worse than the fox footy panel for overreactions after a loss. You dont go from having one of the best forward lines in the comp to one of the worst just because they misfired in one game.
Agree. However, i have two concerns, one I have mentioned previously, McStay playing that linking role and good contested play (bring ball to ground) and secondly our backs coach from last year is now the forwards coach.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fox Footy saying we have massive issues, and if game went 2 kicks the other way they would be saying "absolutely flying"

My biggest concern is that we didn't look like we could score in the last quarter. Every time we had the ball, we had nowhere to go with it.

Very harsh on Andrews there was one of our best last night.
Looked good on paper, but as I said, Footscray were just roosting it forward and he could pick the ball off. See how he goes against Collingwood when they lower their eyes and forwards run off him. The other thing is that leadership is about more than your personal game. He should have delivered an absolute ROCKET to Payne after he stuffed up the kick out instead of patting him on the arse and having a chat in the defensive huddle.

Backline is not the issue. They just cop the blame for the rest of the side not running hard and not putting the pressure on they should be. Forward line just let the ball waltz out of our forward 50 last night. Ball use from our midfield was rubbish. Half the team couldn't pick the ball up cleanly and just kept fumbling. They should be embarrassed that we lost last night. It was so evident that we're the better side but we just refused to bloody work for it. If the Penny doesn't drop soon we will waste another season with a squad that can challenge.
Agree in part. Issues all over the park, but Fagan will dish out the Mulligans to his pets come selection next week.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree. However, i have two concerns, one I have mentioned previously, McStay playing that linking role and good contested play (bring ball to ground) and secondly our backs coach from last year is now the forwards coach.
McStay was the best at the linking role up the wing especially leading the comp in those get out of jail marks up the wing for a year or so. I'm pretty sure he was also the key forward with the most pressure acts and tackles. And he was the guy who did the most racking backup duties.

People questioned his attitude but hell he showed a lot more than pretty much the entire rest of the forward line while doing a lot more work

My biggest concern is that we didn't look like we could score in the last quarter. Every time we had the ball, we had nowhere to go with it.

Because we were moving the ball slowly. It is almost as if they haven't been paying attention to what has been happening in the AFL the last 18 months.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
lets put a few things to rest ! all those who have bagged rich hang your heads , last night we missed his ball movement and experience so all this crap about his pace can die a death. likewise with andrews and paine if not for them we would have been murdered.

our midfield clearances to a winning ruck were poor as was delivery to a soft non effort forward group. knew 5 minutes in the group were off

fagan has huge problems to motivate this lot

Agree in part. Issues all over the park, but Fagan will dish out the Mulligans to his pets come selection next week.

WIshful thinking but it would be nice to see Fagan send a message

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay was the best at the linking role up the wing especially leading the comp in those get out of jail marks up the wing for a year or so. I'm pretty sure he was also the key forward with the most pressure acts and tackles. And he was the guy who did the most racking backup duties.

People questioned his attitude but hell he showed a lot more than pretty much the entire rest of the forward line while doing a lot more work

McStay's defensive efforts dropped off last year compared to previous years. He went from 1st in tackles inside 50 in 2021 to averaging half of what Hipwood did last year. Pressure acts dropped off too, unless he was in the ruck where it's easier to collect those stats.

FeastOrFamine

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lets put a few things to rest ! all those who have bagged rich hang your heads , last night we missed his ball movement and experience so all this crap about his pace can die a death. likewise with andrews and paine if not for them we would have been murdered.

our midfield clearances to a winning ruck were poor as was delivery to a soft non effort forward group. knew 5 minutes in the group were off

fagan has huge problems to motivate this lot
lol get off the high horse. All the "crap" about his pace is genuinely valid criticism. I thought we looked fine without him all things considered. Defence held up when the heat was on for the most part. He just isn't tearing games apart like he was in 2021, which is sad to say because he's one of my favourites.

Definitely possible we miss mcstay more than I thought we would
Perhaps, I actually miss a bit of good old fashioned discipline and traditional football thinking. There was passage last night where the ball was roosted to our inside 50 and Hipwood, Daniher AND McCarthy all went for the mark effectively spoiling each other. Nobody marks, ball hits the deck and Footscray clear. Simple football smarts says McCarthy stays down, but we are playing with the discipline and intelligence of a bottom 4 side. Finally, we are supposed to have all these running backs and crash hot Midfielders, but I don’t think we attempted to use the corridor on more than a handful of occasions. Fagan is using Leppa’s old playbook that he found in the bottom of a desk draw again, which dictates that you should go sideways at all costs.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
lol get off the high horse. All the "crap" about his pace is genuinely valid criticism. I thought we looked fine without him all things considered. Defence held up when the heat was on for the most part. He just isn't tearing games apart like he was in 2021, which is sad to say because he's one of my favourites.
dreaming ! look at the replay

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

To 3 quarter time we transitioned the ball once out of 22 attempts from d50 to forward 50 when the AFL average is over 20%. While defensively we do ok against a terrible forwardline our inability to bring the ball forward out of defence was one of the key reasons we lost

Based on last night. We need Rich

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our goal kicking wasn’t that bad. Too many shots from outside 50 or near the boundary
I was thinking the same.
Put it down to we just couldn't get a mark closer to goal , that just doesn't happen , maybe we can't work with a system that provides this.
Our ball movement going forward is atrosious at times. Then you have our forwards banging the same spot on the field.
Midfield , Looks like we are so unpracticed at chipping the ball with overlapping run, last night we tried but maybe only Zorko.
Structually we suck big time.
Big raps on Ashcroft , but his kicks forward , ok he's only 18 , but f..c me, short dinky to a contest , that's one reason why we lack cohesion .
At least he try's.
Lost confidence with this side.
We will finish 6th at best and then fall short again, we have not improved with structures fullstop.
It seemed last night the only time we looked ok ,was when we kicked down the line , but unfortunately there was no capable markers.

Collingwood will give us a lesson on structures , showing us how players clearly know their roles.

HereIGoAgain

Senior List
Nov 30, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many of the seniors should be picked solely on form?
I wasn't arguing the merit of these players being promoted, just responding to a suggestion that they be picked SOLELY on form. 3KZ is correct. There should be changes. Players should be selected and dropped on form. These players, if selected, would be selected for other reasons than just form.

How many of the seniors should be picked solely on form?
Select them on PRINCIPLE. Otherwise you are going to see the same complacent rubbish from blokes Fagan has given a fist full of MULLIGAN CARDS to, that they can play at will. There is ZERO reason, beyond coaching stupidity, that Mathieson is not in the seniors. We completely lack spirit. Robertson and Prior are natural footballers who have a bit of mongrel about them and they too should be in the side. Watch Fagan this week - he’ll probably select Tunstill, Lohmann and keep Wilmot in the team. He prefers pet project players over hardened and proven footballers.

Back