Game Day Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw last week Barnett brought in despite being clearly not ready for AFL football.
We saw Jack Williams brought in this week an despite the early goal he is clearly not ready for AFL footy (I don't think he ever will be, his speed and agility is just not good enough)

The team has dropped players off of performance and rewarded WAFL performance so far this year, there just isn't anyone there ready to come in.

Burgiel now injured AFAIK, Brockman potentially injured (don't have an update yet) so who are we going to bring in.

Jones was also beyond horrendous.

So what, what are the options, really.

Are we back to Outs: Jack Williams, Brockman, Jones
In: Dewar, Rawlinson and Witherden?

It's not pretty reading.

Would rather let Schofield coach the second half of 2024 and then open up the field with a thorough recruitment process.

I wouldn't be against it as i think its long overdue, but I just don't think it will change much doing it during the year and pretty much makes Schofield a sitting duck

Simmo should've gone before the last extension. He's a good coach but he's been here way too long. It happens to everyone

We saw last week Barnett brought in despite being clearly not ready for AFL football.
We saw Jack Williams brought in this week an despite the early goal he is clearly not ready for AFL footy (I don't think he ever will be, his speed and agility is just not good enough)

The team has dropped players off of performance and rewarded WAFL performance so far this year, there just isn't anyone there ready to come in.

Burgiel now injured AFAIK, Brockman potentially injured (don't have an update yet) so who are we going to bring in.

It's not pretty reading.
I will be amazed if Gaff isn't back next week

This is such a misreading of situation.

We won clearances cos we had extras around the ball. As soon as it came out, dogs had extras around the ground which helped them
Move the ball with ease.

Go and check out all our inside 50’s compared with theirs and tell me how the two are equal.

A high bomb from Yeo as a shallow inside 50 is not equal to the quality of inside 50 ball the bulldogs delivered.

I don’t care what the stats sheet says. We were out worked, out done and out played.

This “we had same number of I50’s” is a misnomer.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But it was a mature team with a very deep midfield against a team with a developing group, absolutely you would expect them to outwork and outplay us.

I think in terms of where we are coming from, that area of the game, actually getting the ball into our 50 was an improvement, but clearly, the quality of the ball going into our 50 and our work there needs to be a hell of a lot better.

Convert some of our opportunities and we turn what was unfortunately a 12+ goal loss into a 8-9 goal loss, which is what it was tracking towards.

stick with Williams up forward.

Bring in Hall in the guts and play him all year.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stick with him but he's not an AFL footballer. Lacks athleticism and competitiveness, not. A great mix for a KPF.

It's not pretty reading.
Phil, this is not the thread for sensibility. Please take your thoughts elsewhere.

On a serious note, I don't actually know what we would / could change for next week. Would Waterman / Maric be too small if we gave Darling a spell? Could Gaff play a role forward and pinch hit on the wing? Is it worth trying someone like Rotham in the hole that Witherden / Jones have tried to fill?

What options do we actually have from your perspective?

Yeah I don't mind this now. he goes missing. one place the ball always is in our defence he'd see a lot of it

I don’t know if he would. Our defensive movement is usually one of the lockdown defenders grabbing the ball and booting it as far as they can. Hardly any ability to chip it around and get cheapies, backline just under too much pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2015 injuries meant we were down on KPDs. The players themselves created the web. It bloody worked.

Maybe we should accept that if we don’t have a KPF worthy of selection, we should just play midsize and smaller forwards.

Who knows it may force us to lower our eyes when going forward.

One thing is for sure, it can’t get any worse.

Need to play Harley off the hbf so that he can get his hands on the ball and set up play.
I've said multiple times the two best position for him is only mid with bench rest.

He doesnt have the endurance for dual position role.

But I like him HBF (dual position). We will need to scale his mid time slightly if he dual positions HBF.

This whole reid forward isn't really working due to our team being so shockingly bad we can't isolate him 1 on 1

I don’t know if he would. Our defensive movement is usually one of the lockdown defenders grabbing the ball and booting it as far as they can. Hardly any ability to chip it around and get cheapies, backline just under too much pressure
He might at least try and run it out

If you have been paying attention to those in the know , our worst was yet to come with change, as the team gells, happening towards the end of the year.
We have to suck it up and not carry on like spoilt brats.
Problem with that line of thinking, is it those in the know got us into this position with terrible drafting and allowing credits in the bank dictate selection. So right now it's hard to trust those in the know to get it right.

I feel like we are closer to a genuine turn this year than we were last year, even with the worse results.

Oscar and Liam back will be nice too.

Hough gets another body in my opinion. I know weightman kicked 2, but they weren’t exactly on Brady. Kept him to 8 touches. Really coming along
We've still gone backwards relative to the rest of the competition. Maybe the end of 23 and the start of 24 is the bottom, but we need to see actual improvement in both team and player performances.

Jamaine Jones was beyond useless today.

And Jack Darling , surely this is he list season? Brereton said in commentary he has lost his leap.

Problem with that line of thinking, is it those in the know got us into this position with terrible drafting and allowing credits in the bank dictate selection. So right now it's hard to trust those in the know to get it right.
Talking about the savvy posters eg, wce Phil, Dylan82 etc.
Not wce people.

And in commentary, Underwood, Brereton and Howie brought up the topic of ‘priority picks’, West Coast need to get them and a bit more.

And I do sense the end is near for players like: Darling, Cripps, Gaff, Jamaine Jones, however good as stalwarts they have been for the Eagles in the past.

Eagles ruck division got absolutely towelled up against the likes of Tim English and Briggs from GWS.

It’s a worrying sign for the Eagles in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back