AFL Autopsy Round 3: 21 point loss to Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to get the ball before you can demonstrate your foot skills. We spent 3 quarters chasing them around the park while they played keepings off.

Yeah nah our ball winning was fine, we had two more contested possessions and only three less clearances (though we had plus nine centre clearances). Inability to use it cleanly was the problem.

Last edited:
Bulldogs supporter at work is giving me heaps. Apparently (according to him) pre each Essendon game (the Teddy Whitten memorial) they play the Teddy Whitten video revving up the troops.

We should have got stringer to steal it on his way out then.

This video would literally have no effect on any player playing the game today.
Well the Bulldogs played it yesterday. Teddy was all about one team. One in all in. We win this together.

It's mild compared to this one. Barassi would attack the prima donnas personally to bring them down.

Goddard would have copped the biggest blast imaginable by Barassi for miskicking the kick in. Would be interesting to see how Goddard would have reacted.

Last edited:
Bontompelli whacks Stringer in the eye and he goes off the ground. Nobody makes any attempt to play tightly on him, let alone play aggressively on him.

It was Mitch Honeychurch not Bont and it was entirely accidental.

We’re battling form-wise, no doubt about it

Pass mark
McGrath
Smith
Green
Stewart
Hurley
Saad
McKenna

Just ok
Bellchambers
Stringer
Hooker

Down on form
Parish
Daniher
Merrett
Goddard
Zaka
Begley
Heppell
Brown
Tippa
Dea

Crossroads
Langford
Baguley
Hartley

Injured / just back
Gleeson
Fantasia
Myers
Ambrose
Laverde

Not enough blokes playing well

I like how the 'experts' have come to two conclusions about our side following yesterday's game: the first is that Hooker should play in defence and the second is that we are too tall in the forward line (which is a point which appears to be independent of Hooker who should be playing in defence because that's where he was all-Australian).

It's hard to work out which sentiment is more idiotic in the context of 1 relevant season and three games in which our midfield has been smashed around the ball. Inside 50 numbers, time in defensive half, contested possession and clearances have been telling the same story during that time.

If we have a personnel problem in the forward line it's Stringer who doesn't hit up at the ball and work particularly hard defensively as is required from a mid-sized forward. The intensity of the game Dogs got to Begley but I have more faith in him than I do Stringer to do what we need structurally from that position.

I'm also not sure why we go through prolonged periods of play with our three 198cm+ marking forwards not being used as targets to get the ball out of defence and to move the ball down the wing. Someone needs a serious kick in the arse because Worsfold was complaining last week about playing too quick for the forwards. The solution to being stuck in our defensive half is not playing quickly and trying to run the ball out, it's holding on to the thing (and using tall guys who can take marks is a really good way of keeping the ball and moving it forward). I don't even want to think about the number of times we kick long to Green and other smalls.

We've got a serious problem with the balance of the midfield which we made worse trading in two expensive players we don't need. What concerns me is that football clubs seem extremely reluctant to depart from a shitty balance of players that doesn't work especially when they get a club 'around the mark'.

I thought that we were a sure thing for the top 8, because of our ability to score so freely, and because of our ability to move the ball on the outside, with the real issue being whether we'd have the midfield to do damage in finals. It's quite possible that the standard of the competition has improved enough to mean that we're in real trouble especially because there are sides out of last year's 8 with powerful midfields.

Yes the Dogs had been s**t this year but they're always going to be capable of bringing the pressure to win a good ol' fashioned midfield slog because that's what they do well. They didn't really need to slog it out yesterday because we couldn't get the ball off them.

It too early to panic as the win against Adelaide still looks pretty good (given that they're doing a lot of damage missing their two best inside midfiedlers) but the thing about that win was that we played Adelaide missing 5 or 6 of its most important players and the game opened up (in the way I would expect a game to open up when Adelaide is playing us and they run out of legs) which suits us.

We're just 'shifting deckchairs on the Titanic' until we can do something about the standard of the contested ball in the middle of the ground.

Port Adelaide will be interesting. If they bring something near their best intensity to the contest I don't see how we can beat them.

Edit: oh, and Tim English is going to be a superstar.

Last edited:
Brendan Goddard. The bloke who some kept saying is really hurting us with his idiotic turnovers and delusions of grandeur. Then myself and others were shouted down by a hoard of Essendon supports.

I'm sick of him. The pasty spud has never learned to realise his limitations as he's aged. The amount of turnovers he makes absolutely knocks the wind out of us, especially as a senior player.

David Myers. Got out bodied in a marketing contest by a kid and killed our momentum. I don't give a s**t how underdone he was. He has always been kept on our list because of a promise of potential that will never come.

He is a spud. A list clogger than we need to flush out before we're all covered in s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats for least time on ground. These are supposed to be our classiest players through the middle of the ground...

Myers and Fantasia returning from injury. Not sure what is going on with the rest, they should have the endurance to play more of the game than that. Can’t influence the game much from the bench.

67F9CEA7-9DBC-4085-97D3-5BC179A4B8E9.jpeg

Someone said earlier that marking was so important up forward but how important would it be in defence atm? Hooker was always a good reader of the ball in defence and so many times today that ball came in and we struggled to get it out of our defence.

Also mark and hand off to McKenna or Saad and maybe get that ball out quicker and better and even catch opposition out on transition. At the moment it just stays in there and pings around like clothes in a washing machine.

Agree 200%. The amount of marks we drop in the back half and around the ground is a massive killer.

Precisely what I asked. ******* stupid.
He was always only a ship steadier, not a future premiership coach.

But is the list really premiership material right now ?
My opinion has not changed . With the players we have we should play finals but we are not close to top 4. There is still some building to do and some weeding as well. We need a steady ship right now. Not all the pieces are in place.

We had 7 players that have been All Australians and plenty of talent under them. No excuses except effort.

David Zaharakis -Started season ok but not hit top form
Dyson Heppell -Round 1 good, been avg 2&3, needs to set the tone with tackles, drag them off the canvas when group is underperforming
Michael Hurley -Solid so far but not in his 2017 form yet
Andrew McGrath -Will eventually be a class mid (love that side step) but think we need his efficiency & ball use out of defence
Devon Smith -Prob leading the B&F, pressure been good
Brendon Goddard -Round 1 good but since looks like the game has passed him... is he taking a future stars spot?
Jake Stringer -Better rd 3 should be 70% fwd pinch hitting in mid 30% for centre bounces
David Myers -If he is a leader then he needs to improve dramatically. Either lock down roles or impact the game in some way. 2 tackles is not enough
Orazio Fantasia -We have missed him. His speed and connection to D50 along with forward pressure important to how we play
Conor McKenna -Only has 1 speed which is head down and go. When we are under pressure needs to learn how to absorb the pressure. SOunds like he will have a spell anyway if biting charge is true
Darcy Parish -Will benefit from a full season around the footy.
Josh Green -Has surprised and looked dangerous but still question his defensive work. Still is a goal hog so don't think he is in our best 22
Josh Begley -Confused about what they are doing with him and what his role is. Not applying enough pressure. Would benefit from a spell in the 2's getting his hands on the footy
Zach Merrett -Needs help from his team mates with his tags to get off the chain or start winning his own ball. Can't get his hands on the footy
Adam Saad -Seems to be cruising lacking a bit of urgency. Not getting his hands on the footy enough
Joe Daniher -Finally started to clunk a few. Should take confidence from second half as was moving better and getting a jump at it despite the brain fade handball. Think he will improve this week
Cale Hooker -Close to the best contested mark in the league but that’s being wasted at the moment if we continue to be ranked 16th for inside 50's
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti -Love tippa but not impacting the game enough. Will benefit from having Raz back to help with pressuring in forward 50
Tom Bellchambers -Was exposed for mobility against dogs. We are too tall up forward for him to rest up forward… Centre clearnces have improved but not sure this is down to his tap work
Mark Baguley -Showed a bit of aggression which we need but was off the pace. Will improve in the next few weeks with more game time.

Missing Gleesons intercept and run - Ridley or francis when fit need to come in
Ambrose will add some aggression when back
Guelfi, Mutch should be given a chance for Begley and McKenna (if he is suspended)

You’d probably be less likely to be shouted down if you didn’t call Goddard a pasty spud, Sherbert.
I've been called a lot worse in a mini golf competition Doss. The point remains, irrespective of the player he was, he is now becoming an increasing liability.

Plan B is take a punt on the kids rather than stick with dour under performing experienced players e.g. Myers, Brown

How about we not go after the easy targets . Myers and Brown are not our major issue. Start looking at the top of the tree.

How about we not go after the easy targets . Myers and Brown are not our major issue. Start looking at the top of the tree.
Brown was the only bloke in the back 6 who beat his opponent in Redpath.

We saw a lot more physicality in the woman's footy comp. We need one of the women's teams to come out to Tullarmarine and explain to our players that AFL is a hard contact sport where a team sticks up for one another as a team. If they want a non contact sport, go and play soccer or basketball.

I hate to say it but not only are some of the Women more physical but some of them also have better skills however I think the skill errors we are seeing in the men's side is more about effort than skill level because we have seen this side produce some good footy.

I like how the 'experts' have come to two conclusions about our side following yesterday's game: the first is that Hooker should play in defence and the second is that we are too tall in the forward line (which is a point which appears to be independent of Hooker who should be playing in defence because that's where he was all-Australian).

It's hard to work out which sentiment is more idiotic in the context of 1 relevant season and three games in which our midfield has been smashed around the ball. Inside 50 numbers, time in defensive half, contested possession and clearances have been telling the same story during that time.

I tend to agree. I have been with you all the way with the 3 tall forwards and I think it can still work but they have to work harder. Standing 80 meters back and waving your arms is under 12 stuff. Both Hooker and Daniher have not lead up at the ball enough and play behind too often.

If we have a personnel problem in the forward line it's Stringer who doesn't hit up at the ball and work particularly hard defensively as is required from a mid-sized forward. The intensity of the game Dogs got to Begley but I have more faith in him than I do Stringer to do what we need structurally from that position.

The issue with Stringer is we are gassing him in the first 15 minutes of the game by starting him in the midfield. He worked pretty hard in the first quarter but was pretty much done after that. This creates a problem as he is not the best defensive player going around , even more so when he has run out of gas. There is an issue now as to where he fits in.

I'm also not sure why we go through prolonged periods of play with our three 198cm+ marking forwards not being used as targets to get the ball out of defence and to move the ball down the wing. Someone needs a serious kick in the arse because Worsfold was complaining last week about playing too quick for the forwards. The solution to being stuck in our defensive half is not playing quickly and trying to run the ball out, it's holding on to the thing (and using tall guys who can take marks is a really good way of keeping the ball and moving it forward). I don't even want to think about the number of times we kick long to Green and other smalls.

Once again I will say, forwards not working hard enough or positioning well enough. This week they did not get sucked right up the ground but they did not lead either. They where 70 to 80 meters away waving arms and asking for the ball to be dropped on their head. FFS get 60 meters away lead up and if someone gets in the way well run the * over them. At the moment we make it very easy for the opposition to a) block their run or b) chip in from the side. This goes for T Bell as well. Sets up too far back and ends up out of position 8 times out of 10. Tommy should have been playing in front of English. He did not have the pace to play behind him.

We've got a serious problem with the balance of the midfield which we made worse trading in two expensive players we don't need. What concerns me is that football clubs seem extremely reluctant to depart from a shitty balance of players that doesn't work especially when they get a club 'around the mark'.

Not sure I agree we got 2 we do not need. Saad and Smith will work out. Smith has been pretty good and Saad has been tied up defending more than anything else. The issue we have is what to do with Stringer which then asks the question as to will it be a mistake to bring in someone with the view to changing his position right from the start.
There was not a lot we could do short term at the end of last year to fix the midfield because the players via trades of FA where not there. I know for a fact we made inquiries to the managers of both Martin and Kelly. Maybe we could have gone draft but that would not have fixed the issue right now and I think Smith is as good as any player ranked around the 10 to 20 mark last season. Right now we are banking on the younger guys coming on and landing antor fish in the trade/FA period.

I thought that we were a sure thing for the top 8, because of our ability to score so freely, and because of our ability to move the ball on the outside, with the real issue being whether we'd have the midfield to do damage in finals. It's quite possible that the standard of the competition has improved enough to mean that we're in real trouble especially because there are sides out of last year's 8 with powerful midfields.

I thought we where good enough to make the 8 but sure thing ? The two issues I had where IMO 2 midfielders short and the mental approach of the top end players. So far my concerns are correct. We should make the 8 but the players have to have a change in mindset.

Yes the Dogs had been s**t this year but they're always going to be capable of bringing the pressure to win a good ol' fashioned midfield slog because that's what they do well. They didn't really need to slog it out yesterday because we couldn't get the ball off them.

It too early to panic as the win against Adelaide still looks pretty good (given that they're doing a lot of damage missing their two best inside midfiedlers) but the thing about that win was that we played Adelaide missing 5 or 6 of its most important players and the game opened up (in the way I would expect a game to open up when Adelaide is playing us and they run out of legs) which suits us.

We're just 'shifting deckchairs on the Titanic' until we can do something about the standard of the contested ball in the middle of the ground.

Port Adelaide will be interesting. If they bring something near their best intensity to the contest I don't see how we can beat them.

Edit: oh, and Tim English is going to be a superstar.

I doubt the midfield could play as poorly again although our contested numbers have been pretty good. It has been what happens next over the last two weeks that has been the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back