Round 3 - All The Other Games

Can we talk about how good Geelong is?

I was no fan of their top-up years after their flags, and really hoped they would see some pain from it, but apparently not. They've drafted the kind of player we are absolutely crying out for in Jordan Clark, and all their young guys from the reserves that were drafted have come up and looked great. Sav, Parfitt, Constable (who I was desperate for us to draft when we took Spargo), Henry, Kelly. None of these guys cost a pick north of 20 in the past three years, and they're all entrenched in their 22. Rohan and Dahlhaus are hit and miss types, but cost them nothing. They don't bat that deep to be sure, but how the hell have they avoided rebuilding for the past 15 years?

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Jordan Clark is from WA isn't he? Pretty happy never to draft from there again. At least not with a high pick.

Cats are impressive. I can't like them when the smug trio of Scott, Selwood and Danger are still leading the charge though.

Jordan Clark is from WA isn't he? Pretty happy never to draft from there again. At least not with a high pick.

Cats are impressive. I can't like them when the smug trio of Scott, Selwood and Danger are still leading the charge though.
Yeah I'd prefer we stuck to Vic/TAS/NT too when we can. Is there anyone in our best 22 from elsewhere? I can only see vdB, and he already turned down a move home.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Yeah I'd prefer we stuck to Vic/TAS/NT too when we can. Is there anyone in our best 22 from elsewhere? I can only see vdB, and he already turned down a move home.
I think Jetta is from WA, but he was a late as * draft pick and seemingly an exception to the rule.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's early days...I think the Cats will fall in a heap at some stage

They're incredibly efficient going forward though and their youngn's are looking good

You don't want to peak in March though

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
It's early days...I think the Cats will fall in a heap at some stage

They're incredibly efficient going forward though and their youngn's are looking good

You don't want to peak in March though

I agree with you here, feel like they will burn out after the bye.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Can't avoid WA, can't be giving up potentially one of the best players in the game because he a groper.

Buddy
Rance
Cripps
Just to name a few who haven't gone home. Plenty of Victorians on the other side aswell.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Can we talk about how good Geelong is?

I was no fan of their top-up years after their flags, and really hoped they would see some pain from it, but apparently not. They've drafted the kind of player we are absolutely crying out for in Jordan Clark, and all their young guys from the reserves that were drafted have come up and looked great. Sav, Parfitt, Constable (who I was desperate for us to draft when we took Spargo), Henry, Kelly. None of these guys cost a pick north of 20 in the past three years, and they're all entrenched in their 22. Rohan and Dahlhaus are hit and miss types, but cost them nothing. They don't bat that deep to be sure, but how the hell have they avoided rebuilding for the past 15 years?

Even more infuriating is they picked up Stewart/Henderson an Blicavs for 2 rookie picks and a late first rounder.

Then they added a bunch of outside running midfielders for cheap like Menegola, Kelly, Constable etc

Only position they haven't managed to fill is back up for Hawkins but it's not even a position you need these days if you can find small forwards and an unselfish type

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just talking about Lloydys 926 goals at 70% accuracy. s**t he was good.

Wonder if there will be another player like him again.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Just talking about Lloydys 926 goals at 70% accuracy. s**t he was good.

Wonder if there will be another player like him again.
Doesn't look like it does it. The only current player who looks capable of getting anywhere near that sort of accuracy is TMac, and he can't actually get near the footy to actually take a shot at the moment.

Clubs apparently don't train their goal kicking that much, and in any case, it's not the kicking action thats the issue, its the pressure of the occasion

Doesn't look like it does it. The only current player who looks capable of getting anywhere near that sort of accuracy is TMac, and he can't actually get near the footy to actually take a shot at the moment.

Clubs apparently don't train their goal kicking that much, and in any case, it's not the kicking action thats the issue, its the pressure of the occasion
Weideman has become a dead eye too

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I don't understand AFL clubs, they don't train goal kicking, don't train use of the opposite foot and don't see to train contested marking.

I gotta say I'm noticing the ground being stretched alot more. It's looking like a better game

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Weideman has become a dead eye too

Kicked 18.11 @ 61%

That's good, but Lloyd kicked 926 goals @ 70%. I just doubt we will ever see another goalkicker like him again.
They were saying buddy has 922 goals an he's had an extra 250 shots at goal than Lloyd

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Carlton and Sydney would both beat us at the moment

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Kicked 18.11 @ 61%

That's good, but Lloyd kicked 926 goals @ 70%. I just doubt we will ever see another goalkicker like him again.
They were saying buddy has 922 goals an he's had an extra 250 shots at goal than Lloyd
I think Weid's will only go up from here. He was patchy early on with his accuracy, but I think that was just between the ears, which he's now seemingly gotten on top of. He's got an absolutely text book action, if i was a young player, I'd be modelling myself on him.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think Weid's will only go up from here. He was patchy early on with his accuracy, but I think that was just between the ears, which he's now seemingly gotten on top of. He's got an absolutely text book action, if i was a young player, I'd be modelling myself on him.

It's a beautiful action, just that at the same age as Weid is now, Lloyd finished the year with 350 career goals.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Cam Mooney- " I don't think there's been a better follow up ruck in the game than Mumford"

I dunno, I think Polly Farmer and Jim Stynes went allright. Corey Mckernan.. I mean even Luke Darcy won a coaches award

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
It's a beautiful action, just that at the same age as Weid is now, Lloyd finished the year with 350 career goals.
What, you don't think Weid will kick another 330 goals this year?

Yeah, he'll be comparable in accuracy alone, I'm big on Weid and his future, but he's not the sort of freak Lloyd was ... and even if he was, the game isn't conducive to those sorts of numbers anymore sadly.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Daisy Thomas (spelling?) is like the Demons's regression embodied in a player

Back