Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
7 are showing vfl today . Casey playing , match timed to finish in time for hawks and north

Just turned it on to see a Casey player falcon a bloke an they kick a goal. Good to see the VFL is s**t aswell

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Casey 22 clearances to Box Hill 8
Casey down by 5 goals lol

Commentators, Dees good on the inside Box Hill getting them on the outside...

**** our list looks in a state

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Love to hear a spot of booing from Hawks fans. Always warms my heart.

Otherwise this game is a shitfest. I'm glad we aren't the only team that looks horrid, but I'm not wild about watching AFL as a neutral so far in 2019. For the first time ever I actually agree totally with Topkent. The rules are currently impenetrable, most of the frees are wildly soft and no way is it as good to watch as even a decade ago

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
i enjoyed quarter 4 of the dogs/suns game. Going to save the other games for tomorrow night

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Otherwise this game is a shitfest. I'm glad we aren't the only team that looks horrid, but I'm not wild about watching AFL as a neutral so far in 2019. For the first time ever I actually agree totally with Topkent. The rules are currently impenetrable, most of the frees are wildly soft and no way is it as good to watch as even a decade ago

Umpiring is disgusting these days it doesn’t decide games but geez it makes them hard to watch

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
* I hate the hawks

Omeara, Mitchell, Smith, Wingard, Worpel, Scully, Impey, Burgoyne and Shiels.

I reckon their midfield group is better than ours and 7 of the 9 are from trades. Their recruiting and development absoloutely pisses on ours.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Welcome to the dark side PG. Grab a Melbourne Bitter, rock a mullet and sit back and enjoy reliving the 90s an early 00s

**** I hate the hawks

I reckon their midfield group is better than ours and 7 of the 9 are from trades. Their recruiting and development absoloutely pisses on ours.

What's interesting about that group is apart from Mitchell none of those guys would be top-tier ball winners, they only need to win their fair share. However, they are all highly skilled, clean players on the outside who can connect with each other and their forwards.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's interesting about that group is apart from Mitchell none of those guys would be top-tier ball winners, they only need to win their fair share. However, they are all highly skilled, clean players on the outside who can connect with each other and their forwards.
Wouldnt say Scully is highly skilled but his tank is massive who gets to positions that * with any zone cause he opens up holes other players cant create. Second game back after year out and already ran 15.5km gonna be massive for hawks with 2 of the best runners on the wings(Smith). While we have ******* a plodder in Jones on the wing.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
**** I hate the hawks

To be fair everyone is complaining about our defense now but they obviously seen that as our biggest hole a few years ago and went after the 2 best available defenders just like the hawks would. Missing 1/3 of our best team in positions that look massive in our set up. Plus Hawks have been best traders in the AFL for a long time and always look like they give up overs(besides scully) but their system is so ******* good. its only 6 btw Worpal, Smith, Shiels were all drafted by Hawks. The way we develope players is our biggest problem not our trading

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
To be fair everyone is complaining about our defense now but they obviously seen that as our biggest hole a few years ago and went after the 2 best available defenders just like the hawks would. Missing 1/3 of our best team in positions that look massive in our set up. Plus Hawks have been best traders in the AFL for a long time and always look like they give up overs(besides scully) but their system is so ******* good. its only 6 btw Worpal, Smith, Shiels were all drafted by Hawks. The way we develope players is our biggest problem not our trading

Oh yeah for some reason I counted Smith.
It's just nuts how we spent a bunch of first rounders on our midfield (Toumpas, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca) and yet unless it's a contested scrap a side who had hardly had a pick inside the top 10 in a decade has built a much more diverse and dangerous midfield.

I'm super happy we got Lever and May and we did the right thing but outside of Harmes we haven't got an AFL quality midfielder from any of our later picks.

It sucks that we need small forwards, wingers and marking defenders and the hawks manage to get all of them with a shitter drafting hand.

They got Sicily for like a pick in the 40s or something and we had to pay a first and a pick swap for Lever. We are desperate for Coniglio and yet they get Scully, Mitchell and Wingard in 2 years.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's just nuts how we spent a bunch of first rounders on our midfield (Toumpas, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca) and yet unless it's a contested scrap a side who had hardly had a pick inside the top 10 in a decade has built a much more diverse and dangerous midfield.

I'm super happy we got Lever and May and we did the right thing but outside of Harmes we haven't got an AFL quality midfielder from any of our later picks.

It sucks that we need small forwards, wingers and marking defenders and the hawks manage to get all of them with a shitter drafting hand.

They got Sicily for like a pick in the 40s or something and we had to pay a first and a pick swap for Lever. We are desperate for Coniglio and yet they get Scully, Mitchell and Wingard in 2 years.
reckon hawks know its so hit and miss with high pick so why not go out and get a player you already know how they gonna go in the AFL and develope them further and learn the system
Put that all down to development/system though cant ya. its not like all of our high picks were hail mary shots they were all picked where they were supposed to go we just dont develope them right. 3 new players last year couple dropped straight away same again this year dropped straight away and played in wrong positions. Hawks gave up alot for Wingard 1st, 2nd and Burton who is gonna be a player. They must be paying a *load of Scullys contract in that deal or something surely they arent miracle workers. I dont rate high picks pretty sure you dont either its how you develope the players you pick up. So thats the 1 place id be making changes development coach and line coaches. * knows why we didnt go after Ratten

To be fair you wouldn't know if we'd drafted a good midfielder late anyway because they wouldn't get the chance to play midfield ahead of Brayshaw etc. Also doesn't help that the Hawks are a much more attractive destination for players seeking a trade than us.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
So having watched the GW$ game and the lions game on the weekend, I'm just not enjoying the footy in general this year. People will say it's because we aren't winning, but I enjoyed the footy for a decade when we were literally the worst team in history.

Something is wrong with it this year. Skills are at an all time low. Set shots are an embarrassment. Simple things like correct handball technique has gone out the window, but then super technical stuff like starting positions, protected zones when players are simply trying to get to the mark and have to run in some weird circle to get there, the below the knee contact rule (where Newnes drops a chest mark when he's on his knees, crawls to regather the ball which was 1m away from him and gets done because the the Freo guy falls over his back) is an order of magnitude too technical, Gawn givin away ruck free kicks where both sides ran from the contest and Bellchambers hands Gawn the ball thinking the free kick was going the other away, simple 2m handballs going flying over players' heads etc.

Prior opportunity has been reduced to needing an atomic clock to measure. Players aren't confident the umpires will just call a ball up when tackled immediately, so they try to dispose of it with three people pinning their arms and inevitably don't get a 'legal' disposal away and are pinged. It's just horrendous.

6-6-6 and the other ridiculous rules they brought in were meant to 'fix' the 'scoring problem' the game apparently had, but thankfully and laughably scoring is the lowest it's been in 50 years.

It just feels way too technical and I think the reason I'm not liking it is that these rules have fundamentally changed the sport. It's just broken at the moment. 50-odd free kicks in a game indicates something isn't right. It is like netball.

All this when there have actually been some good games to start the season.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So having watched the GW$ game and the lions game on the weekend, I'm just not enjoying the footy in general this year. People will say it's because we aren't winning, but I enjoyed the footy for a decade when we were literally the worst team in history.

Something is wrong with it this year. Skills are at an all time low. Set shots are an embarrassment. Simple things like correct handball technique has gone out the window, but then super technical stuff like starting positions, protected zones when players are simply trying to get to the mark and have to run in some weird circle to get there, the below the knee contact rule (where Newnes drops a chest mark when he's on his knees, crawls to regather the ball which was 1m away from him and gets done because the the Freo guy falls over his back) is an order of magnitude too technical, Gawn givin away ruck free kicks where both sides ran from the contest and Bellchambers hands Gawn the ball thinking the free kick was going the other away, simple 2m handballs going flying over players' heads etc.

Prior opportunity has been reduced to needing an atomic clock to measure. Players aren't confident the umpires will just call a ball up when tackled immediately, so they try to dispose of it with three people pinning their arms and inevitably don't get a 'legal' disposal away and are pinged. It's just horrendous.

6-6-6 and the other ridiculous rules they brought in were meant to 'fix' the 'scoring problem' the game apparently had, but thankfully and laughably scoring is the lowest it's been in 50 years.

It just feels way too technical and I think the reason I'm not liking it is that these rules have fundamentally changed the sport. It's just broken at the moment. 50-odd free kicks in a game indicates something isn't right. It is like netball.

All this when there have actually been some good games to start the season.

The games been going to s**t for years. Im 28 and its not the same game I grew up watching as a kid. Everything I enjoyed about the game as a kid has been either sanitised or coached out of the game.
High marking, Torpedoes, Big bumps, Fights, Rivalries, Full Forwards, Attacking footy, Shepherding One on One etc
All been replaced with Themed rounds, Congestion, Forwards bringing the ball to ground, Men behind the ball, Banning of all bumps, Hybrid forwards, Zoning etc.

The AFL has turned into a ******* drama series, all of the shows spend equal time talking about social issues, rules, suspensions etc than they do actually celebrating the game.

Back