U18 Champs Round 3 - Allies vs WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Allies took an early lead and looked like they might pull off an upset, but then WA pulled back their lead and won comfortably, the game was a bit scrappy but WA clearly having the better players.

Best Players imo
1. Robertson - WA - again doing a tonne of inside work, getting clean handballs to team mates in the clear, his kicking was a bit wayward this game but a small knock on a very good game.
2. O'Neill - Allies - worked his way into contests and used the ball very well, took on opponents and showed some run, one of his best games for the year, seems to step up to the higher level of football comfortably
3. Rivers - WA - really commanded half back, won a lot of ball and used it cleverly out of defence
4. Garcia - WA - played good on the inside again, he and Robertson make a clean handling partnership in the centre and his agility to get around opponents makes him a valuable midfielder
5. Warner - WA - tough inside mid, lacks a bit of athleticism, but makes up for it through blue collar tough football, kicks the ball more efficiently than it seems
6. Green - Allies - he is always in the middle of a pack getting hands free and getting a clearance, he is just a clearance bull always with a tackler hanging off him, had a tough day with WA having some big bodies that were all over him
7. Sharp - WA - he is athlete and footballer rolled into 1, he is tall, quick, can kick long goals, agile, flexible, his kicking has been a bit off, but he has all the attributes you look for a first rounder, kicked a nice long goal, took a few runs, mixed disposal this game, but i expect him to go high on draft night
8. Budarick - Allies - put in a great effort and stood out as a talent during the game, works hard, runs hard, is a rare good user of the ball for the Allies
9. Taylor - WA - some special moments and good snaps at goal, he has great athletic qualities and will likely get drafted but its hard to know where as he is also a bit laconic, in and out of games, kicked 3 goals
10. Thorne - WA - a little guy and not likely to get drafted but has pace and gives it his all, 3 goal haul to help WA regain the lead was a good performance.

Gaden got injured and Ruscoe was playing sore, both are unlucky not to be in the bests, both had good games also, i also thought Murphy, Anderson and Gulden showed a bit, the commentator seemed to really like a few things Rosas did too.

Allies took an early lead and looked like they might pull off an upset, but then WA pulled back their lead and won comfortably, the game was a bit scrappy but WA clearly having the better players.

Best Players imo
1. Robertson - WA - again doing a tonne of inside work, getting clean handballs to team mates in the clear, his kicking was a bit wayward this game but a small knock on a very good game.
2. O'Neill - Allies - worked his way into contests and used the ball very well, took on opponents and showed some run, one of his best games for the year, seems to step up to the higher level of football comfortably
3. Rivers - WA - really commanded half back, won a lot of ball and used it cleverly out of defence
4. Garcia - WA - played good on the inside again, he and Robertson make a clean handling partnership in the centre and his agility to get around opponents makes him a valuable midfielder
5. Warner - WA - tough inside mid, lacks a bit of athleticism, but makes up for it through blue collar tough football, kicks the ball more efficiently than it seems
6. Green - Allies - he is always in the middle of a pack getting hands free and getting a clearance, he is just a clearance bull always with a tackler hanging off him, had a tough day with WA having some big bodies that were all over him
7. Sharp - WA - he is athlete and footballer rolled into 1, he is tall, quick, can kick long goals, agile, flexible, his kicking has been a bit off, but he has all the attributes you look for a first rounder, kicked a nice long goal, took a few runs, mixed disposal this game, but i expect him to go high on draft night
8. Budarick - Allies - put in a great effort and stood out as a talent during the game, works hard, runs hard, is a rare good user of the ball for the Allies
9. Taylor - WA - some special moments and good snaps at goal, he has great athletic qualities and will likely get drafted but its hard to know where as he is also a bit laconic, in and out of games, kicked 3 goals
10. Thorne - WA - a little guy and not likely to get drafted but has pace and gives it his all, 3 goal haul to help WA regain the lead was a good performance.

Gaden got injured and Ruscoe was playing sore, both are unlucky not to be in the bests, both had good games also, i also thought Murphy, Anderson and Gulden showed a bit, the commentator seemed to really like a few things Rosas did too.
Thomas Green is a GWS Academy player and was selected in the AFL Academy team. Some have him going top 3, but he's going to be drafted by the Giants because they need to breed more tough mids to replace Coniglio and De Boer.

Mitch O'Neill is tied to North Melbourne and is widely projected as a first rounder, but is still a bit runty. He'll go to the Kangaroos, but might slide out of the top 10 before a bid comes.

Connor Budarick is going to be a Sun in November, it just depends where another club bids, before or after the Lions' 1st round pick - either way, it might be a case for the Suns trading out of the position and back in like Sydney did last year in order to match the bid AND retain a high Draft pick.

Dirk Koenen was officially listed in the Allies best and has had an impressive season in the NAB League and the NEAFL. Expect him to remain in the Allies side and get an invite to the AFL Combine again, but after last year's draft and considering the Suns have such a long list of key defenders, Koenen could be headed for another club.

Thomas Green is a GWS Academy player and was selected in the AFL Academy team. Some have him going top 3, but he's going to be drafted by the Giants because they need to breed more tough mids to replace Coniglio and De Boer.

Mitch O'Neill is tied to North Melbourne and is widely projected as a first rounder, but is still a bit runty. He'll go to the Kangaroos, but might slide out of the top 10 before a bid comes.

Connor Budarick is going to be a Sun in November, it just depends where another club bids, before or after the Lions' 1st round pick - either way, it might be a case for the Suns trading out of the position and back in like Sydney did last year in order to match the bid AND retain a high Draft pick.

Dirk Koenen was officially listed in the Allies best and has had an impressive season in the NAB League and the NEAFL. Expect him to remain in the Allies side and get an invite to the AFL Combine again, but after last year's draft and considering the Suns have such a long list of key defenders, Koenen could be headed for another club.

I’m certain O’Neill isn’t tied to the Roos based on no one including the afl ever listing him as such

Mitch O'Neill tied to North Melbourne? How so?

i heard last year that O'Neill has aboriginal ancestry, but i thought the AFL knocked back Norths claim for NGA, i believe he is in the open pool, but you know the AFL and NGA info, no-one really knows...

i heard last year that O'Neill has aboriginal ancestry, but i thought the AFL knocked back Norths claim for NGA, i believe he is in the open pool, but you know the AFL and NGA info, no-one really knows...
Yeah, NGA rules are cloudy at best. There was a bit of excitement on the North BF forum, but they suddenly went all weird and shut down the thread as though O'Neill could somehow go through the NAB Champs without being noticed by rival teams. I thought the Roos were incredibly lucky for Bailey Scott to slide so far last year after being underdogs to get him in the first place. No way O'Neill will make it out of the 1st round on his body of work, although I'm no longer certain about the NGA status. Found articles that hint at it, but nothing showing a direct link.

At the ground, Max Murphy really impressed me. Half back in the first half and then pushed up to the wing. Very nice kick, good pace, read the play well and applied a lot of pressure. Not sure how draftable a low possession outside mid is, but he's got something.

At the ground, Max Murphy really impressed me. Half back in the first half and then pushed up to the wing. Very nice kick, good pace, read the play well and applied a lot of pressure. Not sure how draftable a low possession outside mid is, but he's got something.

He showed poise, balance, a clean set of heels & sure ball handling skills in the first half, where few others did.

Once the fitness factor took it's toll on the Allies game-style in the second-half, then the w/a boys got let off the leash....Didn't help that the Allies couldn't put the score on the board when they had them on the ropes early doors though.....Might have made for a closer game in the end then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He showed poise, balance, a clean set of heels & sure ball handling skills in the first half, where few others did.

Once the fitness factor took it's toll on the Allies game-style in the second-half, then the w/a boys got let off the leash....Didn't help that the Allies couldn't put the score on the board when they had them on the ropes early doors though.....Might have made for a closer game in the end then.
When the Allies had their camps and whatnot, they took a whole bunch of bottom-agers, but really should have been developing a team given they've made so many changes between game 1 and game 2. It may very well benefit next year's team when the kids come back for their Draft year, but it doesn't seem to have worked too well. The 4 Suns players who came in lifted the side's performance, but I don't know why they weren't playing from game 1 given the Gold Coast Suns NAB League team won the Academy Series and these 5 were consistently amongst the best.

When the Allies had their camps and whatnot, they took a whole bunch of bottom-agers, but really should have been developing a team given they've made so many changes between game 1 and game 2. It may very well benefit next year's team when the kids come back for their Draft year, but it doesn't seem to have worked too well. The 4 Suns players who came in lifted the side's performance, but I don't know why they weren't playing from game 1 given the Gold Coast Suns NAB League team won the Academy Series and these 5 were consistently amongst the best.

For the Allies, Peatling & McGrory where the 2 lads that caught my eye...And they're both GwS boys.

For the Allies, Peatling & McGrory where the 2 lads that caught my eye...And they're both GwS boys.
Tom Green is a gun too. GWS will have some bids to match, yet again. I believe the way they've been able to recruit Academy players with 2nd and 3rd round picks is the secret of their success, along with their over generous draft concessions at start up and astute mature age recruitment. The Suns have never really been able to draft cut price Academy players, even with Jack Bowes. This could be the season where a couple of their own players attract bids in that late 1st round to early 3rd round zone where the 20% discount applies and players have slipped down from their true value, although there is a fair argument to suggest that Bowes might have gone much earlier had he not been Academy-tied and that Sydney bid on him because they are jerks like that.

Tom Green is a gun too. GWS will have some bids to match, yet again. I believe the way they've been able to recruit Academy players with 2nd and 3rd round picks is the secret of their success, along with their over generous draft concessions at start up and astute mature age recruitment. The Suns have never really been able to draft cut price Academy players, even with Jack Bowes. This could be the season where a couple of their own players attract bids in that late 1st round to early 3rd round zone where the 20% discount applies and players have slipped down from their true value, although there is a fair argument to suggest that Bowes might have gone much earlier had he not been Academy-tied and that Sydney bid on him because they are jerks like that.

Everyone already knows about Green, O'Neill, Budarick & Martyn….I'm more interested in the players on the borders who show they have an upside in being able to make the grade.

The Giants have certainly utilised & managed their initial drafting advantages far better than the Gold Coast ever did.

Everyone already knows about Green, O'Neill, Budarick & Martyn….I'm more interested in the players on the borders who show they have an upside in being able to make the grade.

The Giants have certainly utilised & managed their initial drafting advantages far better than the Gold Coast ever did.
GWS had far more concessions than the Suns, so your comment is unfounded. The GWS zone has yielded far more AFL calibre players, they have had the equivalent of 3 more 1st round draft picks in the form of concessions, they have had far larger salary caps under COLA and their list size allowances have been 2 to 4 players larger since 2013. The AFL ran 2 vastly different start ups and only this past offseason have they begun to redress the imbalance with the prelisting mature tier 2 player concessions and expanded list size. If the Suns had the same benefits as the Giants, including facilities, the Gold Coast would also be playing finals. Gillon McLachlan has an agenda that never included success for the Suns that wasn't created from the club itself whereas GWS was handed everything on a silver platter.

GWS had far more concessions than the Suns, so your comment is unfounded. The GWS zone has yielded far more AFL calibre players, they have had the equivalent of 3 more 1st round draft picks in the form of concessions, they have had far larger salary caps under COLA and their list size allowances have been 2 to 4 players larger since 2013. The AFL ran 2 vastly different start ups and only this past offseason have they begun to redress the imbalance with the prelisting mature tier 2 player concessions and expanded list size. If the Suns had the same benefits as the Giants, including facilities, the Gold Coast would also be playing finals. Gillon McLachlan has an agenda that never included success for the Suns that wasn't created from the club itself whereas GWS was handed everything on a silver platter.

You certainly have some valid points, but I'm just not sure this is the thread for them....The Kangaroos were slated to go up there, just as the Bulldogs were being groomed to head up to west Sydney....Of course, neither of those things eventuated, though this poster for one feels that it would have been best for the competition had they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back