Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Love this ...

168744173_1408147496206528_7930105145399107659_n.jpg

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Cottrell should stay in and Setterfield should replace Dow.

Think they may give McGov another week in the Ressies.

What I'm most curious about is are we going to wait for DeKonig to be ready before we look to swap Levi out because Pitt has no chop out if Levi goes early as a lot are suggesting (on output I agree but Pitt does need a bit of a break and they won't use Harry).
My question is, where does Setterfield play in that scenario?

Dow played forward flank/wing, and ostensibly has superior attributes to Setterfield for that position as well as a good deal more pace, whether straight line or evasive. Setterfield does not complement our game whilst we have Ed and Cripps as the midfield duo, which is why Teage has tried to move Ed out in favour of Williams and Martin.

He wants more speed through there, and while Setterfield is struggling for form and Ed is still getting picked, it's just not going to work. We need more pace, not less.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
My question is, where does Setterfield play in that scenario?

Dow played forward flank/wing, and ostensibly has superior attributes to Setterfield for that position as well as a good deal more pace, whether straight line or evasive. Setterfield does not complement our game whilst we have Ed and Cripps as the midfield duo, which is why Teage has tried to move Ed out in favour of Williams and Martin.

He wants more speed through there, and while Setterfield is struggling for form and Ed is still getting picked, it's just not going to work. We need more pace, not less.

We have enough speed in the centre with Williams, Walsh, Fog and with Cottrell and Newnes coming in off the wings. Sure don't put Setters, Ed and Crippa together at the same time but Ed was tagging last game anyway and may do so again this week with Anderson having a good start to the year.

Dow's "pace" has not seen the light of day in the first 3 games anyway so no loss there and tbh if Teague wants to move Ed out then move him right out as in out of the team because if he ain't in the middle and in particular in the middle negating then he certainly shouldn't be playing forward or wing, plenty of more suited players available. Ed anywhere other than the centre square is just giving a guy a game because he's been a wonderful servant of the club.

Setters is being used in the wrong position and coaches are getting too caught up in making every player a utility. He's an inside ball winner who can lay and stick a tackle, is smart with his disposal and should be playing in the middle.

Otherwise don't bother with him at all.

Why not rotate Setters and Crippa off the bench, God knows Crippa is just getting in the way when he goes forward.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Very happy with the win. While it would have been nice to reck up the percentage, I am pretty sure we ran 150kms in the first half which is big and 140 in the second. Spent the tickets early and then got a little sloppy. If we where 10 goals down and kicked 3 late in the 3rd and then won the last quarter by a point, it would be little concellation. Those games still feel like a 10 goal loss to me. This a team that has no idea what to do when up by that sort of margin.

Cottrell running is insane. Fastest moving average on the ground and second most sprints. The cover he gave in that second quarter was great- getting back to touch the Fredrick shot on goal and continually getting on screen to provide the extra number. Was shocked when Setters lined up on the wing against Brad Hill in the preseason and have been horrified at his role in the first 2 games. A defensive winger made a massive difference. Would have loved Cotter’s to have run with Crisp in round 2

Parks I was less impressed with. Had an easy night with Jones being unstoppable. Made a couple of kicking errors and needed to be better in the 3rd when he was loose man up and allowed Taberner to come through from behind to mark and goal. Still a wait and see.

Fogarty has been the revelation of the season stepping up to a level far higher than expected. He is a high intensity footballer that uses it well. I think the cats loss demonstrates why when older player performance drops down to just acceptable you need to give games to younger players. Dahlhaus and now Higgins give then nothing like what Fog will give this season. This is why Murph needs to be moved aside to give Cunners or Fisher when he is up and running. 3 games with little impact. Murphy played the forward role under Bolts and it didn’t work.

Dow needs to go back to the 2s to get 25 plus for 3 weeks in a row. Just not getting enough time through the middle in his current role. When he is in there he just not comfortable. Couldn’t fault his intent as he cracked in. Bring in Stoker for 3 week to have a crack at the role.

Levi had a nearly game where he got his hands to the ball and was never outmarked. Just wonder if he has lost an inch of leap which has messed with his timing and judgement. Think he should go back to the 2 s to find it.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We have enough speed in the centre with Williams, Walsh, Fog and with Cottrell and Newnes coming in off the wings. Sure don't put Setters, Ed and Crippa together at the same time but Ed was tagging last game anyway and may do so again this week with Anderson having a good start to the year.

Dow's "pace" has not seen the light of day in the first 3 games anyway so no loss there and tbh if Teague wants to move Ed out then move him right out as in out of the team because if he ain't in the middle and in particular in the middle negating then he certainly shouldn't be playing forward or wing, plenty of more suited players available. Ed anywhere other than the centre square is just giving a guy a game because he's been a wonderful servant of the club.

Setters is being used in the wrong position and coaches are getting too caught up in making every player a utility. He's an inside ball winner who can lay and stick a tackle, is smart with his disposal and should be playing in the middle.

Otherwise don't bother with him at all.

Why not rotate Setters and Crippa off the bench, God knows Crippa is just getting in the way when he goes forward.
The point of what I said was, I don't think Dow and Setterfield are competing for the same position.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The point of what I said was, I don't think Dow and Setterfield are competing for the same position.

Yes I get that and they're not. If they want to persist with Dow then he should be playing in the middle but is spending most of his time at HF where he has been virtually invisible. Setters has been on a wing but should be in the middle.

We can easily cover Dow at HF with others (Gibbons/Williams/Fog rotating through) already in the team and Setters can add more grunt/chop out for Cripps in the centre.

Usually when a player falls to illness he's brought straight back in once better and Setters was playing until he got sick, so the MC aren't seeing a form issue at this point by the looks.

Look this is all just hypothetics but I think Cottrell did enough to stay in so no need for Setters on a wing and a slight re-jigging can cover Dow no problem.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Very happy with the win. While it would have been nice to reck up the percentage, I am pretty sure we ran 150kms in the first half which is big and 140 in the second. Spent the tickets early and then got a little sloppy. If we where 10 goals down and kicked 3 late in the 3rd and then won the last quarter by a point, it would be little concellation. Those games still feel like a 10 goal loss to me. This a team that has no idea what to do when up by that sort of margin.

Cottrell running is insane. Fastest moving average on the ground and second most sprints. The cover he gave in that second quarter was great- getting back to touch the Fredrick shot on goal and continually getting on screen to provide the extra number. Was shocked when Setters lined up on the wing against Brad Hill in the preseason and have been horrified at his role in the first 2 games. A defensive winger made a massive difference. Would have loved Cotter’s to have run with Crisp in round 2

Parks I was less impressed with. Had an easy night with Jones being unstoppable. Made a couple of kicking errors and needed to be better in the 3rd when he was loose man up and allowed Taberner to come through from behind to mark and goal. Still a wait and see.

Fogarty has been the revelation of the season stepping up to a level far higher than expected. He is a high intensity footballer that uses it well. I think the cats loss demonstrates why when older player performance drops down to just acceptable you need to give games to younger players. Dahlhaus and now Higgins give then nothing like what Fog will give this season. This is why Murph needs to be moved aside to give Cunners or Fisher when he is up and running. 3 games with little impact. Murphy played the forward role under Bolts and it didn’t work.

Dow needs to go back to the 2s to get 25 plus for 3 weeks in a row. Just not getting enough time through the middle in his current role. When he is in there he just not comfortable. Couldn’t fault his intent as he cracked in. Bring in Stoker for 3 week to have a crack at the role.

Levi had a nearly game where he got his hands to the ball and was never outmarked. Just wonder if he has lost an inch of leap which has messed with his timing and judgement. Think he should go back to the 2 s to find it.
I don’t want to over rate him but I really liked the INTENT from Parks. I loved that when he made a mistake he decided to fix it. He tries to stick to his man. He has a real edge to his game. I also didn’t think the ‘pace’ of the game got him at all which is unusual for a first gamer. He’s a genuine defender.

A lot to like. Pleasantly surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Thoughts on the game

Good:

Definitely a slight shift in the gameplan/tactics. More compressed which aided the better contested numbers, numbers at the turnover/disputed ball, lowering eyes and hitting shorter targets, switching/shifting a number times to create an open avenue/+1 when we attacked

Harry - Forget the goals, or that he was playing on short people, leading up hard at the ball carrier. Mark or not allowing intercept marks. Tougher this week, but want to see this every week

Parks - Smart footballer that certainly took pressure off Doc, where he didn't have be the Backline's "everything"

SPS - Above setup allowed him to play more in front of the rest of the other defenders, where he was able to be more damaging with the ball

Jones and Weits more in sync

Fog, will replace Curnow

Cotts - Naturally aggressive, stays for now

JSos - Lost count how many times he halved a contest, fitter this year than any time over his career

Walsh, Cripps, warriors, but keep bring teammates into the game

Still WIP:

Consistency in decision making and execution, hopefully more tempo layers will help.

Composure at set shots. I get some players prefer to kick around corners, but ffs, take the allotted time

Concerning

Dow - Has shown some much better signs, but struggling to find the pill and seems to have lost his natural burst and aggression. Defensively average. If he stays in, let him hunt the pill, release the shackles

Flow from one unit/arc to another still seems like a clear divide, but it was better

Betts - Love him, put some nice blocks on, created space for others, but 4 turnovers/clangers from 4 touches is not acceptable. We have enough guys that offer as much if not more

Can't get a handle on who will come in, but I think Dow will come out

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Thoughts on the game

Good:

Definitely a slight shift in the gameplan/tactics. More compressed which aided the better contested numbers, numbers at the turnover/disputed ball, lowering eyes and hitting shorter targets, switching/shifting a number times to create an open avenue/+1 when we attacked

Harry - Forget the goals, or that he was playing on short people, leading up hard at the ball carrier. Mark or not allowing intercept marks. Tougher this week, but want to see this every week

Parks - Smart footballer that certainly took pressure off Doc, where he didn't have be the Backline's "everything"

SPS - Above setup allowed him to play more in front of the rest of the other defenders, where he was able to be more damaging with the ball

Jones and Weits more in sync

Fog, will replace Curnow

Cotts - Naturally aggressive, stays for now

JSos - Lost count how many times he halved a contest, fitter this year than any time over his career

Walsh, Cripps, warriors, but keep bring teammates into the game

Still WIP:

Consistency in decision making and execution, hopefully more tempo layers will help.

Composure at set shots. I get some players prefer to kick around corners, but ffs, take the allotted time

Concerning

Dow - Has shown some much better signs, but struggling to find the pill and seems to have lost his natural burst and aggression. Defensively average. If he stays in, let him hunt the pill, release the shackles

Flow from one unit/arc to another still seems like a clear divide, but it was better

Betts - Love him, put some nice blocks on, created space for others, but 4 turnovers/clangers from 4 touches is not acceptable. We have enough guys that offer as much if not more

Can't get a handle on who will come in, but I think Dow will come out
I will now be a bit surprised if they don’t bring McGovern in. The game is now perfect for him. He is a hard lead at the ball type. He would also deliver it very well to McKay. Has been (when fit) good at chase down tackling too.

Bit of a misleading stat when he scored with 2 of those 4 touches.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I will now be a bit surprised if they don’t bring McGovern in. The game is now perfect for him. He is a hard lead at the ball type. He would also deliver it very well to McKay. Has been (when fit) good at chase down tackling too.

Yeah, get the feeling it will be Gov for Dow

Would also like to see OMac for Levi. That knee isn't right, but it seems he is more worried how he lands, which has effected his contested marking

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit of a misleading stat when he scored with 2 of those 4 touches.

Strange I know, but 4 disposals for a small forward with that many entries isn't great, even though we looked for H so many times.

Understand Teague will likely give him one more week, as he may have needed the run to blowout the cobwebs

Seems like we are more focused on making finals this year, rather than developing an option/s for when we are a contender

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, get the feeling it will be Gov for Dow

Would also like to see OMac for Levi. That knee isn't right, but it seems he is more worried how he lands, which has effected his contested marking
I’d be surprised if Gov came in after only playing half a game in a VFL practice match. The step up from a VFL practice match to a R4 AFL match will need time to get his match fitness up.

If Dow is dropped I’d expect Setterfield back in, given he wasn’t dropped but missed through illness (gastro).

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d be surprised if Gov came in after only playing half a game in a VFL practice match. The step up from a VFL practice match to a R4 AFL match will need time to get his match fitness up.

If Dow is dropped I’d expect Setterfield back in, given he wasn’t dropped but missed through illness (gastro).

That's why I just can't get a feel for the ins

We know Teague wants Gov in the side, playing limited minutes would be around touch more than fitness given AR's mantra, but I agree, give Gov another hitout at the lower levels

Setters is the more obvious choice, but it took a while for Teague to put Setters back in the guts last year

Stocker could play a rotation role with SPS, or play mid and rest forward

All interesting possible inclusions

Back