Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be an unpopular opinion but I actually think Cottrell is an upgrade on Setterfield as a pure wingman. Will be interesting to see what they do this coming week if both are fit.
Because Setterfield is an inside mid, not a manufactured wingman. Having said that, if the boss asks you to do a job, crack in and do it. Not sure he has the wheels though and Teague should know this.

Thoughts on the game

Good:

Definitely a slight shift in the gameplan/tactics. More compressed which aided the better contested numbers, numbers at the turnover/disputed ball, lowering eyes and hitting shorter targets, switching/shifting a number times to create an open avenue/+1 when we attacked

Harry - Forget the goals, or that he was playing on short people, leading up hard at the ball carrier. Mark or not allowing intercept marks. Tougher this week, but want to see this every week

Parks - Smart footballer that certainly took pressure off Doc, where he didn't have be the Backline's "everything"

SPS - Above setup allowed him to play more in front of the rest of the other defenders, where he was able to be more damaging with the ball

Jones and Weits more in sync

Fog, will replace Curnow

Cotts - Naturally aggressive, stays for now

JSos - Lost count how many times he halved a contest, fitter this year than any time over his career

Walsh, Cripps, warriors, but keep bring teammates into the game

Still WIP:

Consistency in decision making and execution, hopefully more tempo layers will help.

Composure at set shots. I get some players prefer to kick around corners, but ffs, take the allotted time

Concerning

Dow - Has shown some much better signs, but struggling to find the pill and seems to have lost his natural burst and aggression. Defensively average. If he stays in, let him hunt the pill, release the shackles

Flow from one unit/arc to another still seems like a clear divide, but it was better

Betts - Love him, put some nice blocks on, created space for others, but 4 turnovers/clangers from 4 touches is not acceptable. We have enough guys that offer as much if not more

Can't get a handle on who will come in, but I think Dow will come out

How about Casboult? 6 clangers from 9 touches. He had an aggressive intent at least but 3 games in now...

I get the feeling that Fog, will eventually take over from Ed Curnow

Loves a tackle, perhaps slightly better by foot and hand, but with a similar thirst for the contest
I really hope not.

Fog if he continues will be a good player in his own right. Develop someone like David Cuningham as the tagger if you have to, or Stocker; someone we're not already playing in the ones.

Strange I know, but 4 disposals for a small forward with that many entries isn't great, even though we looked for H so many times.

Understand Teague will likely give him one more week, as he may have needed the run to blowout the cobwebs

Seems like we are more focused on making finals this year, rather than developing an option/s for when we are a contender

Not arguing he was great, but we need to look beyond the stat sheet when assessing his impact. Especially if we're going to pick stats which are just flat out misleading.

Watching the game live at the ground he was a lot more involved than he was on the replay. Was pivotal quite a number of times in creating space and separation for Harry who probably doesn't have the impact he did without Eddie in the side.

That kind of impact will never show on a stat sheet but it's just as important.

Not suggesting Fog should or will be a tagger exclusively if he moves into the middle to replace Ed
Again, this is a mixture thing, how the coaches intend for us to look and how they see the value of tagging going forward. It'd be a method to get the best from Stocker; I personally can attest to the fact that while I wasn't quick, I was quickest when chasing someone with the ball. They weren't beating me, even if I had to chase them all the way to the back fifty. It'd use his mongrel in such a way as to improve his tank. And, if he gets the ball, his dual-sided kicking could be nothing but suuuuper useful, as would his burst.

Cuningham needs to be lead to the ball to be relevant; on the HFF, he ball-watches. He has the attributes to be an absolute gun, but for whatever reason he doesn't put it out there. Give him someone who can lead him to the ball, and tell him to get it first.

Jack is as much a midfielder as he is a defender. If the coaches want to blanket one of the beast mids, he's a better choice due to size, power and tenacity. He is unwilling to lose, and his kicking is some of the best in the team.

Fog is too useful as a high half forward/midfield rotation to relegate as a tagger. He's an offensive player with a defensive game; it would be a waste of him as a player to curtail his offensive instincts.

Essentially, if they view a tagger as stopping an opponent, Jack is probably the best bet. If they view it as getting someone involved who isn't getting enough ball, then Cuningham or Stocker. Fogarty can win his own ball, is fast enough to find separation and to choose a target, and has the best tackling technique in the team.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's already been posted here, but just the way that Betts talks makes me smile. You can tell he loves the club, and we all love him. So evident in the energy he provides and the reaction from the crowd when he kicked his goal on Sunday. :blueheart::blueheart:

Squeezed in a replay last night, and figured I'd draw some attention to one particular piece of play that pleased me no end.

Freo's final goal, kicked by Taberner. 40ish points up, with around 2 minutes left on the clock. Newnes, Parks, Weiters, SPS, Plowman and Curnow all throwing themselves around trying to prevent the goal. I'd normally expect our care factor at that point to be pretty low - no chance Freo comes back, would have been easy to just half-arse it and concede the score, but we had multiple defenders plus a couple of gut running mids doing everything they could to kill the ball.

We conceded the goal in the end, but the effort alone given the state of the game spoke volumes for the change in mindset from R2 to R3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not arguing he was great, but we need to look beyond the stat sheet when assessing his impact. Especially if we're going to pick stats which are just flat out misleading.

Watching the game live at the ground he was a lot more involved than he was on the replay. Was pivotal quite a number of times in creating space and separation for Harry who probably doesn't have the impact he did without Eddie in the side.

I mentioned the impact he had, but let's not be blinded to the fact that all our mid size forwards had greater impact

We talk about acceptable levels of output to remain in this side, whether it is kicks, goals or blocks, sheppard, tackles.

IMHO, that level of output was subpar

Plus the noise that piddly crowd made when he goaled can't have hurt our belief.

How about Casboult? 6 clangers from 9 touches. He had an aggressive intent at least but 3 games in now...

Continually brought the ball to ground though, thought he was better than the previous 2 weeks and almost clunked a few. Think he is working into form, slowly. Wont get dropped.

Again, this is a mixture thing, how the coaches intend for us to look and how they see the value of tagging going forward. It'd be a method to get the best from Stocker; I personally can attest to the fact that while I wasn't quick, I was quickest when chasing someone with the ball. They weren't beating me, even if I had to chase them all the way to the back fifty. It'd use his mongrel in such a way as to improve his tank. And, if he gets the ball, his dual-sided kicking could be nothing but suuuuper useful, as would his burst.

Cuningham needs to be lead to the ball to be relevant; on the HFF, he ball-watches. He has the attributes to be an absolute gun, but for whatever reason he doesn't put it out there. Give him someone who can lead him to the ball, and tell him to get it first.

Jack is as much a midfielder as he is a defender. If the coaches want to blanket one of the beast mids, he's a better choice due to size, power and tenacity. He is unwilling to lose, and his kicking is some of the best in the team.

Fog is too useful as a high half forward/midfield rotation to relegate as a tagger. He's an offensive player with a defensive game; it would be a waste of him as a player to curtail his offensive instincts.

Essentially, if they view a tagger as stopping an opponent, Jack is probably the best bet. If they view it as getting someone involved who isn't getting enough ball, then Cuningham or Stocker. Fogarty can win his own ball, is fast enough to find separation and to choose a target, and has the best tackling technique in the team.

I think taggers, run with and or negating players get pigeonholed to a certain type

Said for a while Cunners should do a run with role on the likes of Gaff type players

Stocker has massive xfactor, so when he is ready, I would let the opposition worry about him

Jack is perfect for the bigger types that aren't super quick, Fyfe

Fog can play a Steele type role, where he goes head to head, but still hurts you offensively

Great to get a win on the board, probably not a lot to take away from a win like that as the opposition were very poor but we did what we had to and we won comfortably. I thought our pressure and defensive structure was a lot better as was our kicking but then again we had opposition who weren't capable of exploiting our weaknesses.

Walsh - He dominated and it's nice to see his kicking has improved.

Cripps - He dominated as well not that he got the attention he often gets, he looked to be moving freely.

Docherty - He was good, he's not at his very best but he was reliable and he works hard.

Curnow - He was ok, did some good things, I'm still not convinced he's best 22 once a young player really puts their hand up but he had a good game and that's all you can ask.

Fogarty - He was excellent. I wasn't convinced during the preseason but he's grow on me, he's a very competent all round quality AFL player.

Gibbons - He's been great this season, his inside 50 kicking could have probably been a bit neater but I really liked his game, he links up well and runs hard to the right spots.

Newnes - He's been in good consistent form all season and he was again a solid performer. I like how he goes hard and his disposal has improved.

Plowman - Had a poor start to the season but had a really strong game. They probably lacked the cattle to exploit his weaknesses but a good game is a good game. Might make a difference if he's not the third tall defender back there.

Saad - I like Saad, he gets on the end of it and gives us some run however he does get a bit sloppy with his disposal at times but mostly it's good.

Jones - Probably leading the best and fairest, his game was pure dominance.

SPS - Another player who I believe has been under the pump to lift his game and his game was good. They probably didn't exploit his weaknesses or challenge him at all but he played well and he gave us some run.

Williams - I thought he was ok. Needs time in this role and a tad more fitness. IMO we need to rotate him more than we do, he's not a grind away all day onballer. An injury doesn't help but we still need to manage his time in the middle better.

Silvagni - Made a big difference, he just knows how to lead and he sets us up so well.

McKay - He was great at full forward however his goalkicking needs work. He was a good kick when he came but something has changed. IMO a lot of players who go through the yips lack a consistent swing in their kicking and perhaps he lacks that consistent classic left to right swing with his kick. Getting that right IMO will be key for him and to make that happen it's all about the follow through after the boot hits the ball and where the foot ends up at the end of the leg extension. Some players try and kick the ball too straight and IMO that's where he's at with his drop punt and why the banana kick works so well for him because a banana kick consistently swings through the air the same.

Pittonett - He's playing well, he's rucking ok and taking marks and doing some good stuff at ground level. Can't ask for much more.

Weitering - He's not playing badly but he's not playing to his best. IMO he's lacking a bit of aggression and playing a bit to robotically. I want to see him being rougher and develop a nasty streak. He's missing spoils he shouldn't and he's just not being as physically impactful as he can be. He's just a little off his game. Intimidation factor and some aggression lack in his game but if he gets that he'll be bloody good.

Cottrell - I liked his game and he kicked well which is where he struggled last season. He looks a better player than O'Brian at this stage, he certainly won more ball and he looks a lot more natural out on the wing than Setterfield. He's a good runner, he competes and he can certainly run, he might be ideal for where the game is at right now.

Murphy - Just an ok game from Murphy, he does some silky things and he runs hard and that's ok but I am not convinced we souldn't be developing a young forward in this role.

Parks - I liked parks and what he brought was a genuine third tall to the team which helped structurally a lot. He looks to have the quality for AFL footy but is a bit raw still. Got left trailing his man running back towards goal a few times but he'll get fitter and better here. I like him in the side, I think he's a promising young player and we need that third tall defender.

Dow - He's a long way down the pecking order as an inside midfielder and didn't have an impact when going forward. I just felt his intensity wasn't as high as some of his team mates. He needs to learn to get the ball more on the outside as well. Not a bad game but not overly impactful.

Casboult - There is no doubt he isn't playing well but he wasn't terrible like he has been. At least he was physical and played with effort this week. The problem is he is just too slow but also we need someone who can ruck.

Betts - He did some nice team things as did a lot of our players and kicked a nice goal but wasn't super involved. I liked his game and liked having him out there but again, should we be developing a small forward in his role? His leadership no doubt was beneficial.

Last edited:
A huge takeaway from the game was the method and execution of our F50 entries. There was a definite instruction to lower the eyes and wait for a lead and then pinpoint the pass. I don't think I've ever seen so many marks on a lead inside our forward 50.

I will now be a bit surprised if they don’t bring McGovern in. The game is now perfect for him. He is a hard lead at the ball type. He would also deliver it very well to McKay. Has been (when fit) good at chase down tackling too.
I agree with everything you just mentioned, i think talent wise he’s definitely in our B22...
but he’s known record for being bought back into the side quickly without the sufficient block of games his body needs to get him conditioned properly is the ongoing worry...

Back