Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
They were last season. Stuck with an injured Buddy and a 2 year 1.5 mill back-ended contract, and having to offload players. They put our incompetent Board to shame. Nobody predicted their rise and realistically they were pencilled in for a bottom 4 finish in 2021. How many times has Sydney bottomed out??? Won 2 premierships, played in another 2 losing Grand finals and numerous finals series in the past 20 years. Carlton has managed to win 5 wooden spoons, had numerous first-round draft picks, into the 6th year of a rebuild and our 7th coach in 20 years, and we are still no certainties to play finals in 2021. We endured turning over half a GWS team and gave GWS great first round picks as they offloaded all of their dead wood. Remember Kristian Jaksch? Gave up pick 9 for him. Still waiting to see if Stocker is going to do anything...Cost us a first round draft pick on the basis that he was a steal. Has he been in jail, because I have not seen or heard about him.

Excluding the expansion teams, we are behind Melbourne, St.Kilda and Fremantle as teams that have the longest period without winning a premiership.

You will excuse me if I say I have seen all of this before.
How dare I demand a reasonable standard of our Board and not just meekly accept the appalling situation that this once great club has found itself in. I am sick and tired of the apologists like you who go to great lengths to ignore everything that has occurred. If we do not make finals in 2021 (and we probably won't) the Board will sack Teague and probably appoint Ross Lyon, primarily because of his close association to the faceless cabal that pulls the strings. Now go away and confer with your faceless apologists.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the win Moody?

Harry kicked 7 and Cripps 2 from set shots.
I repeat Cripps kicked 2 from set shots. :)

How about our new debutant Parks. Did you like his game?

I am really impressed with Fog. :thumbsu:

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
A huge takeaway from the game was the method and execution of our F50 entries. There was a definite instruction to lower the eyes and wait for a lead and then pinpoint the pass. I don't think I've ever seen so many marks on a lead inside our forward 50.
Was awesome wasnt it 20 inside 50 marks second most for the round .
Players hitting up,waiting for options to open up .
Long may it live 👍

The Dochs in

Senior List
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We are a genuinely different side with JSOS in.

Fogarty adds a nimble dynamic to our midfield.

I honestly love SOS. He and Walsh have incredible core strength for not particularly big players and being able to stand up and give a handball can be invaluable in our style of game, just trying to get the ball going forward at all costs.

I’d be surprised if Gov came in after only playing half a game in a VFL practice match. The step up from a VFL practice match to a R4 AFL match will need time to get his match fitness up.

If Dow is dropped I’d expect Setterfield back in, given he wasn’t dropped but missed through illness (gastro).
I agree on McGoven. He needs at least 1 full game in the VFL before being brought back into the seniors. I'd push Levi back to the VFL while he fully recovers from his injury issues and bring in McDonald. He's got good hands, is quicker than you think, and is a good kick for goal... with the additional bonus of being able to Ruck.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I honestly love SOS. He and Walsh have incredible core strength for not particularly big players and being able to stand up and give a handball can be invaluable in our style of game, just trying to get the ball going forward at all costs.
Reckon JSOS was in my top-5 on Sunday.

Link up and pressure was exquisite; vital cog in the machine. Play his role and played it wonderfully.

Either won or halved the contest.

Should have had 3 goals to his name as well - on another day he will.

Love that stuff, club does it so well nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We've gone from being one of the worst clubs for social interaction with the fans to being one of the best.

Would also go a long way towards why we're sitting close to 80k members this year.

Reckon JSOS was in my top-5 on Sunday.

Link up and pressure was exquisite; vital cog in the machine. Play his role and played it wonderfully.

Either won or halved the contest.

Should have had 3 goals to his name as well - on another day he will.
His ability to out-think either single or multiple opponents is a massive asset as well. He might not be the quickest over the ground, but he doesn't give up the fight to get to the ball.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
He provides that all-important link up when we rebound, is always in the right spots. Not to mention he always wins or at least levels his 1v1's. His skills too.. mwa.

He has an aura of confidence about him now, looks like he finally knows he belongs out there. Whereas before I always thought he had a little bit of doubt in his eyes.

I was ******* furious when there were rumours of trading him last year, and even more furious when fans were ok with it as he was a 'battler'.

Easily the most criticized pick 70-something player in the history of the game, too.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
yes...who and where was the game played, no Fyfe and 47 tackles to 62.
cant see another win until round 7.
Look at the ratio of disposals/possession compared to tackles. It’s pretty much the same for both clubs that day.

Our tackles numbers were also up about 20% from the average of the previous two games, even though we had notably less opportunity to tackle because we had about 35-40% more of the football.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember back to 2018, when we had a huge injury list, still trying to build and develop continuity in a young playing group, Dockers spanked us in the first half and when we outscored scored them in the 2nd half, we still lost by 10 goals

Most of the criticism was even with the injuries we should of played better

3 years later, but this time with similar injuries to best 22, the tables were turned, taking into account that many here picked Freo and or suggesting they have gone past us, yet for some reason our win was uninspiring

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Can someone please explain why Dow is only attending 10% of centre bounces? I get that most mids due to interchange restrictions are resting forward more, but surely attending just 3 of 29 centre bounces is taking the piss?

What's the point of persisting with him and playing him over Stocker/Kennedy etc. if we're not going to chuck him in the guts where he belongs?

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Can someone please explain why Dow is only attending 10% of centre bounces? I get that most mids due to interchange restrictions are resting forward more, but surely attending just 3 of 29 centre bounces is taking the piss?

What's the point of persisting with him and playing him over Stocker/Kennedy etc. if we're not going to chuck him in the guts where he belongs?

He's done nothing when thrown in the first two rounds, and given the pressure for a win, not surprised we limited the rotations to exploit their young mids.

As to why we played him, possibly to see if he could impact in a different role, or more likely was plan B which obviously wasn't required.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I really hope not.

Fog if he continues will be a good player in his own right. Develop someone like David Cuningham as the tagger if you have to, or Stocker; someone we're not already playing in the ones.
11 tackles for Cunners on the weekend in a Smidge over 3 quarters. Others have called for him to tag. I think it would teach him a lot and get him involved on ball. The idea is really growing on me.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
His ability to out-think either single or multiple opponents is a massive asset as well. He might not be the quickest over the ground, but he doesn't give up the fight to get to the ball.
JSOS also showed some good jumper pulling technique on his opponent and fooled the ump into getting a free kick.

As one commentator joked, it was probably learnt from SOS and how he used to get the boys to bed at night....😄

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
11 tackles for Cunners on the weekend in a Smidge over 3 quarters. Others have called for him to tag. I think it would teach him a lot and get him involved on ball. The idea is really growing on me.
I've been saying it for a bit; telling him to keep it simple, get their ball first or bring them to ground without letting them get a legal disposal out. Over time his instincts will improve, purely by virtue of chasing the best around every week. Prime it in the VFL, promote him when he's starting to get his own ball against someone without a Dusty/Fyfe, but someone like Pendles or Sidebottom, a great on their way out.

He'd win a brownlow. There's precious few players with his attributes and skillset in the comp, and he'd be negating the opposition's best player. I don't see the bad there, I really don't.

Back