Preview Round 3 - Carlton Blues vs Sydney Swans

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I'm not upset that he's getting games. It's more the principle. And how he has gone straight in from round 1. Can use your logic to say we need game time for oriardan Dawson Thurlow melican stoddart fox etc. They're the players we need to be developing and assessing. Blakey can wait his turn just like they have. Stoddart even had a blinder in the twos. Its clear there's some butt sniffing going on with john and horse. The spot was always going to be his. Not a fan of it.

Give me a reason why they all can't play anyway? They should all be playing. It's defensive selection and it has been all year and all of last year basically. I'd have probably gone COR for Stoddart personally, with Thurlow coming in for someone else.

Give me a reason why they all can't play anyway? They should all be playing. It's defensive selection and it has been all year and all of last year basically. I'd have probably gone COR for Stoddart personally, with Thurlow coming in for someone else.
Its the total opposite. Our forward line is stacked, another one has come in with a defender going out. It should've been Blakey coming out for mccartin and melican for stoddart. Our defence is actually skimp.

Its the total opposite. Our forward line is stacked, another one has come in with a defender going out. It should've been Blakey coming out for mccartin and melican for stoddart. Our defence is actually skimp.

Honestly and I'll say this nicely but I'm over worrying about the defence. That isn't where the problem is arising, it's the midfield- too slow and poor disposals. Now it would help if Mills and Heeney played there but that is where the problems come from and we severely lack classy ball winners. It's a common theme. The defence can only do so much getting pounded by inside 50's especially off turnovers. Yes Melican should have gone and I have huge questions on him as more than a stop gap. It's disappointing Maibaum injured his knee as this was the opportunity he'd have. There are problems all over the field but we need to focus on the midfield first.

Look I'm not upset that he's getting games. It's more the principle. And how he has gone straight in from round 1. Can use your logic to say we need game time for oriardan Dawson Thurlow melican stoddart fox etc. They're the players we need to be developing and assessing. Blakey can wait his turn just like they have. Stoddart even had a blinder in the twos. Its clear there's some butt sniffing going on with john and horse. The spot was always going to be his. Not a fan of it.

He's a highly rated draft pick who has shown he is capable of good foot skills, which is what we are sorely lacking. Just like in 2017 we needed pace, so Florent got his opening. Last year we needed some aerial marking targets, so McCartin got his opening. He did it in the JLT games, and he has done it in each of the first few matches. As a HHF who can hit a target, the spot was there for the taking between Blakey and Dawson. Both were given their chance at a rd 1 berth, one showed some moments of composure and polish, the other looked panicked and sloppy. The former carried on in the 22, the other went to the NEAFL. As it so happens, Dawson's got another crack now and who knows, he might do enough for us to not need Blakey.

I personally don't have Blakey in my best 22, but look elsewhere around the competition and all other draftees are getting the exact same treatment as Blakey. I have no doubt that if the time comes where a call has to be made, Horse & co will do so on Blakey. I know if I was a father and my son was struggling, it would be better for his development to be running around in the reserves where he can find some form instead of looking lost at sea in the senior team.

He's a highly rated draft pick who has shown he is capable of good foot skills, which is what we are sorely lacking. Just like in 2017 we needed pace, so Florent got his opening. Last year we needed some aerial marking targets, so McCartin got his opening. He did it in the JLT games, and he has done it in each of the first few matches. As a HHF who can hit a target, the spot was there for the taking between Blakey and Dawson. Both were given their chance at a rd 1 berth, one showed some moments of composure and polish, the other looked panicked and sloppy. The former carried on in the 22, the other went to the NEAFL. As it so happens, Dawson's got another crack now and who knows, he might do enough for us to not need Blakey.

I personally don't have Blakey in my best 22, but look elsewhere around the competition and all other draftees are getting the exact same treatment as Blakey. I have no doubt that if the time comes where a call has to be made, Horse & co will do so on Blakey. I know if I was a father and my son was struggling, it would be better for his development to be running around in the reserves where he can find some form instead of looking lost at sea in the senior team.
So he got picked round 1 to hit targets inside 50? Really? Highly doubt it. Over players like ronke mccartin Thurlow Dawson Stoddart and oriardon who have had proven impact on games. A few of those players have come in and out yet Blakey still survived. Regardless of their jlt form, blakeys was far from great either, yet the 18 year old gets the nod..mccartin and Florent weren't walk up starts. Their selection was forced as they came in to fill specific positions in need, CHF and wing. Blakey doesn't fit any positional need what so ever that warranted selection, the positives in his game are only new discoveries, not pre empted calculations. He ain't Sam Walsh playing in a shite team racking up 25+ disposals.

The kid has a golden ticket at the end of the day. His spot was always there for round 1 and his future is already set. John would've been more than happy to push development of his son to the side for the pride of having him play. The twos are always there after the romance of him debuting. It's pure brown nosing if you ask me.

Last edited:
Honestly and I'll say this nicely but I'm over worrying about the defence. That isn't where the problem is arising, it's the midfield- too slow and poor disposals. Now it would help if Mills and Heeney played there but that is where the problems come from and we severely lack classy ball winners. It's a common theme. The defence can only do so much getting pounded by inside 50's especially off turnovers. Yes Melican should have gone and I have huge questions on him as more than a stop gap. It's disappointing Maibaum injured his knee as this was the opportunity he'd have. There are problems all over the field but we need to focus on the midfield first.
Selection ain't going to do anything to fix our midfield unfortunately until we're able to bring in a Kelly or Coniglio.

So he got picked round 1 to hit targets inside 50? Really? Highly doubt it. Over players like ronke mccartin Thurlow Dawson Stoddart and oriardon who have had proven impact on games. A few of those players have come in and out yet Blakey still survived. Regardless of their jlt form, blakeys was far from great either, yet the 18 year old gets the nod..mccartin and Florent weren't walk up starts. Their selection was forced as they came in to fill specific positions in need, CHF and wing. Blakey doesn't fit any positional need what so ever that warranted selection, the positives in his game are only new discoveries, not pre empted calculations. He ain't Sam Walsh playing in a shite team racking up 25+ disposals.

The kid has a golden ticket at the end of the day. His spot was always there for round 1 and his future is already set. John would've been more than happy to push development of his son to the side for the pride of having him play. The twos are always there after the romance of him debuting. It's pure brown nosing if you ask me.

Well I have to disagree. You rattle off a bunch of names as being hard done by, yet none impressed as much as Blakey in the pre-season and the one that did (Dawson) couldn’t carry it over into the H&A season. The only other name is McCartin, who played two NEAFL games (only one of which he was named in the best) and comes straight back into the team, despite a forward line that also has Buddy, Reid and Blakey. Dawson comes back in after only one reserves game too. Ronke also only needed one reserves game to get back into the team and has still kept his spot despite another average showing upon his return. So this idea that Blakey is the only one getting a fairly easy go at senior footy is a myth.

Look around our best 22 and you’ll find quite a few blokes who wouldn’t and shouldn’t be getting games if we were a more competitive team. But right now we’re not. The entire list seems to have been infected with a form crisis. Not many doors are being banged down atm so all we can do is back the youngsters who have shown plenty of promise and who we know can play, regardless of whether they should or shouldn’t be playing.

Both melican and allir are 2nd defenders. We need to find someone who can defeat the likes of tex and Hawkins

Both melican and allir are 2nd defenders. We need to find someone who can defeat the likes of tex and Hawkins
Hence .
Horse and Co don't think Carlton have a Tex or Hawkins.

I also think AA has the potential to be a key defender. He played as one the first two weeks as one.

We need to make a call on COR.

If he is going to be our Shaw replacement, charging out of defence with wild eyes and a take no prisoners attitude we have got to let him make a few mistakes without getting dropped.
We have two years IMO to make that call.

Let him develop a bit more

Well I have to disagree. You rattle off a bunch of names as being hard done by, yet none impressed as much as Blakey in the pre-season and the one that did (Dawson) couldn’t carry it over into the H&A season. The only other name is McCartin, who played two NEAFL games (only one of which he was named in the best) and comes straight back into the team, despite a forward line that also has Buddy, Reid and Blakey. Dawson comes back in after only one reserves game too. Ronke also only needed one reserves game to get back into the team and has still kept his spot despite another average showing upon his return. So this idea that Blakey is the only one getting a fairly easy go at senior footy is a myth.

Look around our best 22 and you’ll find quite a few blokes who wouldn’t and shouldn’t be getting games if we were a more competitive team. But right now we’re not. The entire list seems to have been infected with a form crisis. Not many doors are being banged down atm so all we can do is back the youngsters who have shown plenty of promise and who we know can play, regardless of whether they should or shouldn’t be playing.
if you want to go off form we'd be forfeiting because there wouldn't be a team on the park. So it's funny how some out of form players are getting selected over others, along with players getting picked with no pre season at all. Jlt means nothing in the scheme of things (or only does for select few players it seems), and form needs to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes, it's ok to have a couple of average games. Ronke and mccartin not getting a game ahead of blakey is a farce. Stoddart not coming in this week is a farce and goes totally against your form myth, he should've been in for melican leaving blakey the only one making sense to come out for mccartin. There are favourites at every club. The better more experienced players should be starting round 1 and be dropped on bad form from there, not the other way around.

if you want to go off form we'd be forfeiting because there wouldn't be a team on the park. So it's funny how some out of form players are getting selected over others, along with players getting picked with no pre season at all. Jlt means nothing in the scheme of things (or only does for select few players it seems), and form needs to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes, it's ok to have a couple of average games. Ronke and mccartin not getting a game ahead of blakey is a farce. Stoddart not coming in this week is a farce and goes totally against your form myth, he should've been in for melican leaving blakey the only one making sense to come out for mccartin. There are favourites at every club. The better more experienced players should be starting round 1 and be dropped on bad form from there, not the other way around.
Sure there are favoured players.
There are also players that train harder.
Offer more tactically.
Fit into the brand of football the side wants to play
Are selected to play against the team -that week.

The makeup of a team is a jigsaw puzzle of tactics and match-ups.
So is the roles the players should be playing

I have not had one issue with the selections this season.

There are so many things, we as mug punters don't see.

IMO the playing group hasn't played to their potential
Dogs group played to the upmost of their potential
Crows . I'm not even sure what their potential is...they look meh.

Bottom line. The players selected have been the right players. Yet they haven't gelled and offered a consistent effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure there are favoured players.
There are also players that train harder.
Offer more tactically.
Fit into the brand of football the side wants to play
Are selected to play against the team -that week.

The makeup of a team is a jigsaw puzzle of tactics and match-ups.
So is the roles the players should be playing

I have not had one issue with the selections this season.

There are so many things, we as mug punters don't see.

IMO the playing group hasn't played to their potential
Dogs group played to the upmost of their potential
Crows . I'm not even sure what their potential is...they look meh.

Bottom line. The players selected have been the right players. Yet they haven't gelled and offered a consistent effort.
Your assesment is completely correct. I just don't see the logic behind putting blakey in ahead of a few others. Until he plays in the 2's against men its going to be unclear what he can produce. Yes it is a calculated jigsaw puzzle, but Blakey's round 1 selection was a complete blind stab in the dark and goes against that. Overall other than the ronke and stoddart omissions, i've been happy aswell. Just pointing out the brown nosing i feel is going on. We're not really pointing it out or being hard on Blakey because there's a romance about it from a supporter perspective aswell. Doesn't matter if he's out of depth everyone wants to see him play, so he's flying under the radar as a result.

Btw he's not doing anything wrong at all, its that other players will offer a lot more at this point.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like you are going in with a very, very short defence.

Do you have any key tall defenders outside Aliir and Rampe (who isn't actually that tall).
We have McKay, Casboult and McGovern...with McKay and Casboult both being around 200cm. I reckon we'll try to exploit this by getting it long and high to them quickly.

If they don't mark it though I can see Sydney rebounding out of D50 with ease with all your smaller fleet footed players.
No need to correct, you’re not wrong but we also have Sam Reid who imo will go down back if that scenario does occur. Don’t forget, we have a tall forward line too!

You also have a tall midfield...Cripps is so ******* tall!

Selection ain't going to do anything to fix our midfield unfortunately until we're able to bring in a Kelly or Coniglio.

Play Mills and Heeney in the middle for starters

It’s a professional sporting club, Blakey will not be getting any favours. If he struggles, it will be back to the 2’s for him!

It’s a professional sporting club, Blakey will not be getting any favours. If he struggles, it will be back to the 2’s for him!

Horse making hard calls, that’s optimistic.

However with the mid season break it’s easier for young players to get through a year. They get a break

blakey will play most of the year, he is selling the fans hope and excitement

its like buddy would need to be in a wheelchair to not play, or at least be named, he draws a crowd

Heeneys ankle won't allow that...not for serious time.
Mills will be needed down back. Considering reg and melican ain't there.

We’ve just brought Thurlow in jeez! Play Mills in the middle. If Heeney is injured don’t play him. Not that hard

Thurlow has come in for someone else, Melican. I don't think Tom has come in for Melican. He hasn't trained with the defensive group. If he has come in for Melican this could be dangerous. I thought he played forward in the Neafl trial.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

According to most of the experts AA is seen as one of the best defenders in the comp. I agree. He is not a second defender and last week proved that. Not only did he keep his man quiet, no matter if it were Tex or Jenkins, but he was sensational. It wasn't his fault we lost.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

The heeney forward because he has a sore ankle is a pathetic excuse from a coach getting desperate. Get smashed in packs and jump six feet in the air but don’t contest the ball in the middle of the ground or your leg will fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back