Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz had 4 clangers, one tackle and 10 disposals - and was not tagging anyone...
Frederick 6 disposals 3 tackles, not tagging, 2 clangers
Walters 8 tackles, a lucky goal, 3 clangers
Colyer 4 clangers, 12 disposals playing more midfield.

Yes he had a bad game, but isolating him is what is shite. He is no Robinson Crusoe, so singling him out is pathetic IMO.
So, banfield had 2 effective disposals as a half forward. (He wasn’t tagging, and if he was, did a shot job) - should have been dropped.
Schultz had 6 effective disposals as a small forward, including a very clever goal assist that wouldn’t have a possession credited for it, when the ball was moved so slowly in there that there was no space. - he gets a pass but needs to improve
Frederick had 4 effective disposals, so twice as effective as banfield. He should have been dropped, and he has been criticised.
Walters 5 effective disposals. Has been roundly criticised and called to be dropped. However the coaching staff are showing him faith, and we need some experience out there.
Colyer 8 effective disposals 2 goals and again brings experience in a side sorely lacking it. Plus who replaces him?

I’m not questioning the criticism of the other players, I’m questioning the defending of banfield.
At his very best is likely to be 10 possession 1 goal player. There is the very real chance that who we replace him with will be that at their worst.

Schultz had 4 clangers, one tackle and 10 disposals - and was not tagging anyone...
Walters 8 disposals, 2 tackles, a lucky goal, 3 clangers - not tagging
Colyer 4 clangers, 12 disposals playing more midfield - not tagging

Yes he had a bad game, but isolating him is what is shite. He is no Robinson Crusoe, so singling him out is pathetic IMO.
I think most people are complaining about a lot of players, most aren’t even happy with 5 changes. Not every post is going to go into detail about every single player though

What would you say his limitations are and what role could he play?
The same role I've been yammering on about. The half forward who runs all the way to the back pocket to offer a marking option and then uses his kick to make sure the next mark is taken too, preferably in the corridor.

It sucks. He will cover wing level territory all so we can have a loose man back of centre.

He isn't burst quick, he isn't agile. He is clean with the ball and uses it well but can't make space in short notice, he will need to work the grinding run.

So, banfield had 2 effective disposals as a half forward. (He wasn’t tagging, and if he was, did a shot job) - should have been dropped.
Schultz had 6 effective disposals as a small forward, including a very clever goal assist that wouldn’t have a possession credited for it, when the ball was moved so slowly in there that there was no space. - he gets a pass but needs to improve
Frederick had 4 effective disposals, so twice as effective as banfield. He should have been dropped, and he has been criticised.
Walters 5 effective disposals. Has been roundly criticised and called to be dropped. However the coaching staff are showing him faith, and we need some experience out there.
Colyer 8 effective disposals 2 goals and again brings experience in a side sorely lacking it. Plus who replaces him?

I’m not questioning the criticism of the other players, I’m questioning the defending of banfield.
At his very best is likely to be 10 possession 1 goal player. There is the very real chance that who we replace him with will be that at their worst.

I edited my post late, to clarify a few things, one particularly that Schultz is a lock player - love him, and he does a lot. I was not so much defending Banfield. I was just seeing a theme with memes and everything targeting this one player when I thought there should be more in the firing line. I get it, I like the humor. Admittedly, I do not get the time to jump on here much anymore, and I was intrigued by this game coming up, because we simply need to win it. There is no loss, it is not an option. We were dismal against the Saints. I apologize if my post was a bit defensive in a poor me sense to defend the little guy, but I thought reading through the thread there was little bashing on other players.

I understand now, that it was just a call that one player was a definite out. I get it, and I agree. I will jump off my horse and eat some humble pie, and hopefully the team selected gets it done! I just want this win so bad, and want a good vibe going into it. I want Walters to do something hard without flicking his head back every time he gets touched or even worse, expects contact.

Thanks for the chat all, keep it real!

In that situation probably Acres would be back up ruck given he has done it.
I think Cox would be the most likely to backup ruck in that situation. Ryan can play taller than he is and should be able to go with Darling. Chapman could also play on Darling if needed.

Our list is unbalanced. It JL wants all of his talented players in the team, he is going to have to start grooming them into their future positions from the outset. Preferred positions isn't going to cut it. Normally, I like the idea but with the list the way it is, we don't have that luxury

Acres was shite 5 years ago and he’s even more s**t today so we should keep playing him forever too?
Watching him playing cheap one two handballs last week to pump up his stats around the middle before hoofing the ball aimlessly inside 50 is just about as demoralising as it gets for a freo fan.
You will know we are a genuine finals side this year if acres/Banfield/Colyer are permanently down at Peel.
If they play most games - bottom 4 or bottom 6 here we come.
Never said I was a fan of Acres either.

Let’s look at it realistically though. Walters is 31. He’s not going to suddenly get better. In fact the opposite is extremely likely. Think it’s time we faced that.

Acres is 26. He’s got a bit more time. But yeah maybe he should go get better in the WAFL.

But you can’t say let’s drop Acres because he’s not getting any better, and then say let’s play Walters and hope he does. He won’t.

OT - our 2003 team had a forward line rolling of
Koops Pavlich Medhurst
Farmer Longmuir Waterhouse

And plenty on here were saying back in this preseason (2 weeks ago) that this current squad was our best ever etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure how you can claim that when he hasn't played there for a long time.
He's lost his acceleration, he can't change direction without slipping over, and I haven't seen him lay a successful tackle in about two seasons. The further he is away from the centre square the better.

OT - our 2003 team had a forward line rolling of
Koops Pavlich Medhurst
Farmer Longmuir Waterhouse

And plenty on here were saying back in this preseason (2 weeks ago) that this current squad was our best ever etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn. You’d kill for that now.
Ah the days when we had actual forwards whose job was to kick goals not tag oppo running backs or create forward pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you ever see Nic Nat in the ruck against the Irish where as soon as the ball went up Travis Boak would run off on the 45 forward and Nic Nat would palm it straight to him, free run and kick inside fifty?

That. But with stoppage clearances won by the other mids to Walters

What’s flown under the radar a bit is how weak the eagles are.
They are actually almost of a similar level of depletion to last week.
Literally half their team is out, including some top top players.
Yes we are missing 3 or 4 quality players ourselves but we were able to play about ten lads at peel yesterday. They could only play Luke strnardica in their WAFL side yesterday and lost by 100 points.
We should be beating these guys by 50 points if we are serious. There should be no mercy.

What’s flown under the radar a bit is how weak the eagles are.
They are actually almost of a similar level of depletion to last week.
Literally half their team is out, including some top top players.
Yes we are missing 3 or 4 quality players ourselves but we were able to play about ten lads at peel yesterday. They could only play Luke strnardica in their WAFL side yesterday and lost by 100 points.
We should be beating these guys by 50 points if we are serious. There should be no mercy.
They have 7 players with 150+ games playing. We have just 1. They are a year and a half older on average and close to double our experience. They are missing a handful of the top end of their best 22 but so are we. The vast majority of their players unavailable aren't best 22 anyway. We don't have a lot of non best 22 players unavailable... That's the main difference between the two clubs atm. Would love to smash them but just winning is good enough for me.

They have 7 players with 150+ games playing. We have just 1. They are a year and a half older on average and close to double our experience. They are missing a handful of the top end of their best 22 but so are we. The vast majority of their players unavailable aren't best 22 anyway. We don't have a lot of non best 22 players unavailable... That's the main difference between the two clubs atm. Would love to smash them but just winning is good enough for me.
I’m not so sure about that - They are missing Kelly, Shuey, Sheed, Yeo, Barrass, Oscar Allen, Duggan, Rioli, Cripps, Cole.
Ten of their B22, we are missing Fyfe, Mundy, Serong & Darcy, yes that’s a big chunk of our first choice midfield but the 22 we have named on paper should still be winning this game.
The bottom 6 or so eagles named today are pretty weak, even compared to us.
One guy we need to watch is Jamaine Jones, he tore us a new one last year in the first derby and has been a decent pickup by them for half nothing.
Freo should be hurting after last weeks performance and the pretty sharp criticism this week from the fans and media, and want to set the record straight.

Walters 8 disposals, 2 tackles, a lucky goal, 3 clangers - not tagging
Colyer 4 clangers, 12 disposals playing more midfield - not tagging

Schultz does not deserve to be on this list as he is a true work horse. Colyer has some points because he had a great 2021. Am I surprised that Banfield gets a game at times - yes. But sometimes, I am surprised that we keep doing the same dumb crap over and over. I think more players deserve equal bashing for what went on last week. It was horrible, and not what I expected from our developing team, and I look more up the list than at a forward line tagger for answers. Should he get a game, no, but we need to be serious on our whole list, and I suspect all the stats would look better if our midfield performed (Brayshaw ommitted from this).
All players have bad games. The problem with the Banners is that he’s never had a really good one.

I think you're picking single stats to suit. Like me saying Banfield laid a tackle like I've never seen Freddie stick.. like ever.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are people trying to defend the indefensible. Banfield deserved to be dropped more than any other player in the history of players.

Logue is interesting. Even if just for the fact that he matches up on Ryan nicely.

Soo..

Cox - Kennedy
Pearce - Darling
Ryan - Ryan

?

Was originally thinking Pearce to Kennedy but I think Darling is too athletic and Agile for Cox?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back