Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 63-49 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Daicos is just a star . Doesn’t get anywhere near the plaudits he deserves. Last night 14 contested possessions, 7 clearances , again over 500 metres gained. Generally he’s seen as more an outside player, but last night in difficult conditions he was immense.

Another thing I noticed is that when we get penalised holding the ball, we don’t try and get rid off the ball. We hold the ball in.

Once you notice it, you can’t stop. Obviously to slow the play.
It was really obvious with Jordys one last night

Josh Daicos is just a star . Doesn’t get anywhere near the plaudits he deserves. Last night 14 contested possessions, 7 clearances , again over 500 metres gained. Generally he’s seen as more an outside player, but last night in difficult conditions he was immense.
Last night he spent a fair bit of time in Pendles' back of the pack role.

McStay got some good touches in the last qrt, but was absolutely obliterated in the taps, he might as well not even have been there. We just did a good job roving to Nankervis, but I don't particularly like McStay against any competent tap ruckmen. Brisbane have their issues, but they have a way more talented group of mids to contend with than Richmond.

Yeah he did, but he also pushed forward and kicked a critical goal. If he plays ruck, he'll get smashed in hit outs. However, he can have a big impact around the ground.

Another thing I noticed is that when we get penalised holding the ball, we don’t try and get rid off the ball. We hold the ball in.

Once you notice it, you can’t stop. Obviously to slow the play.

Absolutely. We are definitely committing professional free kicks / out of bounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, it's footy, not a game of marbles. Good on Nicko for getting into Rioli. I didn't even realise Rioli was playing until that point.
Gee, I wouldn’t have known the difference had you not pointed it out. Way to miss the point completely. Bet you wouldn’t have been praising him if Nick doing that had caused the free to be overturned and led to a goal 👍🏻

Good result.
Never good to get injuries, but at the same time, it may be a blessing to get them early rather than round 18....

Good teams will always find a way (i.e. cats missing stewart for 4 weeks last year and still got it done).
Big test for what we do as structure is king for us.

Some observations.

- Frampton....big tick. Heard on the radio earlier he has halved/won 5 out of 6 1v1 this year. Cannot ask any more than that. No one wins them all. But he is more than serviceable to date.
-Moore looked like he was taken to row F in the first half so he couldn't help Frampton. Which makes my view of his game even better. But our desire to make sure its not a 1v1 is the best part of our defense.

- quick read of Tigers /main boards and i'm bemused at why people comment on other teams players without actually understanding the game or the other teams gameplan...there was roundly disappointment in Nick....um, 33 disposals in the wet going at 87% with 300m gained. And i think most on here thought he had a 'standard' (or even below standard) game.
He's predominately outside at the moment (he'll make a contest when needed, but that's not what he's being asked to do).
He's the best kick /decision maker in the team and just hardly makes a mistake. Just like 2017-2020 tigers gameplan largely revolved around "give it to dusty" (which is absolutely fair enough btw).....why would anyone be surprised we want it in Nicks hands as much as possible, so the team plays accordingly to make sure he's free (same as Dusty!)
Haters going to hate i guess?

- The way we take kickouts make me laugh at what other teams do. Nick (usually) takes off, hits a target, gets it back (because he's basically going to be the only free player on the ground at this point), then either hits the next target or kicks to the wing.....120m+ gained with no risk and defense is no longer under pressure from any stoppage....Did this all last year as well. So my question is this, why isn't everyone doing this?
It's pretty funny to watch other teams bomb it from FB to about 70 and hope for a contest. Its one of the only times you can set up and do what you want.
i'll take that style of play every day of the week.

- best part of the night was that we responded when challenged in the third. In all three games we've be slow at the start of the third. Noticed it live last week that we don't go fast for the first few mins. Conserving energy? will be a watch for me in the next few weeks as its not a great trend.

- Can we sustain it? Our GPS numbers have us running less kms than tigers last night & cats in first round. Our sprint efforts were higher. Hence, apart from players form and injury, i don't really understand the 'can't sustain it' line....feel its just coming from a position of hope?
Our mids play 60-70% game time and we have depth.
Just keep banking wins and worry about what we do...let others fret about whether we slow down.

- WHE.....not a fan, never have been....but i understand why he plays and what he brings to the structure. But i think that's enough. I'd prefer get games into younger players early in the season at a slight detriment to structure and load rather than what he brings to this team currently.

- Sidey....just so clean when everyone fumbled early. unbelievable hands in those conditions. Always been 2 steps ahead of everyone around him in game sense. Last night was a perfect example of it.

- Adams...first time this year we've seen his decision making woes with ball in hand. WTF are you doing, with your back to goal on 50 and Jordy streaming (on the right side), not giving that handball? Then later on, bomb it long instead of hitting up Elliot short....was another as well, but can't remember off the top of my head. Plenty of vision for him to watch....maybe getting ahead of himself as a fwd? Would like him to just get back to basics and be the team player he was in rounds 1-2 and take the easy option.

Really excited to see how we go over the next few weeks as our structure is now likely to be compromised.
Will give a good idea on where we actually sit when key personal are missing.

If Nick Daicos is a seagull who causes no damage, I guess the opposition coaches should just leave him alone then and worry instead about our good players!

Long may opposition fans underrate him and talk him down. We know it’s just jealousy. Sadly the opposition coaches aren’t as dumb as their supporters.

If Nick Daicos is a seagull who causes no damage, I guess the opposition coaches should just leave him alone then and worry instead about our good players!

Long may opposition fans underrate him and talk him down. We know it’s just jealousy. Sadly the opposition coaches aren’t as dumb as their supporters.
There’s no need to put him inside when we are already putting up huge contested possession numbers anyways

Mate at this stage of his career….he’s an absolute seagull!!!
Let’s not pretend he’s not.

But his damage is legit in the top 3 AFL wide….so let him do what he’s best at.
Running and kicking!!!

Edit: don’t blame Nick…blame the coaches for identifying this and playing him to his strengths!! Hardly a knock on him btw.

Mate at this stage of his career….he’s an absolute seagull!!!
Let’s not pretend he’s not.

But his damage is legit in the top 3 AFL wide….so let him do what he’s best at.
Running and kicking!!!

Edit: don’t blame Nick…blame the coaches for identifying this and playing him to his strengths!! Hardly a knock on him btw.

You do realise there's always been outside players right. You can't have every player going in for the ball because then you'd have no one to feed the ball out to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back