Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I don’t see this “ aging stars” story like others. Maybe I’m naive but I really think Sidey and Howe have plenty of years left. Pendles is the only one genuinely in that bracket and he’s showing no signs of needing to retire.

The others who are 30ish are foot soldiers who are easily replaced.

Maybe, maybe not, but then you need to look at the opposition teams who are far better placed in the age demographic as per your table from the afl website.

In any case list or not, our structure and game needs working on - and in a hurry. Right now we're still the slowest team, sure we've improved on the how but that's a lot to do with the stand rule - speedier teams will benefit from it more than what we will.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn... Kingy and Dicko just slayed a few of our players on ‘First Crack’ for their lazy efforts during the last play of the game on Thursday.

Unsurprisingly Thomas and WHE were the principal culprits.

I don’t see this “ aging stars” story like others. Maybe I’m naive but I really think Sidey and Howe have plenty of years left. Pendles is the only one genuinely in that bracket and he’s showing no signs of needing to retire.

The others who are 30ish are foot soldiers who are easily replaced.

I'd like us to have at least one midfielder who I'm confident will be up to the centre square in 3 years time. I'm not confident that Adams will be a player with longevity. Sidey and Pendles should already have limited rotations through there imo. To me, we really need Hine to have hits with a couple of the young mids on our list - or guys like T Brown, Sier or Daicos to breakout big time, because we're bloody light on in there already.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn... Kingy and Dicko just slayed a few of our players on ‘First Crack’ for their lazy efforts during the last play of the game on Thursday.

I have no problem with Public humiliation exposing lazy efforts, its often a wake up call for these guys.

Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood

As bad as those 2 were I think JDG was probably the laziest in that last 50sec. Have a look at how long the ball bobbles around in their defensive area while Degoey runs around like a headless chook. He had a couple of chances to apply pressure/tackles but did sweet F all.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The issue is that of all the under 25s on our list, Maynard, Daicos and probably Noble are the only ones that you can be confident will play 100 games - and they're all flankers. We've got noone under 25 who you can be confident will play a core role. Our core is an aging core and our under 25s are very speculative.

If you make it 25 and under you can include Moore and De Goey. Make it 26 you have Grundy. I'm also confident in Quaynor, Macrae and Nick Daicos. There is a core there. Still you'd hope we'd have more.

It highlights one of the biggest problems from our off season, and even the one before it. You add Stephenson, Phillips, Aish, and even Langdon in and it looks more solid. We traded out or got rotten unlucky with much of that age group we're discussing.

I still think there's a reckoning there for Ned Guy. Two years to fix it. Brought in to fix it. We could see it coming and look at the result.

If you make it 25 and under you can include Moore and De Goey. Make it 26 you have Grundy. I'm also confident in Quaynor, Macrae and Nick Daicos. There is a core there. Still you'd hope we'd have more.

It highlights one of the biggest problems from our off season, and even the one before it. You add Stephenson, Phillips, Aish, and even Langdon in and it looks more solid. We traded out or got rotten unlucky with much of that age group we're discussing.

I still think there's a reckoning there for Ned Guy. Two years to fix it. Brought in to fix it. We could see it coming and look at the result.
Dekka also didn't have enough hits from 2012-2018. I think that's the real reason for a hole in our list - yes we traded out some picks, but we also got in good ones for Thomas and Beams and middling ones for Wellingham and Dawes (albeit in a crap draft).

We definitely have a huge hole in our midfield.

Pendles, Sidebottom over 30.

Adams 28.

Our next bracket is 18-22, we have zero 24-26 coming up.
I think we have to trade in one over the next two years- and an inside player - not someone like Merrett. Unless Sier, JDG or T Brown suddenly become quality mids - I'm not confident about any of them in the midfield though. I think the expectation was that Degoey and Stepho would become mids. JDG lacks the smarts IMO.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I’m growing increasingly frustrated with the use of JDG. People bang on about him being our best forward and I don’t see it. He too often gets stuck in wrestling matches and with congestion will struggle to get one out. That means he needs it coming in well on the lead which is a challenge for our midfield. Ultimately all I see is a guy that is splitting his time between mid and forward then doing neither at a consistently good standard.

I think that comes down to club realising we need more quality in the midfield but also not wanting to give up what he offers up forward so they’ve done their best effort to sit on the fence and be conservative.

All I see is a player with really good instincts but poor footy IQ. I think full forward suits that the best as all he has to do is beat his man, win the ball and kick a goal. Ask him to do anything else and he has nfi. Conversely though he probably hasn’t had much of a chance to develop any iq up the field since he’s spent the majority of his time up forward and any time he’s been trialled through the middle he’s been put back up forward rather quickly where all he had to was just play off instinct so I’m willing to give him a chance through the middle since he has all the right physical attributes and ball winning instincts.

Last edited:
I think that comes down to club realising we need more quality in the midfield but also not wanting to give up what he offers up forward so they’ve done their best effort to sit on the fence and be conservative.

All I see is a player with really good instincts but poor footy IQ. I think full forward suits that the best as all he has to do is beat his man, win the ball and kick a goal. Ask him to do anything else and he has nfi. Conversely though he probably hasn’t had much of a chance to develop any iq up the field since he’s spent the majority of his time up forward and any time he’s been trialled through the middle he’s been put back up forward rather quickly where all he had to was just play off instinct so I’m willing to give him a chance through the middle since he has all the right physical attributes and ball winning instincts.

Doesn't have the awareness or instincts. Have you ever seen JDG free his arms, take the tackle and dish it off to a teammate. It's break into the clear or get caught with the ball - they're the only things that happen when JDG gets his hands on it in congestion. I think it would be much easier to teach him as a forward to hit at the footy and stop trying to body and turn his man in every single contest. I think that's all he needs to do to become a star forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore of the Same

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Leeds United
I’m growing increasingly frustrated with the use of JDG. People bang on about him being our best forward and I don’t see it. He too often gets stuck in wrestling matches and with congestion will struggle to get one out. That means he needs it coming in well on the lead which is a challenge for our midfield. Ultimately all I see is a guy that is splitting his time between mid and forward then doing neither at a consistently good standard.

JDH is absolutely our best forward. But you're right, delivery and ball movement is the key to unlocking that. Look at the Carlton game. Fast ball movement with lowered eyes led to DeGoey and Elliott having a field day with the Blues defense. Against the Dogs and Lions, ball movement was slow and lateral and we got nothing out of our forward line.

DeGoey gives me serious Fevola vibes and could be a monster leading out of the square.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
We definitely have a huge hole in our midfield.

Pendles, Sidebottom over 30.

Adams 28.

Our next bracket is 18-22, we have zero 24-26 coming up.
Can add Forwards to that. Especially KPF. It’s nothing short of incompetence at the highest level the state of our list profile.

Toecrusher

All Australian
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd like us to have at least one midfielder who I'm confident will be up to the centre square in 3 years time. I'm not confident that Adams will be a player with longevity. Sidey and Pendles should already have limited rotations through there imo. To me, we really need Hine to have hits with a couple of the young mids on our list - or guys like T Brown, Sier or Daicos to breakout big time, because we're bloody light on in there already.
Ahh, if only the clubs plans for Beams worked out Lol.
It just shows how far off the mark our recruiters were signing Beams to 4 years.

Ahh, if only the clubs plans for Beams worked out Lol.
It just shows how far off the mark our recruiters were signing Beams to 4 years.
For all the talk of Hine just drafting mids, this is the first year that he's actually drafted mids. In the past he's just drafted flankers - with "midfield potential". You've got to go back to Pendles and Beams for a Hine draftee who was a genuine mid in the juniors. Callum Brown the only other exception and due to size he was a junior mid with flanker potential in the AFL.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
For all the talk of Hine just drafting mids, this is the first year that he's actually drafted mids. In the past he's just drafted flankers - with "midfield potential". You've got to go back to Pendles and Beams for a Hine draftee who was a genuine mid in the juniors. Callum Brown the only other exception and due to size he was a junior mid with flanker potential in the AFL.
Honestly this years crop looks like flankers with midfield potential to me.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I'm looking at where they played as juniors. Didn't Macrae, Reef and Poulter play mid in juniors? Or were they just set to and talked up as being mids in their final year before covid hit?
I think Reed was talked up being a mid in his final year, Poulter was a mid and I’m unsure Macrae but he looks more like a wingman that could convert inside than a full mid to me. Draft and vfl watchers feel free to correct me.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
WHE and JT have to go for mine. While some will argue JT was better on the weekend the fact remains that as small forward his last ten games have seen him kick 4 goals, average 10 disposals and lay less than 2 tackles a game. In my eyes I don't think there is anyway a mix of Ruscoe/Henry/Macrae/McCreery can be any worse than that, and even if they were - the output WHE/JT would give us wouldn't cover the benefit of getting some experience into these kids.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
WHE and JT have to go for mine. While some will argue JT was better on the weekend the fact remains that as small forward his last ten games have seen him kick 4 goals, average 10 disposals and lay less than 2 tackles a game. In my eyes I don't think there is anyway a mix of Ruscoe/Henry/Macrae/McCreery can be any worse than that, and even if they were - the output WHE/JT would give us wouldn't cover the benefit of getting some experience into these kids.
Macrae isn’t a small forward, Henry and Ruscoe had there chance and were worse than Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back