Review Round 3 = Collingwood 72-73 Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t make up the stats sport - we are ranked 12th on age.
As per above, go and look at Geel who are flag contenders. 9 of their best 22 are over 30 this season

And I just did your analysis for BNE they have 11 players 27 or older according to Footywire.
We've got a heap of speculative kids who may never make the team, so our list has a low average, but our team is an aging team.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've got a heap of speculative kids who may never make the team, so our list has a low average, but our team is an aging team.
We’ve gambled big. If our 2020 draft is a bust, we are in the wilderness for awhile. I just pray we don’t keep throwing away first rounders..

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
we’re a bottom 6 side according to most - and almost beat a flag contender- are you seriously saying a few extra nights in a strange bed is a substantial disadvantage? Or missing a Ruckman for that matter.

Not IMO

We should not have gone into the game as favourites.. according to your logic.

And according to your logic had we played like we did against carlton.. v the dogs.. because we only lost by 16.. we would have beaten them.

Everything makes so much more sense now.

You're a great re.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
IMO losing to a flag contender (only missing a Ruckman) is not an unanticipated loss, and nothing to be deflated about - unless you have higher aspirations than a bottom half finish.

We went in as favourites.. yeah but but we played a top 4 side.. they were missing their 2 top ruckmen.. yeah but yeah but we were playing q top 4 side.. the rona ****ed em.. yeah but yeah but advanced hair yeah yeah we played a top 4 side..

Did you actually look at the game unfold or not? No? Why? Cause we played a top 4 side according to you. Neal gets hit by lightning.. but yeah yeah but yeah nah yeah.. we played a top 4 side?

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

You need to do some comparisons to justify this.
Eg

Here are the stats - I don’t see huge issues compared to many club especially 28+

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eg

Here are the stats - I don’t see huge issues compared to many club especially 28+

The issue lies at the spread of players over 30 for us. We are second behind geel. That’s an issue for us.

problem for our list profile, is by the time the kids come on in 2-3 years even Adams and co are now “old”. that’s what happens when you have so few 22-25 year olds. Let’s just hope like syd our kids start contributing early

it is unbalanced, and needs some astute mid season drafts to help remedy

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Eg

I looked at that table and our problems lie not on the average but what age our established players are at and where our next hopefuls are at.

1617499030716.png

Coz of covid our 18-21 probably won't get much chance, we have the 2nd highest of the oldest group, the other is still a contender and we're not.

And apart from the cats, tigs and north we have the lowest in the sweet spot of 24-28. But the tigs have just won 3 flags, cats and tigs still in it and North is North. Meanwhile we've got zero and our oldies are on their last or 2nd last seasons if you purely look at their age.

So in short the window is shut (unless by some miracle that changes but hey we're Collingwood remember, footy gods aren't kind to us) but we've got a list and age demo that should have flags behind it, but we don't.

I really don't know how you keep such optimism, going by your post here you seem to think we can win it this year.

The issue is that of all the under 25s on our list, Maynard, Daicos and probably Noble are the only ones that you can be confident will play 100 games - and they're all flankers. We've got noone under 25 who you can be confident will play a core role. Our core is an aging core and our under 25s are very speculative.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
The issue is that of all the under 25s on our list, Maynard, Daicos and probably Noble are the only ones that you can be confident will play 100 games - and they're all flankers. We've got noone under 25 who you can be confident will play a core role. Our core is an aging core and our under 25s are very speculative.

why is 25 the magic number?

most here agree we’ve a very good core of 13-15 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Darcy Moore had been born in April instead of December, he'd be an U25. He's a pretty fair KPF

why is 25 the magic number?

most here agree we’ve a very good core of 13-15 players.
OK make it 24 and take out Noble and Maynard, leaving Daicos as our only one.
Make it 26 and it looks a bit better as you can add in Moore and JDG. Still not a strong group - not a genuine mid amongst them.

Either way, we're bloody reliant on our 25 and over players, which isn't uncommon for a team in contention. But if our under 25s were better, we'd be in contention, as well as not having a worryingly aging team.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
You don’t need them all to make it. If we can get 3 good players out of 7 or 8 it will be a success. Plus you have at least one next year who seems almost a certainty (maybe Dibbs as well) and some smart trades over the next 2 years and things are looking good

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve seen enough of Quaynor to expect him to play 200 games.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm not suggesting he lost us the game or anything but it was on the AFL app in a 20 minute video with Kane Cornes called "The Round So Far"

17:30 in

I know exactly how he would've felt. An 'oh *,' when he lost his man. An 'oh *' when he sees his man about to take an uncontested mark. And an even bigger 'oh *' when he sinks it.

You don’t need them all to make it. If we can get 3 good players out of 7 or 8 it will be a success. Plus you have at least one next year who seems almost a certainty (maybe Dibbs as well) and some smart trades over the next 2 years and things are looking good
Yep it can turn quickly. Particularly when we have Adams, Grundy, Crisp, Daicos, JDG Quaynor and Moore already in place. We've got a dozen unknowns so we may get lucky, but we're in a really speculative position, which is probably more likely to go pear shaped than go well.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
And I also think people are underestimating Tyler Brown. Another 12 months and I think he is going to be one hell of a player.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eg

You know it’s ridiculous these journos etc use ‘average’ as a measure. It’s grade 6 analysis. Certainly not a good representation to draw a meaningful conclusion from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back