AFLW Round 3 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season - Teams in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't put into words how much of an upset that is (although I think my tip sums it up pretty well).

Melbourne's inaccuracy by foot wasn't just limited to shots on goal, sloppiest ball use I've ever seen from them I reckon (in dry conditions at least). Big tactical error to leave Pearce down back all game too, even though she was very good, they needed some cleanness up front where the action was.

Despite the huge territory disadvantage, it did feel like the Saints were deserving winners on the night, a little more organised and a lot hungrier.

Feels a bit like necromancy with the current great game, and I've already had my sook, but I agree.

Saints had better team work, their goals came from good play across the field, not fluke moments, and we looked like we were just hoping if we pepper the 50 enough it will just happen, with no actual plan for scoring.

In the wet last week our disposals were so efficient, this week the opposite. Pearce not being used up front was a big error, also not using Zanker up front for more of the game. With Pearce out, we are wasting Zanker at ruck too much with our forwards struggling, and Cordner could just be used as a makeshift ruck.

So poor coaching, intensity, skills, game plan, and focus. Signs of a team that were expecting a win, and the opposition were more desperate and deserving. Sad for me, but good for the competition, not only a new team getting a memorable first win, but a reminder that no team is above being switched on and performing well, no result is a given.

Meanwhile, in this thrilling one, Freo back in front. Great match on right now.

Wow. Freo dominated that quarter but Collingwood hung on and moved it quickly and smartly for just the last minute, got a free kick and are within touch. Great finish coming up.

Seems another match with no really discernible reason for a scoring end, that nevertheless has a scoring end. Freo looking to buck that trend and wrap up a game that they looked outclassed in a quarter ago.

The picture quality doesn't bother me as much as the one fx mic for the whole ground.

So useless is perhaps an exaggeration...

I love Harris. She is a super fierce competitor, even if she sometimes doesn't execute perfectly. A very long way from useless, at any part of the game, but I don't mind the trash talking either.
Yeah pretty tame stuff really, although it'd be hard to argue that it didn't spur her on a bit today (which is good, but obviously you don't want to rely too heavily on pep talks from the opposition).

The picture quality doesn't bother me as much as the one fx mic for the whole ground.

Yeah pretty tame stuff really, although it'd be hard to argue that it didn't spur her on a bit today (which is good, but obviously you don't want to rely too heavily on pep talks from the opposition).

Plenty of all time great athletes seem to improve when fired up by opponents, despite being great players at all other times (Djokovich, Ambrose come to mind).

Meanwhile, what a great finish, not sure what else Collingwood can do, they dominated plenty of areas. Had a few more scoring shots but were hardly inaccurate. Credit to Freo, who played very well, but I think the Pies might just have to put that down to one of those things. Not saying they shouldn't always strive to improve, but they'd have won plenty of games playing like they did today.

Interesting clash of the tactics. Collingwood finished that game a bit like Brisbane earlier though. The urgency, and the structure to allow for urgency, just wasn't there. Example: can't remember how long left in the 4th, when Chiocci had it on the flank with time to drill a pass, nobody was setting up deep in the goalsquare so she just had to pop it up short to Layton. Gotta be rolling the dice with players ahead of the footy in that situation.

2nd half goes to show the fine margins for Freo's style, they only lifted a tiny bit on the stats sheet but it made a big difference. 3-0 heading over to Moorabbin next week, Bec Goddard seems to be keen on making a point about their travel schedule as if it was an issue for them last year. It really wasn't, they could've played the first round at Kardinia Park and I think they still would have won (as they did in 2019).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting clash of the tactics. Collingwood finished that game a bit like Brisbane earlier though. The urgency, and the structure to allow for urgency, just wasn't there. Example: can't remember how long left in the 4th, when Chiocci had it on the flank with time to drill a pass, nobody was setting up deep in the goalsquare so she just had to pop it up short to Layton. Gotta be rolling the dice with players ahead of the footy in that situation.

2nd half goes to show the fine margins for Freo's style, they only lifted a tiny bit on the stats sheet but it made a big difference. 3-0 heading over to Moorabbin next week, Bec Goddard seems to be keen on making a point about their travel schedule as if it was an issue for them last year. It really wasn't, they could've played the first round at Kardinia Park and I think they still would have won (as they did in 2019).
Think they were just spent. The Pies' girls were puffing pretty hard heading into half time. Don't think Freo will manage to steal a W heading into a game that flat again though. Freo's defenders (sans a sub par Gooch) held up well, forward line efficiency kept us close, and then smelling salts at HT on the midfielders I'm assuming? Think it did come down to endurance in the end - maybe the small number of disposals in the first half helped conserve more energy :) Hopefully it was a good wake up call even though we still got the 4 points.

Yep I also love how such a big deal is made about Freo not having to travel in the first 3 rounds. Meanwhile Carlton, North and Melbourne haven't had to leave Victoria yet either :think: Perhaps it would have been a bigger advantage for WC not to enter the comp, we keep Hooker, and get exclusive access to all the WA talent in the draft. But we'd have another game outside of WA instead of the derby :eek:

There are more skilled girls, but spread amongst more teams. I'd say the average is the same.
No, for a number of reasons.

The net effect is still that teams were able to delist players not up to it, and replace them with better players. So I think the bottom level talent has got better across the board, and I think its the bottom level talent that has the greatest effect on gameplay in AFLW, due to the large difference between the best and worst players.

Most teams, if you were to name their best 5 or 6 players would have 1 or 2 in that list that are first year players.

Freo is a case in point, they lost a lot of players, but got Roux, Strom, Webb, Flood, etc etc. I think they are a better team personnel wise than they were last year.

Carlton were crying about losing Davey, but they gained McEvoy, Egan and Laloifi. This makes them a better team imop, not a worse one. Would they have been even better gaining those three and keeping Davey, yes, but this just shows expansion has slowed the rate of improvement a bit, not flattened it, or made it worse.

It also doesn't account for the improvement in players over a year. The more elite a player is, the harder it is to find improvement in them, most of your training is just maintaining the standard. Good coaches can get significantly more improvement out of female AFLW players than AFL players imop. They just have so many areas that can be developed. An AFLW team that gained no knew players would be significantly better after 12 months.

So, my rule of thumb.

The players that stay get better. Very good players that go hurt, but your new players will include a few that are just as good. You still get to turnover your worst players, and upgrade them.

Not a lot of fun running around outside this afternoon, that's my new tip for today, I nearly died. A bit cooler in Blacktown and a lot more overcast, sounds like early rain has cleared so should be pretty good conditions for the Giants and Eagles.

Yep I also love how such a big deal is made about Freo not having to travel in the first 3 rounds. Meanwhile Carlton, North and Melbourne haven't had to leave Victoria yet either :think: Perhaps it would have been a bigger advantage for WC not to enter the comp, we keep Hooker, and get exclusive access to all the WA talent in the draft. But we'd have another game outside of WA instead of the derby :eek:
Plus, even if Freo drop two of their three interstate matches, they'll probably/possibly still go 6-2 with high % and I'm thinking that will be enough to finish top and not have to travel for finals anyway.

North played in Tassie last week, but it was a home game of course. Bulldogs the other team yet to leave Victoria.

This should go down in the stats as a one-percenter: Hicks getting around Privitelli and giving her the old "take your time, breathe!" spiel before her second goal, considering the latter missed a very similar bone easy shot in R1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back