AFLW Round 3 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season - Teams in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

what do you guys think ? you're the experts in losing

Probably not the best way to have a decent conversation with someone whose team is flying and a genuine chance I would’ve thought?

I can only assume the AFL umpires have gone back to just doing the blokes games because the umpiring standards this week have been abominable. Some genuinely perplexing calls.
FWIW I thought the NM-Richmond game was well umpired. More willing to call frees in contests to keep the ball moving, favoured the girls playing the ball. Probably missed a couple here and there but the vibe of the thing was fine.

I can only assume the AFL umpires have gone back to just doing the blokes games because the umpiring standards this week have been abominable. Some genuinely perplexing calls.
Pretty sure Razor umpired Friday night?

anyway back too the footy

from what I watched, no lack of effort from the WC girls
2nd half was better - but we were very sloppy in the first. Simple skills not executed at all.

We’ll get there, but we’re right at the bottom of the pecking order for sure

It was hard to tell how close SLT was in terms of applying pressure, but either way it was a brain fade by McMahon. Third match this weekend ended by an apparent lack of scoreboard/time/match awareness, or whatever you wanna call it. Even if she didn't get pinged, making no effort to keep the ball in play is what cost Geelong the chance to win.

Probably not the best way to have a decent conversation with someone whose team is flying and a genuine chance I would’ve thought?

Gutter trolls aren't interested in "decent conversation", Biggie. It's a real shame that AFLW threads are now being infected with his unhinged vitriol.

On topic and I still can't believe Collingwood's monumental improvment, they really did dominate for lengthy periods yesterday against a much more fancied side and probably should have won. Good little wakeup call for Freo after two reasonably easy games to start off with. Can't afford to take the Saints lightly next week that's for sure.

Ladder
yyladder3.PNG

Leading Goalkickers
yygoals3.png

No it didn't. Putting it through for a point was the right thing to do, except she should have made it less obvious that was her intent. Then she could have played on, kicked it down the guts and hoped for the best. If she had kept it in, the Geelong players ahead of her were off their feet and too far way from her and Adelaide would have scored anyway. They would have lost either way, so called it a brain fade is off the pace.
Hold on, do you realise the margin was 5 points before she took it over the line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On topic and I still can't believe Collingwood's monumental improvment, they really did dominate for lengthy periods yesterday against a much more fancied side and probably should have won.

Tell you what, they liked very impressive didn’t they? BUT your mob got the 4 points and that is a telling point in itself.

Red hot chance to go all the way

Crows two wins probably down to sheer experience against newer teams - No Phillips the easy thing to point to but I think Randall is the bigger out -
Carlton and North next two rounds will tell us alot

The usual social media accounts didn't really do this justice, I felt compelled to upload the real-time effort along with the side-on angle in one convenient tweet.

Coach Votes - Leaderboard
30. Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
22. Jamie Stanton (GCFC)
21. Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
20. Madison Prespakis (CARL)
18. Kate Lutkins (BL)
Full Round 3 Votes

Goal of the Year

The best goals of the round were clutch set shots like Greiser's nomination, or Howarth's non-nomination...

But this in a one-on-one with the reigning AA fullback has gotta get a mention too:

Mark of the Year

Harris took a bigger pack mark on the wing that I would've had in over Bella's.

Match Review
Shierlaw (StK), Bates (Bris), Eva (GWS) and Cox (Adel) offered reprimands. Rough conduct for the latter three, general rambunctiousness for the former.

Hilarious coaches voting in Freo vs Coll game

10 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
6 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
4 Ashleigh Brazill (COLL)
4 Brianna Davey (COLL)
3 Hayley Miller (FRE)
2 Sharni Layton (COLL)
1 Chloe Molloy (COLL)

Surely the defense gets some credit? Seth? Stannett? Pugh?
Not to mention another 14 tackles for KB.

10 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
4 Brianna Davey (COLL)
3 Hayley Miller (FRE)
2 Sharni Layton (COLL)
1 Chloe Molloy (COLL)

Wow quite surprising

10 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
4 Brianna Davey (COLL)
3 Hayley Miller (FRE)
2 Sharni Layton (COLL)
1 Chloe Molloy (COLL)

Nah everyone knows defenders don't win these types of awards. It was fair enough that the Pies dominated the coaches votes - Freo's performance was a pretty even one - the 'stars' were way too inconsistent whereas the Pies' stars stood out. Not sure I would have picked Brazill or Layton though.

I really wish AFL and AFLW commentators would move beyond rating a performance purely on a player's number of disposals though.

Rising Star

Stat of the Fortnight
Richmond: 4 goals 18 behinds
Nth Melb.: 18 goals 5 behinds

Crowds
The AFLW website (and Austadiums for the Blacktown game) reported 31,003 attendees for the round at an average of 4429 per game.

Nah everyone knows defenders don't win these types of awards. It was fair enough that the Pies dominated the coaches votes - Freo's performance was a pretty even one - the 'stars' were way too inconsistent whereas the Pies' stars stood out. Not sure I would have picked Brazill or Layton though.

I really wish AFL and AFLW commentators would move beyond rating a performance purely on a player's number of disposals though.

Fair but I don't think you can justify listing 4 or 5 of your best 5 from the game as being from the losing side.
With the defender balance I agree but then Bowers shouldve been up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back