AFLW Round 3 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what's so frustrating with those who seem fixated on the scoreline to determine if it was a good game or not

There'll be those who haven't watched enough of this weekend's matches but based on nothing other than 111 points being scored last night between Melbourne & North, they'll decide that was the best game this round

They then look at 15 points scored between 2 teams in the first half today and if they haven't been watching then it's easy to be kinda dismissive of the match as "obviously not being much", rather than seeing the contest and battle between the 2 teams
Yeah started watching just after HT and the contest is very good. Freo with the extra class and taking their chances. They look a very good team across the ground.

Work rate way down for the Crows that quarter, could they play more loose defenders behind the ball ffs. And Duffy is still halving every outnumbered contest she finds herself in anyway.

I think the margin would be twice as big if Adelaide didn't have the comfort of a 105m-wide ground to stem the flow of Freo's ball movement.

A good return for Chloe Scheer today, who looks to be in the process of shedding those Jarman-like tree trunk legs which should get her more and more midfield minutes. A real unselfish ball user too, as opposed to Marinoff who just torches team mate after team mate (that one on the centre break in Q3, think it was Mules she left hanging, was especially putrid).

A couple of people walking down Punt Rd have stopped to watch the Tigers v Pies game. A security guard is there to get them to move on.

Two great games back to back - but very different.

The Demons/Roos game was far less contested in the guts, but there was some lovely skills execution.

The Crows/Dockers much higher pressure - more like a hard game of finals footy with an incredible number of one-percenters on both sides. Freo just a little bit cleaner on the outside so created better scoring chances.

I know I’m biased but what impressed me the most was Freo’s set up behind play. It’s the sort of thing that really underpins accountable footy and makes it so hard to score against.

The Crows were missing a couple of key players, but I think both teams are heading to finals (as should the Roos and Demons).

The biggest issue that the Blues face to make finals is they haven’t played the Lions, Roos, Dockers or Crows yet. The draw will have a large part to play in their finals chances.

Great to see the game being played to such high standards.

Nice to see that the umpiring levels have been dragged down.
Further out of bounds than Harmes was and yet the same result. A goal

16382C17-9DEE-435D-A26E-67C2516B02AF.jpeg

As with most of last season, some awful kicking in front of goal making Richmond look a lot less competitive on the scoreboard than what they've really been... that's what I would have said after the first two missed sitters in that quarter. After the third and fourth shanks, one must simply throw their hands in the air.
The biggest issue that the Blues face to make finals is they haven’t played the Lions, Roos, Dockers or Crows yet. The draw will have a large part to play in their finals chances.
Carlton should welcome the chance to play Brisbane (if it arises), easiest way to gain ground on the team that currently has their top 6 spot. Making up the numbers if they can't beat the Lions in what would be a crucial 8-point game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few very soft 'dangerous tackles' have been paid in this game. I hope that's not the consistent standard moving forward.

Brisbane aren’t easy beats specially at home would say North is the team that really hasn’t put up much of fight this season
That would be the dumb opinion, which is at least an improvement on what you usually post on here (i.e. verifiably false information and incorrect statistics, etc.).

Just when you think Kiara Bowers couldn't get any better she does! She is the best mid in the comp by a fair margin IMO.
Richmond gained just a small bit of respect today. Onwards and upwards Tiges.
Bowers is so good. Not only does she use the ball well and get a lot of the ball, she’s tough and hardworking too. 14 tackles today tells us a lot. In fact, she didn’t have below 10 tackles since the final against Carlton and only had below 10 tackles 3 out of the 18 games she played at AFLW! To have that many tackles off the ball while collecting so much of the ball herself shows how hard she goes at it whenever she plays.

Such a hard worker and has elite skills. I agree, she is the best midfielder in the competition.

Professional win by the pies. Although if they could fix up fading out in one of the 4 quarters, that would be nice. Just need to get a full 4 quarter consistency, but otherwise, good game.

Sheridan was great. Ruby gets better and better every game. Bri Davey. All class.

Professional win by the pies. Although if they could fix up fading out in one of the 4 quarters, that would be nice. Just need to get a full 4 quarter consistency, but otherwise, good game.

Sheridan was great. Ruby gets better and better every game. Bri Davey. All class.
Ruby has got her act together, and is starting to use her height and pace. Could be an Antonio type player.

Despite losing to what some might say is a decent margin, I think that's the best performance we've seen from Tigers in AFLW considering the strength of opposition. McKenzie is, and no shock, scary good, she's only getting more comfortable and fit as well, her and Conti in full time midfield roles together is going to be hard to much up against.

Despite losing to what some might say is a decent margin, I think that's the best performance we've seen from Tigers in AFLW considering the strength of opposition. McKenzie is, and no shock, scary good, she's only getting more comfortable and fit as well, her and Conti in full time midfield roles together is going to be hard to much up against.
Could they be grooming McKenzie for a KPF role? Given another couple of AFLW preseasons, she will be a beast of a player.

Could they be grooming McKenzie for a KPF role? Given another couple of AFLW preseasons, she will be a beast of a player.
It's possible, and probably smart for building their team long term, they'll get one of Georgie Prespakis or Charlie Rowbottom in this years draft you'd imagine, both strong midfielders (Rowbottom can play a KPF role as well at 178 cm), so can probably afford to groom McKenzie as a KPF then utilise one of those two (or any other VIC prospect that pushes those two + Slender) as the main partner to Conti. If it were me, I'd be looking at giving her a 70/30 split midfield and forward, maybe with KB as the reverse

Yeah, last year she had a couple injuries, but definitely having a career best year. Bonnici too, i've never realized how good she is.
Brit is just a real solid workhorse type player, will play whatever role to her best effort not matter what it is. Her work to run defensively and play as a 7th down there, especially against Geelong, is unbelievable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back