AFLW Round 3 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Stat from the weekend: Daisy Pearce is the only AFLW player to have managed two wins against each of Adelaide and North Melbourne without a loss.

Now, who's ready for some Monday night* footbaaaaaall here on NBC^!
*not really at night ^not actually on NBC

It can't be as big a thrashing as what Brisbane dealt out last week. If West Coast don't put a small forward on Jesse Wardlaw then already they're doing better than the Suns.

West Coast are doing pretty well. They’re missing Dana Hooker too. Just missing a bit of class to their finishing.

When Brisbane start a match like this, they almost never get better. WC will win if they keep the pressure at the same level throughout, even with all the missed shots in front of goal.

When Brisbane start a match like this, they almost never get better. WC will win if they keep the pressure at the same level throughout, even with all the missed shots in front of goal.
Hard ask isn't it, that intensity I mean for 4 qtrs.

Hard ask isn't it, that intensity I mean for 4 qtrs.
Keeping it locked into one section of the ground for long stretches makes it a bit easier though.

If West Coast don't put a small forward on Jesse Wardlaw then already they're doing better than the Suns.
Cut to Belinda Smith caught one-out with her 20m from goal. Sums up the quarter for WC there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC have been in most games until half time then get blown away.

Seems like either the gameplan is expecting a work-rate that the girls can't reasonably be expected to give for 4 quarters or the S&C at the Eagles is lacking.

Seems like either the gameplan is expecting a work-rate that the girls can't reasonably be expected to give for 4 quarters or the S&C at the Eagles is lacking.
100%

Brisbane are first on the ladder, but at the same time they have only played expansion cellar dwellers in Richmond, Gold Coast and West Coast who’ve been getting thrashed by other sides too so far. Having said that, this is what a top team does against a bottom team so things look promising for them

Doesn't have to be an either/or. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to run out a game after last week's slog, Fremantle didn't exactly have their typical 4th quarter blitz yesterday after all and they are clearly much fitter across the board while dealing with less injuries.
Lol yeah Brisbane don’t get any better only played half a game and won by 45 points
They really didn't get better, West Coast just dropped off and it was obvious. I tipped Brisbane to win by 50 points, would you like to have a cry about that too?

Doesn't have to be an either/or. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to run out a game after last week's slog, Fremantle didn't exactly have their typical 4th quarter blitz yesterday after all and they are clearly much fitter across the board while dealing with less injuries.

If it was a one-off I'd agree, but similar thing happened against Adelaide from memory.

If it was a one-off I'd agree, but similar thing happened against Adelaide from memory.
Sure did.

Freo was weather related.

It’s a tough gameplan - I’m not-sure it’s the correct one

Quite a difference between the two games, the benchmark they set for themselves today was much higher. Basically on the backfoot against the Crows the entire time.

Another stat some of you might enjoy:

Throughout Brisbane's AFLW history before today, they had only won four matches in which the opposition had more scoring shots to quarter time (the biggest deficit being 3 scoring shots to none all the way back in R1 2017). Whereas Carlton, for example, have done that in four of their last five victories.

------

In honour of today's news about the All-Australian selection panel, here is a prediction for how this year's team will turn out, based on the choices in previous seasons.

Backs: Schleicher, Laloifi, Allan, Grider, Mithen

Ruck/Mids: B. Moody, Davey, Bowers, Bonnici, Paxman, Patrikios

Forwards: Phillips, Garner, Blackburn, Davidson, Houghton

Bench: Cuthbertson, A. Parker, Kearney, Prespakis, Bodey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back