Preview Round 3 - Freo v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People on here call Suban a spud for the numbers that SPS has posted in his first 2 AFL games.
Comparing a youngster's output in his first two games with that of a guy who's in his 9th year of AFL? 7 tackles is impressive and he topped the pressure acts tally (with 25) in his first game and he was on the ground for less than 30 minutes. In his second game he was equal 2nd for pressure acts (with 19), kicked a goal and was only on the ground for just 18 minutes.

SPS is a young aboriginal kid originally from one of the most remote towns in Australia who has moved across the country to play for a club that is one of the favourites for the spoon. He had an interrupted first pre-season due to injury but debuted in Round 1 because his coach clearly rates his abilities extremely highly based on what little he has seen so far. Carlton don't seem disappointed in what he has shown so far given the circumstances but I'm sure your assessment using a couple of stats is more accurate :rolleyes:

If SPS ever racks up Suban's 1 effective disposal and 4 clangers in an entire game then I'd definitely be questioning my expectation that this kid is going to be a gun but in the meantime I've seen nothing to suggest he won't be. I've watched Sam play live many times and once he is ready and they shift him to an inside/outside role (he's played only on the outside so far) and he gets used to playing with the players around him he'll make far more of an impact.

I hope you'll be more respectful and patient with our pick #8 debuting tonight.

Hey guys sorry to intrude, quick question...
Whats your pace like off half back? We will be much taller up forward with Cloke and Boyd etc, but we aren't a high marks inside 50 team. If you can bring the ball to ground it might expose us the other way (we do concede a lot of goals out the back on the counter, given our style of play).

Would this be something I can expect to see you exploit, or do you lack a few running half backs? Can any of the new kids come in and play as running defenders?
Thanks and good luck after this week.

Whats your pace like off half back? We will be much taller up forward with Cloke and Boyd etc, but we aren't a high marks inside 50 team. If you can bring the ball to ground it might expose us the other way (we do concede a lot of goals out the back on the counter, given our style of play).

Would this be something I can expect to see you exploit, or do you lack a few running half backs? Can any of the new kids come in and play as running defenders?
We have the players in the B22, it's just whether they'll play in the back line or not. Weller has been playing half back in that JJ type role. Crozier played well at half back at the end of last season, trained a bit there in pre-season but hasn't played their since for reasons we all don't understand. Sheridan might line up and he has some run but hasn't been in form. Logue is a 194cm athlete and has played as a rebounding CHB in WAFL but its his debut so low expectations, and obviously Hamling has pace but not great skills. Johnson has lost a lot of pace, we don't know which Ibbo to expect and Hughes has good run, is evasive, but isn't fast. We're moving in the right direction but our back line will rely a lot on pressure up field just like yours benefits from. If we bring some intensity it might be a good game to watch but it is more likely going to be a slaughterhouse.

How else can we look at SPS's debut but look at his output and I know you expected better as you had been pushing his case for a couple of years. People on here call Suban a spud for the numbers that SPS has posted in his first 2 AFL games.

People call Suban a spud because he's played almost 150 games and still can't get it more than 12 times.

At this point it's hard to say because we don't really know how the team is going to line up yet. With so many changes there's a fair chance we might try something different in our half back line. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Hill brothers start there. Or Crozier or Weller.

Today signifies progress, whatever the result. I like to think I can watch it stress-free

I'm in the same boat, stress free supporting !!!!!.

If all 22 give 100%, I will be happy. The old farts provide a solid base, the whippersnappers to just go, go, go, like wind up toys !!!!!!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back