Status
Not open for further replies.

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't we put Hale in the Ruck and McCauley on Tippett

Yes, whoever is the resting ruckman, it can interchange between McCauley/Hale. No ruck work for Roughead.

Going purely on weight/Height that is what seems logical.

Shoenmakers on Lynch, both inexperienced, similar height/weight

Roughead on Taylor walker, again similar height/weight. I take it most people think Roughead will be too good, but hey it will send a good message that he can take on bigger tasks.

It would be good to have Gunston/Franklin combination in the fwd line, Franklin at his most dangerous closer to goal and plenty of room to lead.

Do you think if last Monday, one of our ruckman was on Hawkins and Roughead on IPod, we would have done better ?

Jedstar

He'll be back
Jul 21, 2007
Deep in a sea of ennui
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A forward line of Buddy, Roughie, Gunstall and Hale wont win us a flag. Still think we are playing too many talls.

Bocca for Stratts and Hill for Smith is at the very least a par. Smith and Stratts were both fairly unimportant last week.

Changa to Sub.

I disagree. Thought Stratts was alright last week. Didn't help out Shoey as much as I would have liked, but Geelong did a good job of isolating him on one opponent so they could target him.

Anyway, the back injury would go a ways to show why Smith was reduced in his usual influence last week. Hope he bounces back quickly.

Changa needs to be dropped. His poor disposal and attempt to milk a free rather than try and contest for a mark in the final quarter hurt.

Shiels in for Bateman, Hill in for Smithy... Dick should come in, unsure who for though. Maybe Stratts could use a break on second thoughts.

HawksILove

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 4, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes, whoever is the resting ruckman, it can interchange between McCauley/Hale. No ruck work for Roughead.

Roughead on Taylor walker, again similar height/weight. I take it most people think Roughead will be too good, but hey it will send a good message that he can take on bigger tasks.

It would be good to have Gunston/Franklin combination in the fwd line, Franklin at his most dangerous closer to goal and plenty of room to lead.

Do you think if last Monday, one of our ruckman was on Hawkins and Roughead on IPod, we would have done better ?

Yes, i think we would have done better

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
A forward line of Buddy, Roughie, Gunstall and Hale wont win us a flag. Still think we are playing too many talls.

Bocca for Stratts and Hill for Smith is at the very least a par. Smith and Stratts were both fairly unimportant last week.

Changa to Sub.
I don't see the point of Hale if he isn't your lead ruck.

And Gunston is too good to be a sub.

jpzhawk

All Australian
May 20, 2011
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really am surprised that Cheney is not getting a game, from what i have read on here and in the papers etc, he has been more than servicable for BHH, infact one of their best every week.
I also still believe when Hodge returns he should play the rest of the year in the backline. His role as the general down there is what won us the 2008 flag. I feel so much better knowing he is down there. We have enough mids to do the job and if need be he can short bursty stints in the middle but thats it. His poise, courage and brains would be invaluable across half back.

B : Guerra Gilham Gibson
HB : Birchall Roughy Hodge

Now thats a winning 6 pack. With Cheney and Stratts as backup. One of on the bench.

realhawk

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How far away is Hodge?
Who would know, he was just rested for the pies game so we were told, just more bullsh#t coming from the club, the guy has torn a calf muscle, (at training mind you,) he probably wont be back until round 5 or 6 , and then struggle for a fair bit of the year. As for poppy ,well he was supposed to have a minor back related hamstring soreness, lets be honest here the guy tore a hammy ( probably at training as well) hence the 5 weeks off. Season 2012 groundhog season for the Hawks, but totally predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

realhawk

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Osborne and Bateman are our weak links, plus they need to make way to give young blood some experience. I don't think Hill could do worse than Bateman.
As poor as they have been by far the biggest weak link in our side Has been Bruest, if he plays then we are effectively playing a man short. At least osborne and changa put some pressure on the opposition when they are not getting much of it themselves.

J0NNY B

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As poor as they have been by far the biggest weak link in our side Has been Bruest, if he plays then we are effectively playing a man short. At least osborne and changa put some pressure on the opposition when they are not getting much of it themselves.

You must have missed his hard ball get and quick handball to Mitchell - goal. Breust also got off another contested handball to Lewis that would have been another goal, but Lewis dropped it.

He is not a contested mark, but his inside work is far better than most give credit.

Breust has not been at his best the last two weeks - but even taking that into consideration he is a very important player and easily in our best 22. He needs to get to 30-40 games by the end of this year - so even if he goes missing on the odd occasion - the experience will help him and the side will be better off in the long run. The same goes for Savage.

Unfortunately there is no improvement in Bateman/Osborne - so why play them? I hope they can provide some leadership at Box Hill, similar to what Ellis and Ladson displayed in 2011.

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
If Young plays, I hope he plays well, was a big fan in 2008, but sadly he has fallen away with injuries and changes to the way the game is played.

I'm dreading his 2 x signature moves.

1) The massive bomb forward, regardless of who is there, if anyone.

2) Running into the 50 metre arc, kicking for goal...and missing.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I disagree. Thought Stratts was alright last week. Didn't help out Shoey as much as I would have liked, but Geelong did a good job of isolating him on one opponent so they could target him....

If we are going to have a lock down defender Cheney would be my choice. He is strong and runs straight. Stratts strength is reading the ball in the air and helping out as third man up. Regardless of the blind love for Stratts he is not reading the ball anywhere near as well as we know he can.

Wc play a lot of talks ;)

Please tell me you are not comparing Cox to Hale.

I don't see the point of Hale if he isn't your lead ruck....

Hopefully, now that Rough is back, we will stop the folly of playing Hale as a forward. Having said that I do not rate the crows as a top 6 side so Hale will be a contributor - lock it in.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
A forward line of Buddy, Roughie, Gunstall and Hale wont be applied. Still think we are playing too many talls.

Changa to Sub.

I have edited the topline for accuracy - I think it is playing mind games, get the Cows thinking. I think either Hale will be rested or Roughy will be back. Depends on if Clarko thinks Rough is ready to chop out in the ruck for a whole game and what he wants the Cows to think.

Changa as sub - Not for mine, he was sub once last week and had Nil impact from memory. I don't think he is dynamic enough. Go with Breust or Savage maybe.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Do you think if last Monday, one of our ruckman was on Hawkins and Roughead on IPod, we would have done better ?[/quote]

Geez I wish it was as simple as Height and Weight - Just draft the biggest ugliest gronk you can find and your done! And I certainly dont thing having Hale or McCauley on PODS or HAWKINS would have faired any better. They are NO WAY near mobile or explosive enough on these Players.

Having either of them on Tippett would most likely spell disaster for the same reason. About the only upside would be they might be able to contest a bit better in the one on one but even that is a HUGE might, as they would have to get into correct positioning and not grapple too much to give away a free in front of goal etc etc

You can't take a BIG guy that plays ruck and forward and turn him into a competative defender just because he is BIG. Roughy is a freak and not anywhere near as big and immobile as our rucks. He is the only option that could go back and that still does not mean he would make an excellent defender, although with Roughy I think he could.

Cyril the Squirrel

All Australian
Mar 26, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does the sub have to be one of the named interchange players????

No. Gunston was named in the fwd pocket for round 1..

We have talked up having the 30 fit players pushing for selection but all that means nothing if the 23-30 don't get a game. Time to start putting pressure on the bottom few players to perform or GTFO. Keeps everyone hungry.

Cheney has been tearing up BHH, hence time for Changa to refresh.

mrcurly

Club Legend
Nov 21, 2008
Feet up in the Bigfooty Exit Lounge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems a few here think Bruest should be dropped to BH, i disagree.

To develop a potent forward setup he and Gunstion need to be persevered with. I think Bruest is doing a lot more grunt work around the ground this season than he did last year, he looks a different player, unfortunately his accuracy around the goals in the first two rounds has suffered.

He was the most reliable set shot in the team last year, he can be forgiven for shanking a kick in a pressure cooker game in the wet, i can see plenty more upside in him than some of our other small forwards.

As for bringing Young back this week to cover Smith.. it sounds like he was in good form last game at BH - but he was still spraying the ball with indiscriminate kicks. So it sounds like he would not be a step forward until he can improve this aspect of his game. I would prefer Hill to Young, or to bring in Cheney to take the small forward - rather than completely wasting Savages attacking game in the backline.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I would like to see -

B: Benjamin Stratton, Josh Gibson, Brent Guerra
HB: Grant Birchall, Jarryd Roughead , Matt Suckling
C: Brendan Whitecross, Sam Mitchell, Shane Savage
HF: Shaun Burgoyne, Lance Franklin, Jack Gunston,
F: , Cyril Rioli, David Hale, Luke Breust
Foll: Broc McCauley, Brad Sewell, Jordan Lewis
I/C: Michael Osborne, Clinton Young, Liam Shiels - Sub: Kyle Cheney

Might sound odd with Cheney as the sub, but the plan would be to sub off Hale in the late 3rd or so. Push Suckers to HFF, get Buddy deep and push Cheney into the back 6. Let Goo take the kick outs and share the drive off HB with Birch. Thats the plan anyway. Hale could have 5 by that time and stay on, who knows. Sub Cheney on and whack him in the middle, he is hard at it and can win his own ball. Or sub him on for Osbourne, he could be our next pest. I would love to see Hill in there but he is unproven and we may need some experience coming on late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back