Autopsy Round 3: JOM Exotic and the tame Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal by Smith was top shelf, particularly because the handball by Bruest wasn't that good, Smith had to take the ball above his head.
yep, had to throw his hand back and break stride for a second to collect the ball, then turns the jets on for a 10m burst and slots a peach.

I'll put my hand up as one who thought Smith could be on the downwards after a great career. Turns out he's got more juice in the tank.

yep, had to throw his hand back and break stride for a second to collect the ball, then turns the jets on for a 10m burst and slots a peach.

I'll put my hand up as one who thought Smith could be on the downwards after a great career. Turns out he's got more juice in the tank.
Bevo rates him as the best wingman in the comp. So damaging.

Imagine him in other colours? He's a nightmare match up.

TOB is playing the role that Schoenmakers played. He is playing it pretty much to the same level and providing the same contribution to the team and we won more often with Shoe playing. Getting to lots of contests, smashing packs and making sure defenders do not mark the ball are all an essential ingredient to the game. Tim is also a good kick, maybe not quite as good a Schoe but pretty good all the same. If he starts grabbing a few marks he will amoung the better CHF running around because he is already making a contribution with his contesting both in the air and on the ground.
Some of you don't think he does enough and want Lewis to get a run, I love Lewis but I don't reckon he can get to as many contests.

On saturday, Mark McClure, one of the few insightful commentators imo and a pretty good CHF in his day, was expanding on Miochek's (sp) of Collingwood value. He was praising his output, which is essentially the same as TOB's.

I understand what you're saying re: Schoey, and that's a good comparison.

However a quick fact check on Mihocek reveals that their respective outputs are not essentially the same. One player is averaging 6 marks a game, the other has 3 for the season to date.

My son and I were having the TOB debate.
He argued that Timmy should be dropped, I argued that he influences the contests.

So...we sat down and watched Thursday night's game end-to-end yesterday, specifically looking for Timmy.

When you do that, it's amazing how many times he does influence it.

Front line, back line, rucking, chasing.

My son is now converted.

You can do that with every single player.

Bevo rates him as the best wingman in the comp. So damaging.

Imagine him in other colours? He's a nightmare match up.

At his peak, I honestly agree. Compare him to other wingmen, there's no other person in that position I'd rather have the ball streaming into the 50.

He doesn't get as much of the ball as others, like Gaff, but he's a lot more dynamic and he has one of the best kicks in the competition.

That goal by Smith was top shelf, particularly because the handball by Bruest wasn't that good, Smith had to take the ball above his head.

Really? I thought it was amazing. Sure it wasn't right on the chest but he was shaping up and then when hears the call gives an instant handball directly in his path so he doesn't have to break stride, while under pressure.

I’ll be interested in seeing how TOB goes against some of the teams with less quality talks in their back lines.

Each of RFC, GFC and BFC have quality, experienced tall defenders who play well as a group together and limit contested marking well. I’ll be interested in seeing him against some of the other teams as the year progresses and seeing whether he comes up to Mihocek’s levels (who has played WB, RFC and StK - the first and last have very different back line quality).

Interesting that Chad only attended 3 Centre Bounces in this game, out of 19.

Worpel and Mitchell had 16. JOM had 15.

I would have thought Chad would go in there much more.

I'm a huge advocate for Chad being played in the middle, or at least around the ball and stoppages as much as possible - though if he's going to kick 3 a game playing forward then I can't complain. Maybe him playing HFF, pushing up and getting the ball dished out to him is where he's most damaging?

At his peak, I honestly agree. Compare him to other wingmen, there's no other person in that position I'd rather have the ball streaming into the 50.

He doesn't get as much of the ball as others, like Gaff, but he's a lot more dynamic and he has one of the best kicks in the competition.

Gaff is a death by a thousand cuts kind of wingman, whereas Smith and Hill seemingly have more impact with their possessions. Personally I prefer the latter style of wingman, but in the end I think both styles compliment each other extremely well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith works hard both ways. He is a real asset. And a big game performer.

Thought Wingers should have at least been third on that list.
Cegs led all comers with 7 clearances
Next best was Jaeger on 4 and then a bunch of players on 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back