Preview Round 3: Melbourne vs Essendon, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Friday 01/04/2022 @ 7:40 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I understand why some are upset at the Francis omission.

He's an average forward that misses too many gettable shots at goal. It's defence or nothing for me (depending on match ups and injuries). Phillips is a better choice against Melbourne given he helps Wright play as a permanent forward.

I'm happy with the changes though I believe Ham should have been omitted for Hobbs (Redman wing, McGrath HB and Hobbs Mid/defence).

Not too many surprises other than Ham is still getting a game.

I had a feeling that we'd play an extra ruck to combat the Demons and maybe even have one resting forward to give some better competition than Francis.

Smith out is a positive.

honestly don't get it.
So that Wright does not have to be the number 1 key forward and second ruck. Suspect it will be short term until Jones is ready or Baldwin has a few good VFL games. Wright stays forward . Draper probably plays a bit forward as well. Obviously Melbourne play 2 rucks in Gawn and Jackson.

He was two straight kicks away from a really good game.

As it is, we're playing him in a new role and he did pretty well all things consider and there was plenty to build on.

For such a confidence player, this was a crap decision to omit him (albeit it was from a match up perspective).
With the new role maybe they want him to build some confidence in the VFL.

Not sure I understand why some are upset at the Francis omission.

He's an average forward that misses too many gettable shots at goal. It's defence or nothing for me (depending on match ups and injuries). Phillips is a better choice against Melbourne given he helps Wright play as a permanent forward.

I'm happy with the changes though I believe Ham should have been omitted for Hobbs (Redman wing, McGrath HB and Hobbs Mid/defence).
I think Essendon are butchering this blokes career. He has one preseason playing as a forward, comes in for one game then gets dropped! Give the bloke a chance for Christ sake!

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Essendon are butchering this blokes career. He has one preseason playing as a forward

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think Essendon are butchering his career. He wouldn't be out of the side if he was performing to the required level.
Laverde is the perfect example of what Francis needs to aim for. He needs to make himself undroppable. Francis hasn't done that so far and he's had plenty of chances.

Some decent changes but still some strange ones. No way should we be dropping Francis. We need three talls up forward.
For those upset about Francis being dropped, I think you need to see this as being about match ups, and especially to have a decent 2nd ruck to take on Melb's 2 rucks, with the added benefit of leaving 2MP in the forward line. Unless Phillips plays out of his skin, you may well see him and Francis switched next week. Francis really needs 1 of Redman, Laverde or Ridley get injured as that is where he is best suited. His spot was going to be in trouble once Jones is right and Baldwin might end up ahead of him in the forward line too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the changes - Smith had to go and may well play out the year in the twos, the Francis experiment forward has failed - I would have played him in defence this week rather than dropped him though - but I’m not the coach. Phillips an obvious IN. Hoping the team structures up a little more like;-

Kelly Stewart Lav
Heppell Ridley Hind
Redman Shiel Cutler
Guelfi Stringer Martin
Perkins 2MP Wanga

Draper McGrath Parish

Caldwell Durham Ham Phillips

If we are on we might get close or win it u just never know!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Sam McClure literally has zero idea about football. Couldn’t believe that smith was dropped, and think he should play in the midfield when he comes back in 😂
Like a lot of talking heads, probably hasn’t watched Essendon more than 5 times in the last 5 years, and of those times I reckon two were when Smith was injured

Wright is obviously more suited to that 2nd or 3rd tall option but guys like Jones and Baldwin just aren't at that stage in their career yet. 2MP has a lot of almost marks that he doesn't quite stick but at the same time our ball use going forward isn't always great and he ends up having to wrestle with multiple defenders.

Stewart's been a real whipping boy already but at the end of the day he was thrown down back as a last resort considering we don't have anyone else ready to step in with Reid being injured and so young as well. Hope the same people slamming Stewart have more patient with Reid when he does come in because it's not going to just be a quick fix straight away.
Genuinely thought you were dead.

For those upset about Francis being dropped, I think you need to see this as being about match ups, and especially to have a decent 2nd ruck to take on Melb's 2 rucks, with the added benefit of leaving 2MP in the forward line. Unless Phillips plays out of his skin, you may well see him and Francis switched next week. Francis really needs 1 of Redman, Laverde or Ridley get injured as that is where he is best suited. His spot was going to be in trouble once Jones is right and Baldwin might end up ahead of him in the forward line too.

Francis isn’t a KPP. He’s a medium. Bringing Phillips in is exactly what he needed to get the mismatch.

His bench mark should be compete first, 5-7 marks, 2-3 goals or assists combined. He did that last week. We are far too concerned with what he isn’t than what he is.

Francis isn’t a KPP. He’s a medium. Bringing Phillips in is exactly what he needed to get the mismatch.

His bench mark should be compete first, 5-7 marks, 2-3 goals or assists combined. He did that last week. We are far too concerned with what he isn’t than what he is.
Yep, Philips is taking Jones’ spot for this game not Francis’. We played Hooker, Wright and Jones last year and had success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back