Preview Round 3 North vs Swans Saturday 1:45 pm: Changes & pre match discussion @Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d argue the opposite, considering nobody here had Ahern even in the discussion this week to come in...

We are used to no changes after a win under Scott, we were also used to no changes after being humiliated as well. :stern look

I feel like Ahern might be one of Shaw’s favourites.

I have faith in him as well, if he is in form...

He has all the skills & can find the pill, he just seems to lack the urgency to make it at the level.

I am not sure about urgency, he looked pretty urgent when he got 40 disposals against the Eagles in their premiership year. I still think that he is a midfielder and that is his best role, I am hopeful that him replacing Scott means he will play in the middle rather than down back.

Shaw sees something he likes, like we all have. He is a bit of the forgotten man.

He went #7 in the draft, he has had some ripper games for us, I don't think it is rocket science to figure if you can get him playing to his potential then he will be a huge asset to the side.

When he first come on the scene, he was racking up touches as a fat kid & we all thought we could build a midfield around him, LDU & TT.
Hope he can pull his finger out, cause this year could be do or die for him, if list sizes are reduced as expected.

I think Bard Scott did what he did best, he ****ed with his head, shattered his confidence. I think the problem with him in the midfield was that he wasn't the most accountable midfielder going around, he played aggressively. I don't think any more than Higgins or Polec, but you can't have 3 guys who don't run defensively and another 3 guys who can't get out of first gear as your midfield group so despite a red hot pre-season, Brad left him in the VFL to work on his defensive side of his game while our AFL team was getting sodomised.

I think with Shaw, it is an all-in type of affair, Higgins had 4 tackles on the weekend, Polec 3, it is not Anderson like numbers but I think our outside mids are more defensively accountable than they were under Scott.

9-10 wins will get you finals this year.

12 wins will get you top 4.

Handle this and we've got probably 6 wins and then 9 more wins to go. With Hawthorn and the Dogs coming up, we have one of the best opportunities of the last 2 decades to finally set ourselves up for a legitimate run considering all of the bottom teams (Adelaide, Gold Coast, Carlton) will still be in the run home and we don't have to contend with an inequal draw with our competitors.

I hate the reduced game time, but the 17 game season and playing everyone once is a winner imo.

9-10 wins will get you finals this year.

12 wins will get you top 4.

Handle this and we've got probably 6 wins and then 9 more wins to go. With Hawthorn and the Dogs coming up, we have one of the best opportunities of the last 2 decades to finally set ourselves up for a legitimate run considering all of the bottom teams (Adelaide, Gold Coast, Carlton) will still be in the run home and we don't have to contend with an inequal draw with our competitors.

I hate the reduced game time, but the 17 game season and playing everyone once is a winner imo.
15-2 Pykie? That is some extrapolation from 1 good win last week.

That said the shorter qtr's, equal draw and no crowds should help us.

If we can get to 4-1 then we can start to think finals as long as there are no new long term injuries and Larkey is back 100% fit.

How would you describe Bailey Scott's playing style vs Ahern's?
Reason I ask is I thought these two are quite different in terms of their attributes, always thought Ahern's more thicker around the waist and thighs so won't be as agile but better at getting contested possessions. Scott seems quite skinny but obviously knows where the goals are, having avged almost 1 a game so far.
This change seems to be quite tactical.

15-2 Pykie? That is some extrapolation from 1 good win last week.

That said the shorter qtr's, equal draw and no crowds should help us.

If we can get to 4-1 then we can start to think finals as long as there are no new long term injuries and Larkey is back 100% fit.

Huh?

I meant if we win this week , we could afford to go 6-8 and still make finals or then try for 9-5 for top 4.

The fact that Marley is on the emergency list and Bailey is not sighted probably adds weight to the notion that Aherns inclusion is very much a tactical move. The general plan would be that Marley replaces Bailey. However, for the Swans game, Ahern is viewed a more suitable for the team matchups? Of course, if Bailey is sore/rested/nursing something, then...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How would you describe Bailey Scott's playing style vs Ahern's?
Reason I ask is I thought these two are quite different in terms of their attributes, always thought Ahern's more thicker around the waist and thighs so won't be as agile but better at getting contested possessions. Scott seems quite skinny but obviously knows where the goals are, having avged almost 1 a game so far.
This change seems to be quite tactical.
Adding better skills and composure, losing pace

Overall an upgrade

We, probably, need to remember that Marley blotted his copybook with his very careless action in a nothing game. Scamper could be sending a message that you can’t just walk back in. Who knows? I certainly don’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be but surely the COVID shutdown sent that message pretty clearly. Plus ...what Marley did wasn't that bad. Can't remember who it was but I thought they ducked their head into him to draw contact and a free.

Been so long since it's been this way.

Tactical changes. Changes just to give guys an opportunity. Changes to keep players on edge. No favorites. No ones papers stamped. You earn it.

It's refreshing.

It's great. As if the coach is completely focused on his job and winning, not on anything else.

Scott looks like a kid, he needs to put the Feedbag on....Look at Curtis, that skinny bloke is playing his ass off but Bailey is too skinny
I happen to have a couple of spare kgs as it happens
Same here. Maybe we should do a whip round and see what we can spare.

(It would be nice to fit some of my clothes again too.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d argue the opposite, considering nobody here had Ahern even in the discussion this week to come in...
I feel like Ahern might be one of Shaw’s favourites.
He has all the skills & can find the pill, he just seems to lack the urgency to make it at the level.
Shaw sees something he likes, like we all have. He is a bit of the forgotten man.
When he first come on the scene, he was racking up touches as a fat kid & we all thought we could build a midfield around him, LDU & TT.
Hope he can pull his finger out, cause this year could be do or die for him, if list sizes are reduced as expected.

I dunno if that is playing favourites in the sense we used to use (re Scotts) or trying to develop and get the best of a young player with unfulfilled potential.

Very interested to see how the younger guys go this week. It is probably the first time they have had any real media attention/expectation. The wins last year against Richmond and Collingwood were good but didn't shift any perceptions outside of the club and supporters. The GWS win obviously has to some extent.

Hoping (and confident) that the boys will come out with the right mindset and get the result.

Any one else feeling concerned about this game? History tells us that the Swans generally turn up against us no matter how good or bad their list may be. I'm hoping that we maintain a discipline attitude towards this game and keep a sustained pressure gamestyle to get over the line. Come on boys!

Very interested to see how the younger guys go this week. It is probably the first time they have had any real media attention/expectation. The wins last year against Richmond and Collingwood were good but didn't shift any perceptions outside of the club and supporters. The GWS win obviously has to some extent.

Hoping (and confident) that the boys will come out with the right mindset and get the result.

We are missing Larkey and LDU from those games.

But have added Taylor, Hayden, Scott (GWS), Murphy (StK)

Simpkin had a big game against Collingwood in 2019, however I feel like the load has been more evenly spread on the kids as apposed to those games where it was very much peak Cunnington, Higgins. Brown also kicked 5 against the Tigers.

Another thing that feels different is that Brown has barely fired a shot so far this season, but we are still winning.

Just a different feel around this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back