Preview Round 3 North vs Swans Saturday 1:45 pm: Changes & pre match discussion @Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are missing Larkey and LDU from those games.

But have added Taylor, Hayden, Scott (GWS), Murphy (StK)

Simpkin had a big game against Collingwood in 2019, however I feel like the load has been more evenly spread on the kids as apposed to those games where it was very much peak Cunnington, Higgins. Brown also kicked 5 against the Tigers.

Another thing that feels different is that Brown has barely fired a shot so far this season, but we are still winning.

Just a different feel around this team.
I agree about the different feel, but what I meant was since Sunday there's been an AFL article regarding how Jy is going to join the "elite" (which didn't come after his games against St Kilda or Collingwood last year), radio chat about Zurhaar and praise for TT. There is now an outside expectation that none of these guys have felt before, or certainly not to this extent.

I just want to see them come out with the same approach we saw on Sunday. Confident we will.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rampe will be giving up 11cms to Brown.

It's time to carpet bomb him from the air.

I want to see precision kicks to Brown with arms fully outstretched on the lead, hopefully somewhere inside the forward 50 (and not up on the wing.) The last thing we need are bombs into forward 50, that doesn't work these days as teams are too smart at playing team defence/3rd man up. Plus Brown isn't a great pack mark, we need to play to his strengths.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I agree about the different feel, but what I meant was since Sunday there's been an AFL article regarding how Jy is going to join the "elite" (which didn't come after his games against St Kilda or Collingwood last year), radio chat about Zurhaar and praise for TT. There is now an outside expectation that none of these guys have felt before, or certainly not to this extent.

I just want to see them come out with the same approach we saw on Sunday. Confident we will.

To be fair, you need a consistent body of work before the media will jump on you as anything more than promising.

Zurhaar is backing up his 2019 and Simpkin is backing up the second half of his 2019, hence the media attention is starting to come.

I think they will be fine, it might even fuel someone like Zurhaar, give him even more swagger.

Similar with Simpkin, he might feel more comfortable and fuel his confidence, to come even further out of his shell as he's a pretty mercurial player with plenty of tricks.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The fact that Marley is on the emergency list and Bailey is not sighted probably adds weight to the notion that Aherns inclusion is very much a tactical move. The general plan would be that Marley replaces Bailey. However, for the Swans game, Ahern is viewed a more suitable for the team matchups? Of course, if Bailey is sore/rested/nursing something, then...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scott has been omitted. No player likes to be dropped. If he's sore/injured and he was listed as "omitted," I reckon he'd be pretty dirty (and rightfully so.)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Scott has been omitted. No player likes to be dropped. If he's sore/injured and he was listed as "omitted," I reckon he'd be pretty dirty (and rightfully so.)

I think the other option is Bailey is playing a full game today.

Meaning he's not a viable emergency anyway.

True. Anyway, Shaw’s comments have pretty much confirmed my original comments. Marley would have replaced Scott in normal circumstances. However, Scamper feels Ahern works better against Sydney.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
True. Anyway, Shaw’s comments have pretty much confirmed my original comments. Marley would have replaced Scott in normal circumstances. However, Scamper feels Ahern works better against Sydney.

I expect Marley was kept out of the side by Hayden given he's in Marley's spot.

Ahern looks to have taken Scotty's spot in the midfield.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where has all this noise come from that Ahern has come back out of shape? He looks the same as he always has, he just has that type of body.
I just can’t imagine Shaw playing someone second week back after coming back out of shape, it just wouldn’t happen.

Anyway happy with his inclusion and if he can get 12-15 kicks going forward under the roof, it will go a long way to us winning.

Last edited:

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be fair, you need a consistent body of work before the media will jump on you as anything more than promising.

Zurhaar is backing up his 2019 and Simpkin is backing up the second half of his 2019, hence the media attention is starting to come.

I think they will be fine, it might even fuel someone like Zurhaar, give him even more swagger.

Similar with Simpkin, he might feel more comfortable and fuel his confidence, to come even further out of his shell as he's a pretty mercurial player with plenty of tricks.
Agreed, just want to see that it continues now that that attention is starting to come. FWIW I do think that it will.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Add
We are missing Larkey and LDU from those games.

But have added Taylor, Hayden, Scott (GWS), Murphy (StK)

Simpkin had a big game against Collingwood in 2019, however I feel like the load has been more evenly spread on the kids as apposed to those games where it was very much peak Cunnington, Higgins. Brown also kicked 5 against the Tigers.

Another thing that feels different is that Brown has barely fired a shot so far this season, but we are still winning.

Just a different feel around this team.

yes thats the fundamental reason why, is because its not reliant of the guns you mentioned, cunners/higgins get tagged - simpkin stands talk, BBB finding his feet, Zurhaar kicks 3 and multiple young goal kickers. This is why I am up n about, 17 round season shorter quarters, surely the kids can punch through?

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We just beat GWS away for the first time since they had Israel Folaus and oHaIlP'iN playing. Can pick whoever he wants.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, sydney is more difficult in that there is added pressure on us to win unlike against GWS, in fact there is much more pressure for us not to just win but win big. In gameplay term, sydney has a much less conventional structure due to franklin and reid out and that adds extra pressure in that we matched very well against GWS because they had the 2 big forwards and we had the 2 key backs. This time around, our big key back don't get to show their superiority as shitney doesn't have 2 big talls. With shorter terms, we have less time to get use to a different team dynamic hence we have to make sure shitney long bombs so that tarrant and walker gets into the game. On the offensive side of things, we need to try to single out ziebell with a smaller defender and also get BBB to be on the lead and finishes with a giant leap.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Add

yes thats the fundamental reason why, is because its not reliant of the guns you mentioned, cunners/higgins get tagged - simpkin stands talk, BBB finding his feet, Zurhaar kicks 3 and multiple young goal kickers. This is why I am up n about, 17 round season shorter quarters, surely the kids can punch through?

When cunnington and higgin gets tagged, cunnington go to goal square, higgins goes to half back, let anderson, hall and simpkin run a bit. Also get Thomas in the guts for a little while.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The fact that Marley is on the emergency list and Bailey is not sighted probably adds weight to the notion that Aherns inclusion is very much a tactical move. The general plan would be that Marley replaces Bailey. However, for the Swans game, Ahern is viewed a more suitable for the team matchups? Of course, if Bailey is sore/rested/nursing something, then...

Ahern is more useful as he will be able to play half back and mid......

Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, sydney is more difficult in that there is added pressure on us to win unlike against GWS, in fact there is much more pressure for us not to just win but win big. In gameplay term, sydney has a much less conventional structure due to franklin and reid out and that adds extra pressure in that we matched very well against GWS because they had the 2 big forwards and we had the 2 key backs.
Yep pretty much a game we would expect to drop under BS.
Hopefully times have changed.

This is another big test for the coach. Maybe the last one to see if he's got what it takes.

We had a big win. The opposition is struggling. We are favourites. Playing great footy. And we have a poor record against them at home.

So far Scamper seems to have faced a situation that exposed every weakness that Scott had and not succumbed to them. Before and after breaks, round 1. Can coach comebacks, hold leads and adapt to changing circumstances. Isn't afraid to back kids to make a difference.

This is pretty much the last thing, well things, he hasn't shown mastery of.

Some have been an issue for us for a while too. Possibly since

Big personal test for Rhyce too. He'll want this and be nervous. So that might help inoculate against smoke-up-ass syndrome.

On the plus side the forward line did alright without Browny firing or Larkey.

In 2018 when we beat them at home, they attacked off stopping Brown. That was Rhyce btw, he was defensive coach. In what was Brad Scotts' finest (some might say only) tactical moment he moved Brown out of the front line of attack and Mase kicked four to win us the game. Until he made that move we were being beaten.

I wonder how Rhyce and Horse remember that night.

I expect Marley was kept out of the side by Hayden given he's in Marley's spot.

Ahern looks to have taken Scotty's spot in the midfield.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

My main point is that I fully expect Marley to be back in the side next week. I don’t believe Bailey will. That’s not necessarily my wish - it’s just what I think will occur. Of course injuries tomorrow would change things up.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is another big test for the coach. Maybe the last one to see if he's got what it takes.

We had a big win. The opposition is struggling. We are favourites. Playing great footy. And we have a poor record against them at home.

So far Scamper seems to have faced a situation that exposed every weakness that Scott had and not succumbed to them. Before and after breaks, round 1. Can coach comebacks, hold leads and adapt to changing circumstances. Isn't afraid to back kids to make a difference.

This is pretty much the last thing, well things, he hasn't shown mastery of.

Some have been an issue for us for a while too. Possibly since

Big personal test for Rhyce too. He'll want this and be nervous. So that might help inoculate against smoke-up-ass syndrome.

On the plus side the forward line did alright without Browny firing or Larkey.

In 2018 when we beat them at home, they attacked off stopping Brown. That was Rhyce btw, he was defensive coach. In what was Brad Scotts' finest (some might say only) tactical moment he moved Brown out of the front line of attack and Mase kicked four to win us the game. Until he made that move we were being beaten.

I wonder how Rhyce and Horse remember that night.
Probably Wood's best game for the club and an example of exactly why he has both supporters and vocal detractors in roughly equal measure.

It feels to me like this is the most significant game North has had in a few years. To go 3 and 0 in a 17 game season is huge. Pretty much every journalist I saw tipped us to finish between 12th and 16th. Hope the boys smash those expectations.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every time we play Sydney I think their undersized backline will be troubled by our tall forwards but it rarely eventuates. That game in 2018 at marvel where JZ kicked 5, Brown 4 and Maj 4 is probably the one exception (but we still lost). Rampe plays on brown every time and in the last 6 games against the swans browns kicked 1,4,1,2,2,1
Due for a big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back