Preview Round 3 (Pride Round) v West Coast @ Swinburne Centre (Punt Road)

Remove this Banner Ad

That made little sense.

Not a good start for you
I'm not going to get involved in a pissing match with you champ. I fully understand and accept that you don't agree and that is ok. We will all hope like hell that she turns out to be a great player

went to the game today and they were great, although I don't think Ballard should be playing until she gets her body in order. Skills are obviously there, but frankly (and I'm sure not PC enough) you cannot have that body shape & height and expect to play

How about Sarah Perkins? Do you think she shouldn’t be playing either.

No one wants to watch women's footy due to the low standard.

What happens when the standard lowers even further with the new teams?

How many years can this continue?
Well, I’m loving watching our girls play, so speak for your bloody self!

Well, I’m loving watching our girls play, so speak for your bloody self!
I love how people love to say that most people don't watch it just because they don't. I think its a better game to watch then the men's because it's back to basics rather than swamp the contest. The girls are just as tough. People who don't watch it are either sexist or just love being ignorant and living in their own misconceptions of life.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No one wants to watch women's footy due to the low standard.

What happens when the standard lowers even further with the new teams?

How many years can this continue?
50k to a grandfinal and the amount of girls playing football suggests you are wrong. But tell us again about how you know that no one watches the game.

50k to a grandfinal and the amount of girls playing football suggests you are wrong. But tell us again about how you know that no one watches the game.

TBF how many of those web purely because it was free ??

As good as it was and as good as the girls played, you'd get a full house every week at AO if you didn't need to pay.

TBF how many of those web purely because it was free ??

As good as it was and as good as the girls played, you'd get a full house every week at AO if you didn't need to pay.

That still shows people are interested. You still have to decide to go, clear out your day, make your way in, etc.

Of course, it helped that the Crows were playing super watchable footy in 2019. We didn't get that crowd back in 2021 (still a very healthy crowd though!)

I find AFLW very entertaining to watch. As others say, it feels more "pure" than normal AFL. Other people won't like it for various reasons and that's fine too. The main thing is there is now a product for young girls to look at and dream about playing at the top level on the national stage someday. That fact alone has led to a massive increase in young girls and women playing footy, which in turn will lead to an improved product over time.

Almost everyone in our 2017 and 2019 premiership sides had to give up footy as a teenager, or didn't even start playing until adulthood. Hell, look at someone like Teah Charlton who didn't play a game until her mid-teens despite wanting to, simply because her Dad didn't realise female footy teams existed for teenage girls! Imagine how much things will improve in ten years time when sides have a whole squad full of women who have been playing consistently for their entire childhood?

Last edited:
That still shows people are interested. You still have to decide to go, clear out your day, make your way in, etc.

Of course, it helped that the Crows were playing super watchable footy in 2019. We didn't get that crowd back in 2021 (still a very healthy crowd though!)

I find AFLW very entertaining to watch. As others say, it feels more "pure" than normal AFL. Other people won't like it for various reasons and that's fine too. The main thing is there is now a product for young girls to look at and dream about playing at the top level on the national stage someday. That fact alone has led to a massive increase in young girls and women playing footy, which in turn will lead to an improved product over time.

Almost everyone in our 2017 and 2019 premiership sides had to give up footy as a teenager, or didn't even start playing until adulthood. Hell, look at someone like Teah Charlton who didn't play a game until her mid-teens despite wanting to, simply because her Dad didn't realise female footy teams existed for teenage girls! Imagine how much thing will improve in ten years time when sides have a whole squad full of women who have been playing consistently for their entire childhood?

Exactly, AFLW marketing will not be crying because they can't attract some men to the game. The popularity amongst girls is off the charts and heading up all the time. Hard to suggest its hardly a game people want to watch. The standard gets better every year and in another 10 years, it will be elite and likely to have fitness requirements along the lines of the men. The competition can only increase its standard at the rate of expansion of grassroots level. Ive seen some girls playing u12 that were better than the boys. Make no mistake, its getting better all the time.

It's certainly getting better and quickly, but the gulf between the team's is still huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to the days when like swimming we will full on in body shaming and talking physique required to play.

I didn’t get to the game on Saturday, but I was very impressed with Ballard on her debut. I thought she read the play well and her kicking is top notch.

The most exciting thing about this season so far is the improvement in some of the players who’ve been in the system a year or more. Woodland, Jones, Biddell, Gore are all in career best form, and Rajcic is playing well (even though our defence wasn’t too busy on Saturday. And Thompson, imho, is playing better than her AA season albeit in a very different role.

I didn’t get to the game on Saturday, but I was very impressed with Ballard on her debut. I thought she read the play well and her kicking is top notch.

The most exciting thing about this season so far is the improvement in some of the players who’ve been in the system a year or more. Woodland, Jones, Biddell, Gore are all in career best form, and Rajcic is playing well (even though our defence wasn’t too busy on Saturday. And Thompson, imho, is playing better than her AA season albeit in a very different role.

Agreed, and I'll put Charlton's name in that list as well. Hatchard is also playing as well as she's ever played (her slow start and eventually injury in round 3 aside).

Ahh I see, you're body shaming another player.

To be fair, brucetiki brought Perkins up. She is probably an example of someone who is hampered by her size in comparison to others at AFLW level. She is still good enough to play at the level and in some situations her size is a strength, but I think most would agree that she could be a better player if she was carrying less weight.

Whereas I wouldn't say the same for Ballard at all. She reminds me a bit of Scheer actually, relatively short, low centre of gravity and strong through the hips. Not to mention she reads the play well and has a lovely kick. I'm keen to see how she goes next week, assuming she holds her spot when players return (surely someone like Simmonds goes out before her?)

Coaches votes in for the match

9 Eloise Jones
8 Ebony Marinoff
7 Erin Phillips
2 Marijana Rajcic
2 Sophie McDonald
1 Sarah Allan
1 Evie Gooch

So that breaks down to:

Eloise Jones: 5 + 4
Ebony Marinoff: 3 + 5
Erin Phillips: 4 + 3