Preview Round 3 (Pride Round) v West Coast @ Swinburne Centre (Punt Road)

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Round 3
West Coast v Adelaide
Saturday 22 January
Swinburne Centre (Punt Road)
12:40pm

After 2 solid home wins, the girls travel to...Melbourne...to take on West Coast as part of Pride Round. The girls held off a strong finish from North Melbourne, while West Coast had the dubious honour of losing to Gold Coast.

A win will take us to 3-0 - the only other time we've started a season 3-0 was the inaugural season (2017).

This week is also Pride Round. The club has fully embraced the theme with some nice socials. Hopefully another pride guernsey will be rolled out for the game.

Fun fact - each side would have played on 3 different grounds in the first weeks of the season.

Last edited:

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
As expected, we have a pride guernsey this year, which will also be worn next week at home. Similar to last year’s but with rainbows on the shoulders as well.

On the flip side, West Coast are the only side not to produce a pride guernsey this year. It sorta reads like they forgot to design one.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
As expected, we have a pride guernsey this year, which will also be worn next week at home. Similar to last year’s but with rainbows on the shoulders as well.

On the flip side, West Coast are the only side not to produce a pride guernsey this year. It sorta reads like they forgot to design one.

The Crows guernsey looks so similar to last years that I thought it was the same.
I read it as West Coast do not want to partake in representing and supporting by having a guernsey and making up excuses like tradition/history etc. As the only club not participating, it looks really bad.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The Crows guernsey looks so similar to last years that I thought it was the same.
I read it as West Coast do not want to partake in representing and supporting by having a guernsey and making up excuses like tradition/history etc. As the only club not participating, it looks really bad.

Absolutely it's a terrible look for West Coast, especially as the odd club out.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Gee, things starting to fall apart a bit. I hope they can keep the wheels on well enough to see this season out - the 2020 season getting stopped just a couple of weeks before it concluded was such a huge disappointment.

Obviously the players need to be safe first and foremost. I just hope they can find a way to make it all work.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait and see until selection tonight to see if any of the starting 21 from last week got caught up in any of the COVID protocols leading to more changes other than Gould for this week. Not supposed to be named yet but saw on socials the ever luckless Maddie Newman again won’t break into the team this time through protocols as she posted that video from iso of Matthew Clarke on Instagram dancing outside in the panda suit…

That is a sentence I never thought I’d type.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait and see until selection tonight to see if any of the starting 21 from last week got caught up in any of the COVID protocols leading to more changes other than Gould for this week. Not supposed to be named yet but saw on socials the ever luckless Maddie Newman again won’t break into the team this time through protocols as she posted that video from iso of Matthew Clarke on Instagram dancing outside in the panda suit…

I feel like I'm missing something. Several things even.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
His exact comments [in response to a question asking him to comment on them not having a pride jumper this year] were:

"I've got a simple view. That's not my role. I talk about footy, not what we're wearing.

I think we've done the pride stuff to death to be honest.

I want to talk about the footy, not the jumper."

He could have easily said the first and third lines and left the second line out, and he probably would have been okay. Making a point of saying that second line reveals his true feelings.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Yeh I was wondering full context - I was hoping it was a poorly worded "I've been asked about the jumper enough it's been done to death"

But that doesn't look like that, really

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Geez. True colours coming out, I see. Because, you know, LGBTQ+ individuals no longer face any discrimination or harm for simply being who they are, or anything like that.

I wonder what the West Coast players think about those comments?
I'd be lobbying for a new coach or jumping from West Coast to Freo if I were the players.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

Looks like only Munyard is in covid protocols (Newman possibly as well, as I think they're good friends). Got lucky. Hopefully no one else is affected in the coming days.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

This is a seriously bad take, from the WCE head coach

He should be sacked for that, and West Coast fined heavily for those comments. One could argue it’s a breach of the vilification rules as well.

I knew West Coast’s AFLW side were a basketcase, but this is special level.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would’ve liked them to have looked to the future instead and selected Tonon over Considine, Ballard gets a debut instead, probably a good game to debut in.

Interested in how she’ll go, I always thought the SANFLW was probably her level and was shocked she got drafted ahead of some others but I had similar theories on another sub 160cm player from West Adelaide so hopefully I’m wrong again.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Considine in! I mean, sure, she's as fit as a fiddle but geez, I have bad memories of the last time she came in for Chelsea Randall. I hope they don't stick her in the backlines again. Let her rotate between the wing and maybe high half-forward. She's a pretty long kick so maybe she can snag a long goal.

Good to see Ballard get a match. Shame for Munyard to miss out due to Covid protocols but to be honest, she was probably on the borderline for selection anyway. And Hewett in to replace Gould is obviously a no-brainer, will be interesting to see how she goes.

Prowse on the emergency list, along with Whiteley. I'm still not sure where Whiteley fits in, but I guess she's decent depth if nothing else.

Back